View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2015 Boston Whaler Conquest-Review-Complaint
bcoastal
#21 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 1:11 PM

Comments: 0

I have read your crap on other forums. You need to focus on what you can fix. If they are working with you to fix the problem then be happy. If your this upset then you should sell the boat. Sorry you had a bad experience but please try your hardest to handle this like a man.

Perichbrothers
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 1:13 PM

I had a kayak shop in Ventura for a long time with a dealership county exclusivity.
The manufacturer used us as a buffer to deal with issues both good and bad.

Another shop in Malibu dealt strictly with seconds,
which were actually covered under the limited warranty,
but he would never honor it.
I'd take their boat,
swap it out for free and charge a hassle fee.

The shop in Santa Barbara wouldn't do any hatch/custom installs,
and people would drive down.
Both easy money for a poor self employed guy,
but a hassle for a clean hand money middleman.

I'd get referral calls from the factory for warranty/fixit problems all over California.
It seemed like an important part of a dealership to me,
but to other shops that wasn't the quick phone call moneymaker.

If I were you I wouldn't protect or completely trust the one dealership.
There's behind the scenes schmoozing that goes with it that you'll only hear one side of,
and I'm sure my small time operation was just a taste of the big business reality.

TP

Edited by Perichbrothers on 05/15/16 - 1:16 PM

viniadf
#23 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 2:05 PM

Perichbrothers wrote:
I had a kayak shop in Ventura for a long time with a dealership county exclusivity.
The manufacturer used us as a buffer to deal with issues both good and bad.

Another shop in Malibu dealt strictly with seconds,
which were actually covered under the limited warranty,
but he would never honor it.
I'd take their boat,
swap it out for free and charge a hassle fee.

The shop in Santa Barbara wouldn't do any hatch/custom installs,
and people would drive down.
Both easy money for a poor self employed guy,
but a hassle for a clean hand money middleman.

I'd get referral calls from the factory for warranty/fixit problems all over California.
It seemed like an important part of a dealership to me,
but to other shops that wasn't the quick phone call moneymaker.

If I were you I wouldn't protect or completely trust the one dealership.
There's behind the scenes schmoozing that goes with it that you'll only hear one side of,
and I'm sure my small time operation was just a taste of the big business reality.

TP

Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind.

Joe Kriz
#24 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 7:01 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

viniadf wrote:
Joe Kriz wrote:
There is a Lemon Law for automobiles but not for outboard motors that I am aware of unfortunately.

Maybe there should be a lemon law on outboards (and other motor driven devices) too?
Can't be fixed after 3 times in the shop for the same thing and it should be replaced?

---
There is actually a vessel lemon law in a bill format in the nys legislation, it's not law yet, but moving in that direction. There is a federal lemon law but the process will actually take years to resolve and cause me more stress and aggravation.

Plus, I'm not interested in them taking the boat back... just get reliable and correct motors and rigging on the boat and I have to believe it would be okay. I don't want to profit from a misfortune, I just want to be made whole and provided with a safe and reliable boat. Everyone on this forum know BW are excellent boats. I just got one with issues and we are at the stage that the manufacturer needs to step up and do the right thing..

I really wasn't talking about vessels.
I was talking about outboard motors.

If you have a problem with your hull, it has a 10 year warranty and Boston Whaler has stood behind their hulls as long as I can remember and others have reported.

I would also suggest taking your motors to a different dealer.

viniadf
#25 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/16 - 3:51 AM

bcoastal wrote:
I have read your crap on other forums. You need to focus on what you can fix. If they are working with you to fix the problem then be happy. If your this upset then you should sell the boat. Sorry you had a bad experience but please try your hardest to handle this like a man.

-------------------------------------------------------
LOL, thanks for the input... but I don't think they will settle this over a game of beer pong.

viniadf
#26 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/16 - 3:53 AM

Joe Kriz wrote:
viniadf wrote:
Joe Kriz wrote:
There is a Lemon Law for automobiles but not for outboard motors that I am aware of unfortunately.

Maybe there should be a lemon law on outboards (and other motor driven devices) too?
Can't be fixed after 3 times in the shop for the same thing and it should be replaced?

---
There is actually a vessel lemon law in a bill format in the nys legislation, it's not law yet, but moving in that direction. There is a federal lemon law but the process will actually take years to resolve and cause me more stress and aggravation.

Plus, I'm not interested in them taking the boat back... just get reliable and correct motors and rigging on the boat and I have to believe it would be okay. I don't want to profit from a misfortune, I just want to be made whole and provided with a safe and reliable boat. Everyone on this forum know BW are excellent boats. I just got one with issues and we are at the stage that the manufacturer needs to step up and do the right thing..

I really wasn't talking about vessels.
I was talking about outboard motors.

If you have a problem with your hull, it has a 10 year warranty and Boston Whaler has stood behind their hulls as long as I can remember and others have reported.

I would also suggest taking your motors to a different dealer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Joe for the input, wish it was that simple, but I appreciate the idea. I discussed the problem with that path in prior posts, but again, appreciate your involvement in this thread.

viniadf
#27 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/16 - 7:55 PM

Customized Cockpit Table Completed Today..... Just picked it up from APF, Hauppauge. Super nice job
Can't seem to upload photo, larger than 125kb and URL not working for some reason...

Edited by viniadf on 05/16/16 - 8:00 PM

viniadf
#28 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/16 - 4:59 PM

Got boat back today, but had some disappointment news. They replaced the power steering pump (3rd one in the boat in 5 1/2 months of being on the water), but they couldn't replace the wiring that was outlined by Mercury because they said they couldn't snake the new harness wires through. My guess is that we will be looking at a new power steering pump within the next 150 hours. That, and when I got back to my slip with the boat I once again, identified oil or an oily substance, coming from my motors after I trimmed them up. Not very encouraging.

Jeffrey Stone
#29 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/16 - 6:26 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Maybe we could just change the title of this thread to "Disappointing Mercury engine and dealer issues"? It doesn't appear to me that viniadf intended to imply that Boston Whalers are not excellent boats.

Rather that BW dealer response to Mercury repair issues seems to be incompetent. I would demand a complete and entire engine re-rig and wiring harness. If I had to I would involve my attorney. Sure sounds like you got lemons to me.

I am disappointed to hear The parent company Boston Whaler is not taking a more pro-active response on your behalf, especially so if as I interpret from this thread, they are now "related" to Mercury.

I still think it would be a good idea to change the title of the thread Joe if you could coordinate that with viniadf.

We all have a love and passion for our Boston Whalers of a bit earlier generation.

Once you link in partnership and exclusively supply a particular brand of power to a boat from the factory it seems like more of a monopoly if you are unwilling to back the customer with power plant issues yet you exclusively install it at the factory and are derivatives of one another.

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

jollyrog305
#30 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/16 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page

Again – sorry to hear about your troubles and concur that I hope that Boston Whaler/Mercury/Marine Max resolve any/all issues related to your Conquest 285 to your complete satisfaction.

Although at this point, I think the damage is irreversible from all ends – as I believe this experience has left a negative(and possibly lasting) impression about the product(s)/management with the OP - and I would suspect that Boston Whaler and Mercury are not found of the OPs new web sites, name that slogan campaign, etc.

I would encourage that the OP continue to just post the facts/status so it doesn’t turn into the S show like the other forum site has deteriorated too – as I (and reasonably assume others on this forum) hope for a quick, rational and agreeable resolution to this.

Phil T
#31 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/16 - 8:22 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

they couldn't snake the new harness wires through

Seriously? Why did you bother even taking delivery of the boat?

This has already been recommended but here again: You really need to find a better dealer with a Certified Verado mechanic.

It doesn't matter if you have a 100k boat or a 10k boat. Any mechanic that can't install a part correctly should be avoided in spades.

Timf
#32 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/16 - 12:52 AM

viniadf wrote:
Got boat back today, but had some disappointment news. They replaced the power steering pump (3rd one in the boat in 5 1/2 months of being on the water), but they couldn't replace the wiring that was outlined by Mercury because they said they couldn't snake the new harness wires through. My guess is that we will be looking at a new power steering pump within the next 150 hours. That, and when I got back to my slip with the boat I once again, identified oil or an oily substance, coming from my motors after I trimmed them up. Not very encouraging.

Wow - truly incredible.

You have mentioned the reasons you can't use another dealer and that you feel the current one 'has your back'. The fact remains that the dealer has again demonstrated incompetence. They clearly did not do what Mercury recommended and what any good tech may have done at this point.

You are correct - if they are not capable of addressing the root cause of the problems, they will just keep replacing pumps, etc.. And you will waste more of your time, money, and be bringing it back to them in another 150 hours.

If you want the issues fixed, several here have given advice that will help you accomplish that. You can choose to take advantage of that good input (even though you don't like it) or continue with your current strategy and results.

If you plan to keep the boat and are truly concerned about your time, safety of your family, etc, I suggest you consider a different approach.

FrankBama
#33 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/16 - 5:13 PM

I would highly recommend Bridge Marine in Bayville. Rich is the owner and a great guy. His mechanic is Verado certified and top notch. They did a warranty replacement of the powerhead on my 2013 Verado 250 last year. I happened to stop by just as the new powerhead was hanginig from the crane ready to be installed so I spent the next hour watching the mechanic do the install and picking his brain. This guy knows these motors inside and out. Worth a look.

'Yes, I own a Whaler boat. It slides across the sea. Some folks say I'm part of it and I know it's a part of me'

viniadf
#34 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/16 - 8:59 AM

FrankBama wrote:
I would highly recommend Bridge Marine in Bayville. Rich is the owner and a great guy. His mechanic is Verado certified and top notch. They did a warranty replacement of the powerhead on my 2013 Verado 250 last year. I happened to stop by just as the new powerhead was hanginig from the crane ready to be installed so I spent the next hour watching the mechanic do the install and picking his brain. This guy knows these motors inside and out. Worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 16, 2024 - 12:23 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Whaleballs
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,006
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,356
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,934,909 unique visits