View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trailer Setup for 1974 Outrage 21
Reel Easy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 7:31 AM

Comments: 1

This question goes to all with this hull. My trailer has keel rollers plus those nasty gang roller assemblies which are coming off. I plan on adding planks on each side and question the best location. I see Finnegan has two quite short planks located very outboard. I am curious why this location. Also might loading the boat onto the trailer be easier if the planks were more inboard. Thanks for your help.

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 10:13 AM

Comments: 16

As you know, all of the boat weight rests on the keel rollers. Be sure you have Stoltz rollers on SS shafts, all well greased. My boats, both the 19 and 21 with same hull configuration, roll on and off the trailers with ease. Double rollers on each cross member highly recommended.

The side bunks, for which I use 2 x 4 x 5' are only for stabilizing the boat from rocking side to side, and all that is needed since you want to keep bunk friction to minimum. I put them under the hull where it is almost parallel to the ground, which means the top of the bunks are just about level on top. It seems to me that the farther out you can go, the more stability you get.

To install, first get the boat firmly resting on the keel rollers, and level side to side. Then do one side first, tightening the bunk bolts just enough so that they are tight, but can still be tapped up firmly with a hammer. Then tighten, and secure the boat firmly down to that bunk with a transom strap, or have someone stand on that side of the boat over the bunk.

Then go to the other side, and tap the bunk up tight against the hull. Now the boat will sit firmly on the bunks, but they will not be taking any load - just stabilizing. Be sure to attach the brackets to the underside of the bunk boards with SS lag bolts, 3/8" x 2" (use a lock washer under the bolt head). Galvanized will quickly fail and rust out.

I have found the best way to secure the boat to the trailer is with a 13' belly strap, run through the stern cleats on each side. Traditional transom straps don't work on this hull because the transom corners overhang the trailer by a foot or so.

Reel Easy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 10:53 AM

Comments: 1

Thanks Finnegan: It's funny in that my thought process on how to do this is just as you indicate but some how I feel more confident with others confirmation. I have double keel rollers however they do need replacing. Will get after this project right away as I can't wait to be done with gang rollers and constant black marks on the hull. Thanks again.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 12:02 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,971,188 unique visits