View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Under the Tank
floater88
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/16 - 9:18 AM

Comments: 0

I had some water intrusion into my tank and it stopped both motors from running. I took out the tank and had it sandblasted and coated with a poly urea. It's a 1988 Revenge 20 WT. I'm going to be putting the tank in soon and would like to know what to put under the tank? When I removed it there was some material under there but I threw it away along with all the soggy foam. I'm going to affix the neoprene strip that is still in the bottom of the 'coffin' with 3m5200 to the bottom of the tank. I would like to put something else under the tank to protect the gel coat. Any ideas what I can use? I'm not planning on foaming in the new tank. I'm going to use that blue board insulation from Home depot and make sure it doesn't reach the bottom so I have some air flow. Thanks

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/16 - 9:40 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I would not use insulation board.

Reinstall the neoprene strip without the 3M 5200. It is unnecessary.

For those not wanting to foam in the tanks, materials used to keep the tank secured include composite board (phenolic, starboard etc) and hose.

Use rubber strips under the metal straps.

Typically the floor of the cavity have angled strips or sections of hose that allow water to travel to the bottom of the V and to the rear of the cavity. For the side walls, angled strips or hose sections are installed.

Use adhesive (i.e 3M 4200) to attach the strips, not fasteners.

Here are photos from Chris LeBlanc, a member who also owns The Boat Shop, Ltd in Nova Scotia.
http://s9.photobucket.com/user/95Outr...6&o=44

Edited by Phil T on 06/18/16 - 9:43 AM

floater88
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/16 - 9:56 AM

Thanks Phil T. What are the strips on the bottom of the coffin made of? Can I use rubber there or neoprene? Are they secured to the gel coat and the tank just rests on them?

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/16 - 9:57 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Will double check and get back to you.

floater88
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/16 - 10:14 AM

You also mentioned hose. What do you mean? Garden hose or fuel hose? Anything with a wide diameter? Thanks

floater88
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 4:34 PM

Bump this topic as I'm in the process of installing my tank now. What can I use to fill the voids around the tank? I was thinking of pool noodles or anti fatigue mats all crammed in there.

VA Whaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 9:46 AM
Personal Page

Floater, for what its worth I have the tank out of my 1979 22' Revenge and I plan to build a frame out of composite lumber to secure it in place. Whenever I need to remove the tank, I'll simply need to lift out the framework.

Personally I would not put anything that would absorb and retain moisture under the deck.

Not sure how your boat is designed but there was not originally a low drain connecting the coffin to the fish locker that is just downstream. The only coffin drains were just below the deck. The idea was the water would collect on top of the tank and then drain into the fish locker. Good theory but most of the water would find its way to the bottom of the coffin and get stuck there.

IF you do not have a low drain connecting the coffin to the fish locker or engine well you might take the opportunity to create one now. Otherwise you will quickly have standing water in your fuel tank coffin and it won't have any way to escape.

Good Luck

John

floater88
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 1:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic with my tank installed and all hooked up. Under the tank you will see the strips of Vitone (?) rubber I've placed there. They are gas resistant in case of future spills or leaks.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o3...pqnp2x.jpg

I installed a 1/2 inch hose through the lower hose from the rear bilge that the ground wire usually goes through. This hose is fastened to the Coffin side.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o3...y5jkvr.jpg
The other end of this hose will feed into a 12 volt pump that will drain the coffin for me when ever I need it too.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o3...ac7t9f.jpg
I picked up some Fatigue Mats and will use those to jam in around the sides of the tank. I tested the mats by pouring gas on a piece and it didn't appear to have any effect on it. I then tried lighting it on fire and it would even burn! I will jam in these mats around all sides to keep the tank from shifting around while under way. Thanks

Edited by Phil T on 09/15/16 - 10:30 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 12:59 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,706,480 unique visits