View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Mounts for downriggers 1985 13' sport
sunnydude
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/16 - 1:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello. New to forum and BW ownership. Just picked up a 13' sport and wondering how/where to mount mount a downrigger base. My son is set on us being able to use as well as eventually adding a pot puller.

Boat has the side rails but nothing else.

Thanks.

bradsc
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/16 - 6:28 PM
Personal Page

You could put a rod holder vertically on the railing and then have a downrigger base go into the rod holder. Look at my personal page, under the 15 Sport, how I had the rod holders mounted. I would think it would hold a small downrigger and a light ball. If you want something more heavy duty you will have to design/make a bracket. We kingfish some and I had to make a downrigger bracket and mounts. We use Penn swivel mounts and 8# balls. Look at my personal page.

Edit: look at the 3rd and 4th pictures. Those are the downrigger brackets. The down rigger bases go inside the brackets (pipe) and stick up just over the railing. I had a buddy cut out the stainless steel parts on his water jet, TIG welded them to schedule 40 stainless steel pipe, and then powder coated.

Edited by bradsc on 04/04/16 - 6:45 PM

sunnydude
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/16 - 11:50 AM
Personal Page

bradsc wrote:
You could put a rod holder vertically on the railing and then have a downrigger base go into the rod holder. Look at my personal page, under the 15 Sport, how I had the rod holders mounted. I would think it would hold a small downrigger and a light ball. If you want something more heavy duty you will have to design/make a bracket. We kingfish some and I had to make a downrigger bracket and mounts. We use Penn swivel mounts and 8# balls. Look at my personal page.

Edit: look at the 3rd and 4th pictures. Those are the downrigger brackets. The down rigger bases go inside the brackets (pipe) and stick up just over the railing. I had a buddy cut out the stainless steel parts on his water jet, TIG welded them to schedule 40 stainless steel pipe, and then powder coated.

Ok...thanks. I am wondering if I can mount a Scotty sidemount to the transom: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/downrigger-mounting-systems/1025-right-angle-side-gunnel-mount.htm knowing that I will only run it to port side due to thickness of transom? The wood diagrams say there is full thickness plywood where the kicker motor would go.

Simon
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/16 - 6:58 PM
Personal Page

I picked up a 15 foot sport a few months ago that had downriggers installed, although I don't have it now. The previous owner installed a price of wood on the gunwale, so that it is wide enough to install the bracket for the downrigger.

I plan to do the same but use starboard.

Simon

sunnydude
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/16 - 9:00 AM
Personal Page

This mount is on another 13' with the same rails mine has. Guess that if the attachment of the railing is solid this would work.

sunnydude attached the following image:

[35.29Kb]

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 11:08 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,705,535 unique visits