View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow rail or no bow rail?
BBQ Boy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/16 - 7:54 PM

Comments: 0

That is the question. I just bought a restored 1977 Montauk with side rails, but the owner didn't re-install the bow rail. He cited that they are a pain and are crotch crushers when boarding. I like the way it looks on the Montauks as it gives the boat a more classic look and it gives off the appearance of making the boat look larger.
Thoughts?

(please follow guideline #1 at the top of this page and use the full 4 digit year. Thanks)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/24/16 - 12:05 PM

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/16 - 6:07 AM

We owned a Dauntless 16 with a bow rail. It was moderately inconvenient for fishing when you had to fight a big boy and work from all angles on the boat. I think it added some safety but in the ten years we owned the Dauntless I can't remember it ever helped keeping someone aboard.

We now have a 190 Montauk bought new without the bow rail. That was a delete option. It's much better for fishing. Yesterday I hooked up with a huge fish (probably a Jack Crevall) in the Mobile River and that rascal dragged me all around the boat perimeter before finally breaking the line. It would have been much more difficult to manage that fish with a bow rail as my partner had to quickly lift the anchor rode so I could move beneath it.

Our Sport 13 does not have a bow rail and we don't miss it.

A bow rail is unnecessary for some owners. That's why it's a delete option on some models. If I had a couple of little guys on the boat I'd probably opt for the rail.

Butch

ClawFishing
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/16 - 6:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Depends on what you use the boat for. If you fish a lot then going without it is easier. If you have smaller kids you might want to have it for safety.

BBQ Boy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/16 - 7:03 AM

My kids are 12, 10 and 5. This boat will be used some for inshore fishing, but mainly for cruising and beach/sandbar hopping.

bradsc
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/16 - 9:38 AM
Personal Page

I thought about this a lot. I have the rails on and was thinking about taking them off. I fish from the bow when inshore fishing and I have used/needed them on several occasions. My thigh will rest against them to keep steady. I have used them off shore a time or two. In Islamorada I would cast from the bow along weed lines and would hock up schoolie dolphin. The rails came in handy then!

If they are off now, see how it goes. My little 15 did not have the bow rails and I liked how that looked.

We put in at IOP and boat/fish all over Charleston. My boat is Fins Up...will look for you at Reds.

BBQ Boy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/16 - 8:10 PM

bradsc wrote:
I thought about this a lot. I have the rails on and was thinking about taking them off. I fish from the bow when inshore fishing and I have used/needed them on several occasions. My thigh will rest against them to keep steady. I have used them off shore a time or two. In Islamorada I would cast from the bow along weed lines and would hock up schoolie dolphin. The rails came in handy then!

If they are off now, see how it goes. My little 15 did not have the bow rails and I liked how that looked.

We put in at IOP and boat/fish all over Charleston. My boat is Fins Up...will look for you at Reds.

Oh cool. I'm in Charleston as well, but on the other side of the harbor in West Ashley. I'll look for you, but i don't feel adventurous to cross the harbor much in this boat. LOL

Cape Codder
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 11:32 AM

All of our Boston Whalers have always had the full complement of SS retailings. Why? Kids and now, grandkids.
Also, for our use, fenders are a must, and they are far easier to use and adjust from the railings.
Also, we boat in some vicious, treacherous waters. Can't tell you how many times grabbing those railings keeps you inside that boat!!! One of the reasons we choose Boston Whalers is SAFETY. I think we're much safer with the railings.

bradsc
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 3:37 PM
Personal Page

know what you mean about crossing the harbor. Sometimes it will knock you teeth out. Good luck and enjoy your boat.

Perichbrothers
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/16 - 10:03 PM

There have been a few guys that trimmed the height on their bow rails.
I'd consider that if the insert pieces aren't too crusted up.
TP

Walt Krafft
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/16 - 6:26 AM

When my fishing was trolling for salmon on Lake Michigan, I had the bow rails on and used them not only for the safety, but to hang fenders, rod holders, and outrigger ski poles. Now that my fishing is for bass on inland lakes, they are off the boat. Depends on your use of the boat whether to have them on or off.

wspmatt
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/16 - 1:44 PM
Personal Page

I HAVE A 1989 20' OUTRAGE IN MOBILE, AL WITH THE BOW RAIL...HAVE ANY OF TAKEN AN EXISTING RAIL OFF AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO ABOUT THE SCREW HOLES LEFT AFTER TAKING IT OFF?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 8:39 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,991,272 unique visits