View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Down sizing Whaler from 17' Outrage to 15'
guitarfish
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/15 - 6:42 PM

Comments: 2

Hi, I'm a longtime member but haven't used the site much after the original excitement of getting my 1996 Outrage 17'.

Anyway, I'm thinking of downsizing to a 15' Whaler and wonder value wise whether I should be considering straight trades, or should I be asking cash only and then try to find a different Whaler? I hated the long search for my Outrage and was wondering if it would be faster looking for trades?

I'm easing toward retirement and would like something for lakes and the SF delta. I know I could stick with the Outrage but it just is too much for me moving the trailer around and the like.

Opinions?

TookyAndNatasha19
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/15 - 11:26 PM

Comments: 1

15 footers are great. My wife and I have an older sport 15, and we absolutely love it. Do you really think that downsizing to a 15 is going to make that much of a difference? It is only two feet, and you will be going through a lot of trouble for the two foot smaller boat.

Timf
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 2:03 AM

Comments: 0

I don't know about the value since a lot of that will end up depending on the boat you sell and buy as well as the particular buyer you find.

Some thoughts:

- If moving the boat around easier is your largest motivation and you like
your boat, maybe you can come up with ways to make that easier. Is it
moving by hand that you need to do?

- You may increase your options by considering both a sale or trade if you advertise. Maybe list to sell at a price you like and offer an option for a trade. Trading may be difficult to find someone who has both a boat you want and who wants your boat. But, it would be nice if you found that.

tedious
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page

15s have a cult following, and it does take a while to find one in decent condition. Since they are relatively sought-after, you'll probably be doing well if you can find a straight trade - may have to actually add cash to the deal.

But I'm with the previous poster - can you clarify what about your current boat is difficult for you? I routinely launch and retrieve both a 15 and an 18 singlehanded, and while the 15 is obviously easier, there's not a ton of difference. Maybe there's something you can to to make handling the 17 easier.

I always kind of like the Outrage 17s myself - cool intermediate size.

Tim

guitarfish
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 8:09 AM

Well, thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them. Don't get me wrong, I love being at the helm of my Whaler Outrage. It rides like my previous Striper did, if that is possible. The deep vee is definitely desirable.

My main concern is just the physical strength required to position the trailer and lifting the tongue. Launching and retrieval is easy peasey. But I also have some knee pain at times from work. (Landscape related). My Outrage has a leaning post-bait tank, so no sitting down. Then there is the maintenance. I'm crazy about the hull looking clean. So down on my knees again. The gunnels when on the trailer are chest high, so I'm climbing in and out. And my 21 year old fishing buddy-son has other interests now. Lastly, fuel consumption.

Wow, I surprised myself with all the reasons I should down size. I have a 12' Gregor aluminum with a four stroke too. I have redone it to the point I was going to add a foot controlled trolling motor, but went whoa, why not consolidate sizes too? I have (2) 10' Bass Hunter boats too. And a solid pontoon Hobie Float Cat. I am a boat nut, eh?

Thanks again Whalers!

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 2:15 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

You are giving up a lot of what you like going down to a 15' near shore hull.

The ride of a 15' Sport is horrible compared to your Outrage 17 II. In the bay area I would guess the 15' has to wait for the truly calm days.

There are aids that make hooking up easier. Consider investing in a better motor. A modern 4 stroke or DFI will eliminate the fuel issue.

As I have gotten older I move up not down in size. Boats are meant to be used and cleanliness is relative. When I see boats that are pristine, I think they spend too much time/effort/money on cleaning and not enough on the water.

msd58
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 3:25 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

I would not do it. Its not worth your trouble.

bradsc
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/15 - 5:47 PM
Personal Page

just a thought........why not look at a Montauk. I know nothing about a 17 Outrage but had a 15 and have a 17 Montauk. A 17 to me just gives you so much more capabilities. With the right power you can get well above 7 mpg. With a 22(24) gallon tank that is over 140 miles range. RPS of a 17 is much more comfortable that a much lower seat in a 15. You can go offshore on a good day. There is a small console to keep some gear dry. A bimini top will keep the rain and sun off. I would think the 17 montauk is much lighter than a 17 outrage. Sell a few boats and go with a Montauk.

Pr William
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/15 - 3:17 PM

I agree with the previous poster, a 17' Montauk is worth considering. When I compare my 17' Outrage I to my 17' Montauk the Outrage is a lot more of a handful for me to handle by myself when it comes to towing, launching/retrieving and cleaning. That surprised me because the Outrage is only 9" longer and 250 lbs heavier. I believe you would be pleasantly surprised too and you won't have to give up as much size. I have been in 15 footers and I would say the 17 Montauks ride a whole ton better in the inlet waters of the Northwest. Having said all that don't expect to find nice Montauks for cheap. I would say you'd be lucky to find someone to do an even swap, a classic Montauk for a 1996 Outrage.

(changed abbreviated year per guidelines at top of this page)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/30/15 - 3:29 PM

porthole2
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/15 - 3:08 PM
Personal Page

I Had a 1983 15 CC with a Honda 50 on it.
I bought a 1997 17 Outrage this past spring. Although the boat is "only" 2 feet longer, I would say the 17 is more then twice the boat.
I really liked my 15, but it was a bit small.
My opinion of the 17 is that it is a great 1 person boat if you don't have a companion going out with you.
Compared to other boats I have had and currently have, if I was to downsize it would be for a 17 Montauk.
BTW, my 15 was a great riding boat, even in small craft ocean waters.

Thanks, Duane

EJO
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/15 - 5:52 AM
Personal Page

Go with a 17 Montauk. I have a Montauk 150 with 60HP which I think is a little small for 3 or more people but that's what the Admiral wanted as it was easy to handle. I've heard that my 2008 Montauk 150 weight almost as much if not more than a classic 17 and therefore doesn't really rides that bad.
That said I would go with the 17 foot Montauk as the room is so much better than the smaller one. A 15 sport will be light and un-comfortable. The difference of driving 5 hours in an English short wheel base sports car to driving the same amount of time in a long wheel base American sedan.
I've handled the heavier Montauk 170 by myself and with some wind or current it is a handful like your Outrage 17 to launch or take out.
If you want easier, go with a lighter boat than your current Outrage = Classic Montauk(17) or modern Montauk 150

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

FlyAU98
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/15 - 8:00 AM
Personal Page

The Classic 15s ride great...and like you said are super easy to handle, trailer, etc.

But, the seating isn't the most comfortable in the world, and I suspect it gets worse as you get older. I suspect you may end up regretting the trade down the road...

I love my 15' Super Sport, but ended up buying an additional, bigger boat for the comfort factor.

Perhaps there could be some benefits to you trading to any era 17 Montauk or even a new 150 Montauk... But I'm with the rest of the posters...figure out how to make your current boat easier to deal with....perhaps a new, properly fitted trailer (though I see you are in Cali, where new boats are more affordable than new trailers)....or a new jack stand (I'm not sure why you are lifting the tongue anyways).

EJO
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/15 - 11:53 AM
Personal Page

guitarfish maybe one of those in expensive trailer camera's http://www.iballhitchcam.com/?CAWELAI...oCCujw_wcB and an RPS will do the trick for you instead of changing boats.

Your trailer jack such as the TrailerValet https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...0556944572 or just pneumatic http://www.crofttrailer.com/croft-pne...age=page-1 wheels (sample) should also help.

Edited by EJO on 11/11/15 - 12:08 PM
Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

guitarfish
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/15/15 - 9:54 PM

Thanks again for the replies.

I just wanted to add that I have spent quite a bit of time in a 15' on the CA Delta with Sal DiMercurio, fishing. I don't know if Sal was a member here but he was well known on CW before he passed. I well remember the rides in that sporty little 70hp powered boat.

As I get older I relish the idea of sitting down on my way to the fishing grounds. My Outrage is a super fishing platform with a leaning post / bait tank combo. Just no sitting down unless I have someone else at the helm.

Phil T
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11/16/15 - 8:39 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I had the opposite issue.

I had the RPS on my Outrage 17 and rarely sat on the bench. I made long runs down the Maine coast so I modified the top of the seat back to allow me to sit on it comfortably.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 9:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,697,712 unique visits