View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Compass for 1989 Montauk 17
NWWhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/27/15 - 8:19 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

My Montauk currently has no compass. And being a bit of an old-schooler, it just doesn't seem right! Despite my plan to install a GPS/Chartplotter/Fishfinder unit, I won't consider the boat complete without an "analog heading finder".

So...

I want to keep the console tight, clean and well proportioned. Joe Kriz advocated NOT flush-mounting and kindly suggested the Ritchie D-55 as a replacement. But I have a couple of questions:

1. Is flush mounting a compass such as the Explorer F-50 ill-advised?
I recall coming across comments having to do with possible magnetic interference that the compass might encounter with bits from under the console.
Here's the F-50: https://www.ritchienavigation.com/res...ush-mount/

2. Does anyone know if there is a difference and/or benefit when comparing the Explorer deck mount and surface mount versions?
D-55 https://www.ritchienavigation.com/res...eck-mount/
S-53 https://www.ritchienavigation.com/res...ace-mount/

Many thanks!

Doug

(please follow the guidelines at the top of the page and use the full 4 digit year for everything)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/27/15 - 11:14 AM
Live it, or live with it!

bradsc
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/27/15 - 2:02 PM
Personal Page

I have what I think is an F50. It has been a long time. I like the flush mount. I used a hole saw and there were no problems installing it. Flare the small holes for the screws so it does not crack the gel coat. I used some kind of marine caulk but not 5200. Do add additional wire to the factory leads so it will be easier to wire up. Working in a Montauk console is tough.

You will have people say do not do this because of interference. The only wires at the top of my console are the leads for the compass light and for a led light right over the left side access hatch. The GPS is about 4 inches from the compass and the GPS wires come up through the console top on the right side so they are over a foot from the compass.There has never been any issues with interference and the compass is calibrated to the GPS. I agree, I like having a compass. I used it to help steer when I go off shore and it is easier holding a straight heading. I also like to have a back up to the GPS. Mine is in line with the wheel. Look at my personal page and you can see my console set up.

Good luck, there are many ways to do this and do what you think will work best for you.

Edited by bradsc on 11/27/15 - 2:06 PM

Whalerbob
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/15 - 7:12 AM
Personal Page

I have whatever came OEM installed flush mount. The top of my console tends to get cluttered with misc bags and gear so think about that. The only interference I get is if I leave a fishing lure or something too close to it. I think it's a good idea to have but I must say though in 20 plus years with 2 GPS units I can hardly recall even looking at it for navigation.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 12:30 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,625
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,053,184 unique visits