View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2015 Boston Whaler Conquest-Review-Complaint
viniadf
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/16 - 8:32 AM

Comments: 0

Has anyone else ran into these issues? Here's my story:
I purchased a brand new 2015 Boston Whaler 285 Conquest and took delivery of this boat in July 2015. Since that time it has been in for repairs many, many times and is currently back in the shop (I think I have lost close to 40 days now due to repairs, in 5 1/2 months). The boat has only been in the water for 5 1/2 months. I got it back April 1st after winter storage and it has already broken down twice. It has the Joystick and twin 250 Verados

PROBLEMS with BOAT/MOTORS
-Leaking Oil from Port Motor, took an entire season for them to eventually replace the power head after many attempted repairs

-Replace chaps, as they were retaining oil from the prior oil leak.

-Boston Whaler improperly rigged the motors (not my words, Mercury's words and I got it documented), causing various faults, error messages and a short circuit that left me stranded at night on the water with no electronics or steering, and caused wiring to melt.

-Power Steering Pump failed and required replacement

-Loss of Steering due to Fault Issues

-Failed forward bilge

-Failed aft bilge

-Defective aft bilge sensors that cause the aft bilge to run for hours with 1/8'' of water present. How long before this burns out, or activates a fuse/breaker and gets me stuck?

-Low Voltage Issues

-Port Motor Overheats due to a defective or improperly installed impeller

-Port Motor Overheats a 2nd time shortly after the first repair.

-Loss of Steering Again, as I was returning to my slip after picking the boat up from repairs

-Leaking Deck Hatch

-Replacing both actuator motors as they are not working 100% properly

-Installing Negative Jumper Wire (still don't know why this is being done, but apparently its a quick fix for something)

-NOW I have a Starboard Motor Oil LEAK, which they repaired.

AS of 5/12/2016
-They are now replacing the port power steering pump, electrical harness and checking fluid lines (as I lost steering twice in one day). This will be the 3rd power steering pump on the boat.

When I reached out to Boston Whaler, they don't care and blame Mercury (even though they are the ones that rigged the boat). When I reach out to Mercury, they tell me that all the issues are under warranty and they are fixing them per the warranty (but meanwhile I am missing a ton of time out of the water and all of these repairs are accelerating the depreciation of my boat, who would buy this boat with a service history that looks like this). On top of this the boat is simply not safe or dependable.

I would love to hear from others on this topic. Has others on here received the same or similar response from Boston Whaler or Mercury Marine when problems arise with their boats?

Edited by viniadf on 05/13/16 - 8:47 AM

jollyrog305
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/16 - 10:09 AM
Personal Page

Wow – so sorry to hear about this. Other than a leaking cabin hatch and the (known) Verado Gen I issues (fuel float) – my Conquest has been fantastic (knock on wood/WhalerBoard).

I did have an issue with the GenSet control board and some components, which was determined to be user error – or more appropriately my under-use of the GenSet (recommended running it at least once a month). But Whaler and the dealer (who also does all the maintenance on the boat) in true customer satisfaction form worked it out with minimal cost to me – as this was WAY out of warranty and would/could have been a significant expense to me.

I have not had to call either Whaler or Mercury that often, but when I have, they have been incredible and very reasonable to work with. Take for example the fuel float(s), when it happened, I called Mercury the next day, who told me that the dealer had already called and that they told the dealer to replace the defective one, as well as any other floats I had on any other Verado’s (regardless of condition) at no charge. A few years ago a “better” float came out – and while out of warranty – the dealer replaced them and only charged me for the mobile charge (which is still a heck of a lot less then getting the boat pulled)

Hope things work out for you…the 285 is a beautiful boat

Edited by jollyrog305 on 05/13/16 - 10:11 AM

viniadf
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/16 - 10:49 AM

jollyrog305 wrote:
Wow – so sorry to hear about this. Other than a leaking cabin hatch and the (known) Verado Gen I issues (fuel float) – my Conquest has been fantastic (knock on wood/WhalerBoard).

I did have an issue with the GenSet control board and some components, which was determined to be user error – or more appropriately my under-use of the GenSet (recommended running it at least once a month). But Whaler and the dealer (who also does all the maintenance on the boat) in true customer satisfaction form worked it out with minimal cost to me – as this was WAY out of warranty and would/could have been a significant expense to me.

I have not had to call either Whaler or Mercury that often, but when I have, they have been incredible and very reasonable to work with. Take for example the fuel float(s), when it happened, I called Mercury the next day, who told me that the dealer had already called and that they told the dealer to replace the defective one, as well as any other floats I had on any other Verado’s (regardless of condition) at no charge. A few years ago a “better” float came out – and while out of warranty – the dealer replaced them and only charged me for the mobile charge (which is still a heck of a lot less then getting the boat pulled)

Hope things work out for you…the 285 is a beautiful boat

------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Mercury has been there for all the warranty repairs but at some point a lemon is a lemon.. just wondering when that point is. I am losing a ton of time from the water and use of the boat and on top of that I'm losing confidence in the boat and don't know WHEN the next problem will arise. I just hope I'm not 100 miles offshore.

As for Boston Whaler, they told me that they would assist and go beyond the four corners of the warranty, but that never transpired after I complied to their request.

Personally I have lost faith in Boston Whaler and Mercury. From reading these threads, and from what others have said, it appears the older Boston Whalers were the true work horses and superior boats. These new Brunswick models with all the technology from Mercury Marine, has been a total nightmare for me.

For anyone interested in more information about these issues, if you are considering buying a Boston Whaler, you can check out the following thread: (please do not point to other discussion sites)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/13/16 - 11:18 AM

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/16 - 12:48 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

It is rare that a new owner reports serious issues. In the last 5 years I recall only one. It involved a windlass that was causing a loss of power and it was very difficult to troubleshoot.

While Mercury and Boston Whaler are owned by the same holding company, they are separate companies.

Mercury is responsible for the engine and Boston Whaler for the hull and rigging.

It is not hard to believe there are issues given the complexity of the 285 Conquest. It is far more sophisticated than the models of the 1960's - 1980's.

viniadf
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/16 - 7:34 PM

Phil T wrote:
It is rare that a new owner reports serious issues. In the last 5 years I recall only one. It involved a windlass that was causing a loss of power and it was very difficult to troubleshoot.

While Mercury and Boston Whaler are owned by the same holding company, they are separate companies.

Mercury is responsible for the engine and Boston Whaler for the hull and rigging.

It is not hard to believe there are issues given the complexity of the 285 Conquest. It is far more sophisticated than the models of the 1960's - 1980's.

-------------------------------------------
I agree. I would just like to see them step up to the plate and take ownership of this nightmare and remedy it, instead of all the patch repairs, which just puts me and my family in an unsafe situation.

VA Whaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 6:04 AM
Personal Page

Wow. Sorry to hear you are going though that. All that puts tuning up a 1990 Yamaha 225 and replacing a deck in an old 1979 Revenge into perspective.

I have seen boats that are for wahtever reason, simply "cursed". If I were in your shoes, I'd have a meeting with Whaler's local rep and layout everything on the table. I would not have any confidence in it either so if they do not put you in a boat that's not a lemon (or at least swap out the engines), get it fixed and sell it. Cut your losses. Then look into a different boat manufacturer that's not tied at the hip with Mercury.

Edited by VA Whaler on 05/14/16 - 6:12 AM

butchdavis
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 7:57 AM

Vini,

I can't say I blame you for venting on this site. Although I would have thought the hundreds of responses your initial posting on another site generated you would have felt vindicated (pun intended).

So, what is the goal of your post? Are you seeking advice from the Whaler community on how to correct the issues with your Verados yourself? Or advice on how to obtain a more satisfactory response from Mercury? Or, are you just venting?

I believe the participants here would like to help you but it's difficult to understand what kind of help you are seeking.

Butch

Perichbrothers
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 9:53 AM

The bummer is that once it's fixed I'd bet the electronics will have issues in 7-8 years,
usually right after the warranty ends.
Kinda like a new car or a computer!
Sadly 15 year old 285 whalers are like 77-95k with dealer costs.
Its a tough spot to be in...
I'm currently replacing morse control cables on a 40' wood boat that have been there probably since the 60's,
only cause there a little sticky!
TP

bradsc
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 11:51 AM
Personal Page

The OP wants new engines He has stated that clearly on another site. It is unfortunate for his troubles but I hope Whaler Central will not trash Boston Whaler nor Mercury. We can provide advice and share experiences, but hopefully we will take the high road here!

viniadf
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 1:13 PM

butchdavis wrote:
Vini,

I can't say I blame you for venting on this site. Although I would have thought the hundreds of responses your initial posting on another site generated you would have felt vindicated (pun intended).

So, what is the goal of your post? Are you seeking advice from the Whaler community on how to correct the issues with your Verados yourself? Or advice on how to obtain a more satisfactory response from Mercury? Or, are you just venting?

I believe the participants here would like to help you but it's difficult to understand what kind of help you are seeking.

----------------------------------------------------------
None of the above. I have come to accept that they just want to provide service under the warranty agreement. Unless if something changes, that's there position. My purpose is to now let everyone know who is interested in buying an upper tier boat, aka Boston Whaler on what you can expect if you happen to buy one of their boats that have systematic and chronic problems. If they don't stand behind this boat, why would they stand behind your boat? When you are spending in the arena of a quarter million dollars, one would think the manufacturer would stand behind their product and provide the utmost in customer service. What they say and the reality are two different things.

viniadf
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 1:26 PM

bradsc wrote:
The OP wants new engines He has stated that clearly on another site. It is unfortunate for his troubles but I hope Whaler Central will not trash Boston Whaler nor Mercury. We can provide advice and share experiences, but hopefully we will take the high road here!

-----------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to clarify this a bit. For an entire season I went back and forth to the dealer for multiple repairs. NEVER ONCE did I complain to Boston Whaler or Mercury Marine during this time. I accepted this as a new boat and they had to work out the kinks. Now this season (2016) started, and once again the boat has been in the shop 3 separate times while the boat has been used less than a dozen times. INSTEAD of the professionals, the experts saying what they would do, and step up to the plate and provide me with a safe and reliable boat, they ASKED ME, what I want. I'm not an engineer or a marine mechanic, and I said, well, since my motors have a history of failing and I also have a history of faults and loss of steering, I believe I need two new motors, installed and rigged by a Mercury Marine Employed Tech. I think that after missing 30 plus days on the water (now close to 40), this wasn't unreasonable. It's not like I requested a NEW BOAT or COMPENSATION. I just want a safe and reliable boat. NOW, because they keep dragging their feet, they are accelerating the depreciation of my boat and making matters worse! I didn't do that, they did by their lack of response to solve the problem. Why should I lose THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on a boat for No Fault of my own? Who would accept that?

So I am not here to BASH Boston Whaler or Mercury Marine. I just want my factual story told so that when people are in the market of buying boats they can make an informed decision who they should give their money to. Further, because of what I've been through, I believe I may be able to help others who are running into problems with their boats/manufacturers as I'm learning how the game is played.

ursaminor
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 4:19 PM
Personal Page

Having read the very lengthy thread you've posted on another site, I can't help but wonder why for the love of all that's holy you have not taken this boat to either A: another Boston Whaler dealer or if that's not an option B: another Mercury dealer.

Seriously, the problem is the dealer / techs that have been attempting to and failing to properly perform the warranty work. These engines have been available for a number of years! The technology is well understood. I'll grant you the joystick steering is a relatively new product but there must be training available to service it. This is not intended as a swipe / criticism of you personally, more of a suggestion that you're wasting your time and peace of mind with the present vendor. I suggest that it's time to seek out another certified Mercury dealer to get the issues resolved so you can get on with enjoying your boat. I wish you the best of luck getting past this and back to enjoying boating.

1989 Montauk 17 / 2012 90 HP Evinrude E-TEC

viniadf
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 6:31 PM

ursaminor wrote:
Having read the very lengthy thread you've posted on another site, I can't help but wonder why for the love of all that's holy you have not taken this boat to either A: another Boston Whaler dealer or if that's not an option B: another Mercury dealer.

Seriously, the problem is the dealer / techs that have been attempting to and failing to properly perform the warranty work. These engines have been available for a number of years! The technology is well understood. I'll grant you the joystick steering is a relatively new product but there must be training available to service it. This is not intended as a swipe / criticism of you personally, more of a suggestion that you're wasting your time and peace of mind with the present vendor. I suggest that it's time to seek out another certified Mercury dealer to get the issues resolved so you can get on with enjoying your boat. I wish you the best of luck getting past this and back to enjoying boating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
GREAT Comments, and let me explain..briefly
1st) There are just 3 Boston Whaler Dealerships on Long Island, NY. Two of them are owned by Marine Max (my current dealer) and the other one is more than an hour away. The boat needs to be commercially shipped due to its size, and of course this isn't something that Boston Whaler or Mercury would pay for.

2nd) There are only a handful of Verado Certified JOYSTICK Techs in the area (personally I only know of TWO), thus options again are very limited. PLUS, and this is a HUGE PLUS, MERCURY has their OWN EXPERT PERFORMING THE DIAGNOSIS, not the dealer or dealer mechanics. So although its easy to blame the dealer, truly their hands are tied. They must get authorization to make repairs. It's up to Mercury to approve them. So what benefit would it be to me to incur the cost to go to another Mechanic when I have one of the BEST Mercury Employed Techs on the boat performing the diagnosis now?

3rd) My dealer has been very accommodating and has a vested interest in making me (their customer) satisfied. They would want me to buy my next boat from them (the sell several brands), continue to store the boat with them and continue to maintain my boat with them. When all of my problems are falling upon deaf ears, its only the dealer who has had my back and will work with me (which they have, and they have been great). What interest or commitment would I get from a guy who doesn't know me or my boat from "adam" after I incur the shipping costs and the additional down time? That dealer or Mercury Mechanic would have to contact Mercury for authorization anyway to proceed or have this SAME Mercury Employed Expert look at the boat.

I hope I answered your questions. I understand your logic and thought process and normally would agree with you, but in this situation I believe its beyond the dealers control and all they can do is be my advocate and assist me in resolving the issues.

Again, thanks for the input..great question and opinion.

Reonainoue
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 7:42 PM

It appears that the current dealer is incompetent.....dealers should be able to fix these issues you mentioned.....BW might be keeping it as a dealer due to the sales volume.

Take it to Hampton Watercraft for the second opinion/fix the issues, and I'm sure they have the skills to make your boat perfect. The thing is they may not want to take care of you as the fuss you made on another site.

viniadf
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/16 - 8:31 PM

Reonainoue wrote:
It appears that the current dealer is incompetent.....dealers should be able to fix these issues you mentioned.....BW might be keeping it as a dealer due to the sales volume.

Take it to Hampton Watercraft for the second opinion/fix the issues, and I'm sure they have the skills to make your boat perfect. The thing is they may not want to take care of you as the fuss you made on another site.

Thanks for the input, but I addressed this in the post just prior to yours.

And as for me making a FUSS... what is someone supposed to do when their boat breaks down over and over and over again, after you have about 300K invested in that boat and only until I made a "FUSS" have I gotten anyone's attention to take this issue more serious. Dealers don't make repair decisions and in my case the dealer is not even diagnosing the problem, a MERCURY EMPLOYED EXPERT is. Even if I went out to Hampton Watercraft, (which is over an hour away and would require a commercial shipper, more cost to me) they would have to go through the same MERCURY EMPLOYED EXPERT to secure the authorization to make the repair. I think what the misconception here is people think I'm bringing the boat to the dealer and the dealer mechanics are diagnosing and repairing the boat incorrectly. That's wrong, MERCURY's OWN EMPLOYED EXPERT is looking at the boat. I've spoke with Mercury Mechanics and each one told me to have this particular Mercury Expert look at the boat, that he's the best. AND HE IS THE GUY that has been on the boat. Heck, I'm not even blaming him. He's excellent. He knows his stuff. As this continues it becoming more and more obvious that there is a systematic problem within the rigging somewhere which is providing some type of irregular voltage which after some time, is causing damage to various motors and pumps on the boat.

The answer I don't have is (although I have my suspicions): Why doesn't Mercury Just pull it all out and do it all over again? They keep identifying the symptoms when they occur but can't identify the cause. As you may know, these motors are very high tech, add the joystick to them, and all of these problems could be arising from one small crimped wire somewhere. The problem is they haven't been able to ID the root cause, and thus the problems just continue.

I sincerely apologize if this post is a bit forward, but when are people going to point the finger at MERCURY and BOSTON WHALER (they are the ones who rigged the boat and there is already documentation that notes that their initial rigging was incorrect) and stop taking cheap shots at the local dealer who is basically just providing a place for me to bring the boat to so Mercury can inspect, diagnosis and direct the repair? Again, I apologize for the interpreted tone of this response. I thank you for your thoughts and input. I would agree with you in 99% of the cases, but not in this unique situation.

Edited by viniadf on 05/15/16 - 3:45 AM

butchdavis
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 7:35 AM

OK, now I clearly understand that the clearly stated purpose of your post on this forum is to warn potential buyers of Boston Whaler boats and Mercury Marine engines that they should not expect any warranty service other than that which is spelled out in the warranty.

Thank you. I'm a bit surprised that any savvy consumer would expect any service above or beyond what is bought and paid for in the purchase price of a product.

Based on your warning I will not expect Mercury Marine nor Boston Whaler nor my selling dealer to replace my Mercury Verado engine if it needs a repair. Clearly, based on your unfortunate experience, I can only expect them to repair the engine.

Butch

viniadf
#17 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 10:57 AM

butchdavis wrote:
OK, now I clearly understand that the clearly stated purpose of your post on this forum is to warn potential buyers of Boston Whaler boats and Mercury Marine engines that they should not expect any warranty service other than that which is spelled out in the warranty.

Thank you. I'm a bit surprised that any savvy consumer would expect any service above or beyond what is bought and paid for in the purchase price of a product.

Based on your warning I will not expect Mercury Marine nor Boston Whaler nor my selling dealer to replace my Mercury Verado engine if it needs a repair. Clearly, based on your unfortunate experience, I can only expect them to repair the engine.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it goes beyond that. People need to be aware that if they run into a situation like mine, where a repair can't be made, these particular manufacturers will hide behind their warranty and instead of providing you a product that you spent over 1/4 million dollars for, then in my case lie (some may say mislead) to you to avoid bad press. I purchased the extended warranty thinking it would be great, I didn't realize it could work against you. As they keep making patch repairs, instead of replacing the defective rigging/motors, I lose time on the water, lose value in the vessel (who would buy a boat that's in the shop every two weeks for repairs) and be placed in unsafe situations. But guess what, they're abiding by that warranty.

Joe Kriz
#18 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 11:23 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There is a Lemon Law for automobiles but not for outboard motors that I am aware of unfortunately.

Maybe there should be a lemon law on outboards (and other motor driven devices) too?
Can't be fixed after 3 times in the shop for the same thing and it should be replaced?

butchdavis
#19 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 12:53 PM

Joe,

Three tries and you're out with these high tech engines seems a wee bit hard for our typical dealer networks. If that became a requirement I imagine engine prices would go up quite a bit. The cost of warranty work has to be inclusive with the cost of all other aspects of a product.

Compare the density of Mercury dealers to the density of Ford dealers then factor in the number of dealers with certified Verado techs to get some idea of the huge delta between automotive vs outboard lemon law capability.

Butch

viniadf
#20 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/16 - 12:53 PM

Joe Kriz wrote:
There is a Lemon Law for automobiles but not for outboard motors that I am aware of unfortunately.

Maybe there should be a lemon law on outboards (and other motor driven devices) too?
Can't be fixed after 3 times in the shop for the same thing and it should be replaced?

---
There is actually a vessel lemon law in a bill format in the nys legislation, it's not law yet, but moving in that direction. There is a federal lemon law but the process will actually take years to resolve and cause me more stress and aggravation.

Plus, I'm not interested in them taking the boat back... just get reliable and correct motors and rigging on the boat and I have to believe it would be okay. I don't want to profit from a misfortune, I just want to be made whole and provided with a safe and reliable boat. Everyone on this forum know BW are excellent boats. I just got one with issues and we are at the stage that the manufacturer needs to step up and do the right thing..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 5:35 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Buda7378
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,014
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.29 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,967,134 unique visits