View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Center console install help!
ffohcyaw
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/16 - 9:07 PM

Comments: 0

Newbie here seeking help with installation of center console [haven't been able to find any resources, apologies if this has already been posted somewhere]...

I have a 17' whaler montauk that for some reason doesn't have a center console, hence I would like to install one. My questions are:

1. How do I drill into the hull, i.e. how can I be sure I'm drilling into the correct places with proper structural support??

2. Do I simply 5200 around the perimeter of the console to ensure adequate water seal?

3. What about rerouting steering cabling from engine, I assume I'll need a new cable? Any suggestions here?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help

mtown
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 4:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Go to site map and see download section. Wood locating diagrams are there. There is also deck layout showing console location.
Also there is an article on steering cable length.

I would not use 5200 at all. Putting a flexible sealant in the screw holes would be better. The screws will be hitting wood substrate if placed properly.

ffohcyaw
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 5:31 AM

Will do; thanks for the reply!

porthole2
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 7:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Cleats on the deck then screw the console in from the sides.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l17...tgzikp.jpg

Edited by porthole2 on 04/28/16 - 7:25 AM
Thanks, Duane

ffohcyaw
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 7:35 AM

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Will need to study this more as I'm new to fastening anything to a boat deck... That makes sense though. What type of cleats do I use then??

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 7:59 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If you look at some photos of consoles installed, you will see the hardware.

The console is attached using an L bracket. The bracket is screwed into the deck and the console. On top of that, there is a wooden trim piece (teak) that is screwed into the bracket.

Do you have the L bracket? Need specs?

If you don't have the teak trim piece, you can get it from one of the whaler wood parts vendors - Blackduck - http://www.blackduckgallery.com/WOODP...PARTS.html

The second to last photo on my personal page shows this detail.

The fasteners should be stainless steel. When drilling through the deck and console gelcoat, you want to bevel the edge of the hole so the gelcoat does not crack. Top edge should be a V.

Seal the holes with polysulfide sealant (3M, Boatlife, West Marine, Sikaflex) and not an adhesive and not silicone.

Edited by Phil T on 04/28/16 - 8:07 AM

ffohcyaw
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 12:35 PM

Ok interesting; No I do not have an L bracket, specs would be great.

Good stuff regarding the sealant too, much appreciated.

Wish my boat looked like yours Phil, hopefully someday. Thanks again

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 12:49 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

If you have a Montauk, there would already be holes in the deck for the Center Console.

Also, you don't mention what year your hull is which would make a difference on how the console was mounted.
2 ways:
1. With wood cleats in the earlier models
2. With aluminum L brackets on later models.

If you have neither of the above, I would use the aluminum L bracket method.
You can see these brackets on some of the members personal pages.
(takes time to look around) If I find one I will post if for you.
Look at the Outrage 18' and Montauk 17' personal pages.
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

If you don't have an L bracket, what parts do you have?
Do you even have a console?
If so, which one?
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=58

ffohcyaw
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 1:14 PM

Hi Joe - Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

I have a 1976 Montauk which the previous owner removed the center console and installed a side helm, I assume for fishing purposes. Anyway I hate the side helm since it renders my knees in my chest when I steer...

I'm looking at purchasing this [because it's economical]:
http://www.boatdepot.com/p-558/sea-li...e-16x21x25

I do not have any parts yet... A previous reply from a member mentioned blackduck gallery

I will peruse the personal pages closer and thanks again for your help

Edited by Phil T on 04/28/16 - 1:53 PM

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 1:52 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

For research purposes,
Do you have MONTAUK 17' on the stern sides of your hull?
http://www.whalercentral.com/images/p...G_1053.jpg

Also, because 1975/1976 was a transition year, does your hull have the smirk or is it smirkless?
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=100

And last, what Stencil number is on the inside transom wall below the motor mounts? and any other info?
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=17

ffohcyaw
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 3:58 PM

I bought the boat over winter and am just about to pull it out of storage this weekend. I will have to get back to you on numbers.

I'm almost certain it's smirkless

Sebastian
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/16 - 7:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have installed a console on my 17 foot whaler, it was previously a supersport. I installed a newer Monatuk console using L brackets mentioned above. I pred-drilled and chamfered the gel coat around the holes so the gelcoat would not spilt. I think I used boat life or 4200 to seal the holes. Lots of great sources on the web detailing how to drill into gelcoat. I also lined the bottom my console with 1 inch starboard to secure batteries etc. Let me know if you have any questions, I've installed 2 different consoles so far on my boat. Once I found an original Montauk console, I had to have it on the boat!

MG56
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 4:06 AM
Personal Page

ffohcyaw wrote:
I bought the boat over winter and am just about to pull it out of storage this weekend. I will have to get back to you on numbers.

I'm almost certain it's smirkless

Assuming the boat is Smirkless you need angled wood strips under the console to allow for the angle of the floor. If you buy the console you linked to you would screw right thru the bottom flange into the wood strips, like the second console on this page >>>

http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=58

You still won't have a Montauk, it will be a Custom.

ffohcyaw
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 10:37 AM

Sebastian -

Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I will keep in mind the resources mentioned to drill into gelcoat.

ffohcyaw
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 10:39 AM

MG56

Very helpful, thanks! Yea that is the downside of using an aftermarket console, non conforming part, rendering it not a true Montauk... Something I might want to reconsider, as I want this to "look right"

MG56
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 11:50 AM
Personal Page

ffohcyaw wrote:
MG56

Very helpful, thanks! Yea that is the downside of using an aftermarket console, non conforming part, rendering it not a true Montauk... Something I might want to reconsider, as I want this to "look right"

It's a lot easier to make things look right when you already have the right parts. Smirkless Montauks only came with a winged console, the same console I linked you to. Even bad ones are impossible to find, then you have to find the right seat.

It's ok to have a Custom, and I've seen some nice ones. The console you linked to is far too narrow, it needs to be 6-8" wider. Did you see the wood locating document?

If it were me I'd make it a Sakonnet, which is zero problem.

Then again, have you seen this thread? >>>

http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...rowstart=0

They have it down to 11 boats to determine the exact HIN #'s of the change from Smirkless to Smirked. You already have a rare boat regardless of what your number is. If you want to exploit that rareness you need to contact Whaler and find out what model the hull was when it left the factory. I assume it was a Sport so that's what you make it.

ffohcyaw
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/16 - 8:13 PM

MG56 - Clarifying question: the console I'm looking at is 6-8" too small?? The wood diagram I referenced shows wood sheathing under the entire console I am intending to install... What am I missing? Thanks

MG56
#18 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/16 - 4:20 AM
Personal Page

ffohcyaw wrote:
MG56 - Clarifying question: the console I'm looking at is 6-8" too small?? The wood diagram I referenced shows wood sheathing under the entire console I am intending to install... What am I missing? Thanks

If you have a smirkless hull you are looking at the wrong wood locating drawing. There are 2 strips of wood 32" on center.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 7:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.37 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,696,174 unique visits