View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rewiring Bow & Stern lights on 1989 Montauk
JjRowleyMA
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/26/16 - 6:37 PM

Comments: 0

Hi, I have seen a few older posts regarding replacement of wires to both lights. They tell me the basics but I am clueless. I can't get the lights to work and was just going to run new wire if possible. Can I simply tie in to the old wire and snake it through? Are there any videos or photos of the process? Is this a reasonably simple project?
Can anyone provide specifics on how to tackle this? I have some mechanical ability but I'm not an electrician.
Thank you in advance.

(please follow guideline #1 and use the full 4 digit year)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/27/16 - 11:10 PM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 8:18 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Before replacing wires.

Replace bulbs.
Clean the light sockets in both bow and stern.
check/replace fuse
check switch

Often it is a bad connection. Happened to me twice. Report back and then we can walk you through it.

JjRowleyMA
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 2:11 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice. I don't want to play simple here but I can't find any type of fuses or fuse box.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 3:39 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

See this members personal page.
He shows both types of panels, new and ole style.

The old style has push/pull switch and fuses for the lights, etc.

The new style has rocker switches and circuit breakers for the lights, etc.

Which style do you have?
Check the fuse by the Nav Light switch first.

After that, a test light is a must to check for power at the incoming side of the switch and then to make sure you have power when it leaves the switch once it is turned on.

It is very simple and many people try to make it complicated.
So, lets keep it simple.
Power before the switch and power after the switch is where we want to start.

1. Power on the incoming side of the switch tells us we are connected to a good battery and the fuse is good.
If no power coming in, then the wire is broken or disconnected and/or the fuse is blown.

2. Power on the outgoing side of the switch tells us the switch is good when the switch is pulled.
If not, then the switch is bad.

3. Continue on from there to the light bulbs and test those along with the wires to the bulbs.
If you are getting power to the light socket, then you know both the ground wire and the positive wire are good.
If you are not getting power to the bulbs, then you most likely have a broken wire(s) from the switch to the bulb/socket.
You would need to trace it down or replace the bad wires.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/27/16 - 3:45 PM

JjRowleyMA
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 4:34 PM

Thank you, I'm going to try to do that within a week or so. I know it's kind of a mess under the console. Lots of dead end wires and corroded looking terminals. Looks like someone tossed in a hand full of spagetti and closed the hatch. a bit intimidating..

JjRowleyMA
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 5:16 PM

Mine has 2 peg looking switches with 3 settings- top, middle and down. I don't know what they control but I assume bow and stern light? There are 2 empty holes to the right of those switches and I'm not sure what was there previously.

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 6:48 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

JjRowleyMA wrote:
Mine has 2 peg looking switches with 3 settings- top, middle and down. I don't know what they control but I assume bow and stern light? There are 2 empty holes to the right of those switches and I'm not sure what was there previously.

What I showed you were original and newer original.
Looks like yours has been altered.
Maybe think about buying a new panel from Whaler and start your wiring from scratch except for the motor harness which is different.

Here is a newer version of the panel.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...oto_id=834

Now is the time to cleanup your wiring and get to know it before it's too late.

Pull out all dead ended wiring and know exactly where the other wires go and are attached to.
Make sure every wire works and is needed.

Again, you do not need to know the engine harness but it is connected to the ignition switch and instruments.
See these 2 different types of engine harnesses but you most likely have the older "Red Plug" version.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=72

Good Luck and enjoy getting to know your wiring system.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 6:02 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,032,444 unique visits