View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Lining the Anchor Locker???
ClevelandBill
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 4:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I take delivery of my new 2015 150 Super Sport today. I'd like to line the Anchor Locker, under the bow hatch, with some type of carpet or foam to protect the boat from anchor scratches.

What materials have worked well? Anything "off the shelf"? Would like to hear suggestions.

THANKS!

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/14/16 - 11:10 AM
ClevelandBill Ferry
m/v SHRUG
2015 150 Super Sport 60hp Merc

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 5:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Bill, I use "DriDek" in the anchor locker of my 15 - it's a flexible plastic grid that protects well, doesn't absorb water, and lets water and air circulate underneath. You can cut it to fit pretty easily - here's a link: http://search.defender.com/?expressio...=0&y=0

I would not use carpet or anything that is going to absorb water - one way ticket to mold city.

Tim

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 7:49 AM

Yes, Drideck. I also use it in the bottom of the RPS and console.

Butch

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 1:29 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

You can also purchase direct from them:

http://www.dri-dek.com

I used 4 squares for the floor and up the sides.
(I also did the entire floor both my boats.)

jvz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/16 - 7:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Line-X or Rhino Liner works great in lockers.. they are doing amazing things with boats and RV roofs/storage bays.....many colors to chose from.

Ageed...Dri-dek under RPS, console, stern seat. I also use it under my Sea-Shocks mat at the helm.

Edited by jvz on 04/16/16 - 8:00 AM

Cape Fear
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/16 - 9:39 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Maybe i'm old-fashioned but I put the rope in first and lay the anchor on top of it.

MG56
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/16 - 10:02 AM
Personal Page

jvz wrote:
Line-X or Rhino Liner works great in lockers.. they are doing amazing things with boats and RV roofs/storage bays.....many colors to chose from.

You don't put Line X on a Whaler until they are so far gone it doesn't matter.

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/16 - 3:58 PM

Laying the anchor atop the line in the locker works very well for most folks most of the time. However, when things get a bit snotty out there and the bow starts jumping up and down the anchor can rattle around a bit. A few pieces of DriDeck is cheap insurance against chipped or scratched gelcoat in the bow locker.

On our 13 we keep the anchor and line in a milk crate under the forward thwart but we seldom have more than two aboard. On the 19 we use DriDeck in the locker.

Butch

jvz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/16 - 5:57 PM
Personal Page

MG56 - Does it really matter in a locker....? I've seen it on some nice yacht fishers....and forward decks on flats boats, it looks great and holds up way better than the gelcoat.

butchdavis
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/16 - 7:10 AM

Taking your boat to a Line-X shop to spray the interior of an anchor locker is far more inconvenient and expensive than using a few pieces of DriDeck. In order for the Line-X to reliably stick to the locker gelcoat the gelcoat will have to be abraded thus destroying it's appearance forever.

Finding a Line-X dealer to take on a small job like that could be challenging. It's a case of, "is it worth the trouble to do a small job like that?"

Butch

Silentpardner
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/16 - 7:23 AM
Personal Page

Spillar Hitches in Austin will do the job with Rhino Liner. I would recommend sanding the gelcoat to rough up the area to be coated, but I don't think it's a requirement. I have taken my pickup trucks to them as soon as I bought them new, and they put 1/2" thick coatings in the beds of them over brand new paint before I got them home. I have never had the liner peel on any pickup bed they did yet, and there have been 6 or 7 of them done so far.

I would use the new anchor locker for a while. If the clanking of the chain on the anchor rode became a nuisance for fishing, I would certainly not be averse to a Rhino liner. I may get one in the Outrage 18 after thinking about this idea, thanks jvz :)

JRP
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/16 - 7:52 AM

Comments: 2

The previous owner of our Outrage 19 lined the port anchor locker with the Dri-deck material and it seems to be an effective, easy solution for protecting the gelcoat. But our Outrage 19 has a fixed anchor roller/platform on the bow where the anchor is nested, at-the-ready. So it's just the 3-strand rode and a short length of chain that are in the locker itself (plus a spare "Commando" anchor kit, but that is in an enclosed protective bag.)

I really like the idea of the rhino liner or other coating, too. But the Dri-deck is probably the simplest to implement, and doesn't make a permanent change that a prospective purchaser might not appreciate if the boat is ever re-sold.

jvz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/16 - 9:43 AM
Personal Page

Funny what these threads turn into....you make a suggestion on what you have seen and read about...some folks take a key word out of context and disregard or do not comprehend the dialogue.

I have been on Whalers my entire life - my current 1986 '18 Outrage is mostly full on OEM - with some nice upgrades...if I coated the locker, a new buyer would not even think twice.

I have had foam liner ,neoprene liner (old wetsuits),life jackets,Dri-Dek and on top of the rode in that locker..I carry a lot of chain and a stern anchor..why not just have it coated...its just a covered locker - If you USE your boat, the locker gets beat up...except when its full of beer,ice and fish.

As Silentpardner stated...it's very easy to have it done in TX. Spillar has done both of my 3/4 ton Silverados, and great trailer work - just 10min up the hwy.

What trouble? My new rubrail cost more and was more of a pain in the butt to install than if I were to coat the locker.

Line-X have been doing boats in Florida & California for awhile....I just heard about the marine applications recently,..thus the reply...they can match Whaler Tan.

ClevelandBill - Congrats on your Super Sport!

Do what's best for you..and get out and use your Whalers!

Edited by jvz on 04/18/16 - 9:45 AM

porthole2
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/16 - 11:37 AM
Personal Page

Dri dek, and it adds an airspace under the rode. Helps for drainage.

Thanks, Duane

jgortva
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/16 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

Rubber household front door mat from walmart cut to fit. Black rubber with little traction spikes. $2.99, no mold, no mildew, and replaceable for less than the cost of a 6 pack of beer.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 6:18 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,057,330 unique visits