View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler Wood
Meekel1
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 5:05 AM

Comments: 0

Hi everybody, I'm new to the site so bear with me. I recently bought my first Whaler a 1985 Super Sport 13'. all the wood needed to be taken out and refinished so in my excitement i took it out without making any reference to where everything went or which screws (different lengths) go where. The wood is finished now and i want to get this thing in the water. I'm looking for a resource on what goes where and if there is a specific order that it gets replaced in. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! Mike

Jeff Lohr
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 7:40 AM

Meekel 1, I have a 1979 15'. I believe there is a schematic of the actual build specs you can get from Whaler, depicting reinforced areas, wood, etc. You may want to reach out to them or discuss with Tom Clark on this site he knows more about classic whalers than anyone from what I have read. Good luck. Jeff

tedious
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 8:38 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Hi Mike - I've had the interior out of two different Supersports and the screws were done quite differently. Putting things back together is more trial and error than anything else. Basically just take your time, consider what you're doing and the available screws, and make sure you don't do anything silly like driving a screw right out the other side of a piece. I have done the reassembly 4 times total on two different boats, and I've always had to make one trip to the hardware store at least.

Put the side rails on first - they should take your longest screws - and go from there. Where you are screwing into the hull, you'll want to fill the hole with caulk before putting the screw in. The proper screw is an oval head stainless, with a stainless finish washer. If you use a poly washer under the finish washer it will keep you from digging into that new varnish.

Good luck and welcome to Whaler Central!

Tim

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 12:34 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Jeff Lohr wrote:
I believe there is a schematic of the actual build specs you can get from Whaler, depicting reinforced areas, wood, etc.

We have many of the Classic Wood Locating Diagrams available in our Downloads section under Reference in the Menu bar at the top of this page.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...nloads.php

But I think he is asking which screws go where, not where the wood goes.
He already has the screw holes in his boat and just wants to put the wood back where it was.

MG56
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 4:37 AM
Personal Page

There's a parts manual on this page >>>
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=3

These are install instructions for Sport model >>>
https://www17.corecommerce.com/~speci...ctions.pdf

sunnydude
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 8:44 AM
Personal Page

Interesting reading. I believe the instructions say to use #12 screws but the original parts list says to use #10.

I am in the process of sealing all my new interior and the #12's seem a bit of overkill.

Thoughts?

tedious
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 10:47 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

On my boat I have #10s connecting the wood to the hull - as long as the screw is holding, no reason to go bigger. My console is put together with stainless steel angle brackets, from the back, and I used #12s there to get a better bite in the mahogany with the shorter screws, and also because a #3 Phillips is a lot harder to strip out than a #2. My sister-in-law's boat uses all #10s.

Tim

sunnydude
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 11:25 AM
Personal Page

tedious wrote:
On my boat I have #10s connecting the wood to the hull - as long as the screw is holding, no reason to go bigger. My console is put together with stainless steel angle brackets, from the back, and I used #12s there to get a better bite in the mahogany with the shorter screws, and also because a #3 Phillips is a lot harder to strip out than a #2. My sister-in-law's boat uses all #10s.

Tim

I have the #12's and used them for the blocking. Will just use them for everything else when I reassemble.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 8:35 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,969,279 unique visits