View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13 feet whaler for my kids?
Petrus
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 6:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a small whaler for my kids.
What do you think of this one, 13 feet I believe or is it smaller?

http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Boston...16&w=2

Seems to sit quite high in the water (allthough small engine) so hopefully little water in the hull.
I,m thinking of moving the center console forward and add some kind of seat, what do you think of that.
Any other suggestions?

Any idea of which year it is?

Is the 10 hp engine enough to get the boat in to plane.
My kids are 11 and 7 , but I will probably wait at least another year to let them use it.

1997 Montauk 17, Suzuki DF90A

Perichbrothers
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 7:48 AM

Get it!
Any idea what that exchanges too in us$?
Are there many small whalers on the market up there?

I liked the simplicity of tiller steer when my kids were younger,
and they got stronger learning how to pull start!

TP

butchdavis
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 7:54 AM

I have no idea of the age but it's certainly pre-eighties. I seriously doubt the boat will plane with a 10 HP engine. I would sell the console, semi-restore the interior and install replacement side rails.

I believe the 13 is a seriously good starter boat but remember the free board is minimal and the rails help folks remain in the boat. The big console encourages standing which is not, IMO, useful in a 13. The small engine is probably appropriate for the first one or two boating seasons. Once the boys and you are comfortable with their boating skills a thirty or forty HP engine will provide spirited performance and allow towing skiers or boarders.

Butch

VA Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 8:17 AM
Personal Page

Perfect boat for kids and adults who occasionally like to act like a kid. I have owned mine since before I could drive a car (1983 or so) and still have it.

I like Butch's idea of scrapping the center console and installing the traditional seats and rails. You definitely would not want to stand up in my 13 footer (1978), actually probably not a good practice in most recreational boats with low sides.

10 Hp is the perfect size for a starter. My boat originally had a 25 HP Johnson and it did OK. It had enough horses to get me out of the water as an early twenty something (175 lb) on 2 skis and I could then drop one. (Caveat: Only the driver was on the boat--likely a felony these days--and it was in salt water)

I now have a 30 HP Suzuki 2-stroke (bought it in 1992) and it's the perfect size for that boat. Plenty of power and not a lot of weight. Dependable too.

Have FUN!

Edited by VA Whaler on 04/05/16 - 8:19 AM

Petrus
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/16 - 12:25 AM
Personal Page

Perichbrothers wrote:
Get it!
Any idea what that exchanges too in us$?
Are there many small whalers on the market up there?

I liked the simplicity of tiller steer when my kids were younger,
and they got stronger learning how to pull start!

TP

I think one dollar is about 8 sek at the moment so that would be about 3000us$
I have never seen a 13 feet Whaler for sale in Sweden, I don't think many people here see them the same way you guys do.

How much would that boat cost in the US if it is in good condition?

Edited by Petrus on 04/06/16 - 12:26 AM

Petrus
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/16 - 12:33 AM
Personal Page

VA Whaler wrote:
Perfect boat for kids and adults who occasionally like to act like a kid. I have owned mine since before I could drive a car (1983 or so) and still have it.

I like Butch's idea of scrapping the center console and installing the traditional seats and rails. You definitely would not want to stand up in my 13 footer (1978), actually probably not a good practice in most recreational boats with low sides.

10 Hp is the perfect size for a starter. My boat originally had a 25 HP Johnson and it did OK. It had enough horses to get me out of the water as an early twenty something (175 lb) on 2 skis and I could then drop one. (Caveat: Only the driver was on the boat--likely a felony these days--and it was in salt water)

I now have a 30 HP Suzuki 2-stroke (bought it in 1992) and it's the perfect size for that boat. Plenty of power and not a lot of weight. Dependable too.

Have FUN!

I'm thinking of lowering the center console move forward slightley and add a seat. Or change to a side mounted console.
Start with the 10hp and in a couple of years change to 25-30hp when the kids learned how to drive it safe.

Now I only have to convince their mother to put another toy in the garden =)

Edited by Petrus on 04/06/16 - 12:34 AM

Perichbrothers
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/16 - 3:54 AM

I think $3k is close to the west coast askng price.
There's a rough project not selling at $1200,
and a couple nice examples aren't selling for $4k and higher.
Running boats in the $2-3k range tend to get snapped up,
however they usually have a trailer too.
Given the rarity it seems like a deal,
especially if the outboard is good.

I spied your 17',
and it would be the perfect learning package,
watching the big and little whalers together.

Reminded me of the old cartoon,
with the car family that has a baby car that looks like the dad
then the kid changes his body to a hot rod,
but changes it back after getting into an accident,
keeping the hot rod engine...
Anyway it's a classic!

Go make a deal!

TP

norseman
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/16 - 6:33 AM
Personal Page

Hi Petrus,

Few of those here in Scandinavia! I am considering to sell my renovated 13' sport as it is not been used. Lying in Oslo on registered trailer. If interested, you can see it on my personal page.

AH

1980 13 Sport

TookyAndNatasha19
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/10/16 - 10:11 AM

Comments: 1

Hey Petrus,
I just took a look at it. The one thing I would be weary of is that it might of been used in commercial applications because of the custom center console, which means it probably has other custom work done on it. Ten horsepower is also not going to get that boat on a plane. If I were you I would look for a more stock sport 13 with a modern higher powered engine on it.
Good Luck.

Petrus
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 8:16 AM
Personal Page

norseman wrote:
Hi Petrus,

Few of those here in Scandinavia! I am considering to sell my renovated 13' sport as it is not been used. Lying in Oslo on registered trailer. If interested, you can see it on my personal page.

AH

That looked nice, Is it painted or is it gelcoat both inside/outside?

norseman
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 12:11 PM
Personal Page

Petrus wrote:
norseman wrote:
Hi Petrus,

AH

The paintjob is two-component polurethane sprayer on both inside and topsides. If you are considering a restoration project I would recommend to focus on getting the inside as good as possible and spray on a thick two-comp primer. Nice finish on the hull is nice, but the inside is IMO even more important on these small but wide boats.

1980 13 Sport

Petrus
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/16 - 12:45 AM
Personal Page

norseman wrote:
Petrus wrote:
norseman wrote:
Hi Petrus,

AH

The paintjob is two-component polurethane sprayer on both inside and topsides. If you are considering a restoration project I would recommend to focus on getting the inside as good as possible and spray on a thick two-comp primer. Nice finish on the hull is nice, but the inside is IMO even more important on these small but wide boats.

It surely looks great. I'm not in a very hurry to get a boat for the kids but if I have the time this summer and you still have the boat it would be great to have a look at it.
Do you have any idea of the price you want yet?
You can send me an email see my Profile.

Another question, did you rebuild the transom all way up, looks on your pictures that you left som cutout?

Edited by Petrus on 04/13/16 - 12:56 AM

norseman
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/16 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

I did not rebuild the transom as I thought it would look good with a lower mounted short shafted outboard. The missing corner is not very beautiful but I left it as it was. I have been using a 2005 Johnson 30 2 stroke. No electronics at all and very light. Also i put on a new teleflex. I also have a brand new and super nice original cover from Wm. J. Mills & Co.

Regarding selling it, all I know is that I will only Get a fraction of What I put into it. Does anyone here have any idea on what is a fair asking price?

1980 13 Sport

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 4:19 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,849 unique visits