View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
How much truck for 25 outrage
Silentpardner
#21 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/15 - 4:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Well, MG56, the "OP" states in his original post the following...scroll to the top to see this for yourself...

Probably about 6500-7000. with a fully loaded with trailer.

bcoastal
#22 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/15 - 7:10 PM

Comments: 0

Thanks for all the replies. Still looking, 10k is probably not enough to get the truck I need.

butchdavis
#23 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/15 - 7:03 AM

Garris,

The maintenance costs for a pre-electronic Cummins are probably less than for a new engine. If one chooses to do the work themselves the cost is even less. My statement on the high cost of diesel maintenance should probably said"higher cost". The oil change interval is much shorter for diesels and the oil and filters are more expensive and fuel filters and in some cases coolant filters also require periodic changes. As you no doubt know shop charges for these services are high.

One advantage seldom mentioned or used any longer is the easy recycling of used diesel engine crankcase oil. I always recycled mine by adding it to the almost full fuel tank. The engines liked it and it was free fuel. I also always installed an after market (Racor) fuel filter on my diesels. Having worked with diesels for virtually all my professional life I was very careful to ensure my engines had the best fuel filtration available.

Butch

JRP
#24 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/15 - 8:08 AM

Comments: 2

I've been operating diesels for several decades as well, but haven't transitioned into any of the truly modern versions with all the emmission controls etc. So I don't doubt that the newest ones are more complicated and costly to maintain. But with these less complex engines I've operated, my maintenance experience has been characterized by low-cost and simplicity. Regarding oil change intevals, I thought I'd mention that my current diesel daily driver has a 10K miles oil change interval (synthetic required). That is significantly better than our other gasoline-engine-powered vehicles.

There are pros and cons to choosing diesel over gasoline and vice versa. But any large displacement engine with high-cylinder count and multiple cylinder banks is going to cost more to operate and maintain over the long haul, as compared to smaller engines with fewer cylinders in a single bank. So I think to a certain extent, higher operating costs go with the territory when looking at heavy haulers such as these pick-up trucks.

If I was in the hunt on the used market, I would stress overall condition more so than diesel v. gas. There are just tons of good gas-powered trucks out there to choose from, but not so many diesels. I think the OP could easily find a solid gas-powered pick-up within his budget, that would haul his boat just fine. But finding Garris' truck might be tough.

As an aside -- for those with less demanding towing requirements than the OP -- Chevy is releasing a new Duramax diesel-powered Colorado (their smallest pickup). It has a 2.8L 4-cylinder with roughly 180 hp and 369 ft/lb of torque. The 4WD version is rated to tow 7600 lbs and, while it hasn't received an official EPA mileage rating yet, there is a good chance it will exceed 30 mpg on the highway (unladen). The 4-cylinders in a sinlge cylinder bank should help to keep maintenance costs down, as well as the 7500 mile oil change interval. It might be an attractive option for anyone with the 18-22 foot Whalers, that also needs a reasonably economical daily driver.

EJO
#25 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/15 - 10:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

JRP wrote:
As an aside -- for those with less demanding towing requirements than the OP -- Chevy is releasing a new Duramax diesel-powered Colorado (their smallest pickup). It has a 2.8L 4-cylinder with roughly 180 hp and 369 ft/lb of torque. The 4WD version is rated to tow 7600 lbs and, while it hasn't received an official EPA mileage rating yet, there is a good chance it will exceed 30 mpg on the highway (unladen). The 4-cylinders in a sinlge cylinder bank should help to keep maintenance costs down, as well as the 7500 mile oil change interval. It might be an attractive option for anyone with the 18-22 foot Whalers, that also needs a reasonably economical daily driver.

JRP great info above and good points you made before. Thanks EJO

MG56
#26 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/15 - 10:42 AM
Personal Page

Silentpardner wrote:
Well, MG56, the "OP" states in his original post the following...scroll to the top to see this for yourself...

Probably about 6500-7000. with a fully loaded with trailer.

I wasn't exactly sure about any of his specifics, I just thought 7000 lbs for a truck, a 25' Whaler and all the gear was a low weight. Which is why I looked up my weigh slip for the Burb and a dump trailer. The dump trailer is about 2500 lbs so just my truck and what I carry in it weighs 7000 lbs +.

As for the OP thinking $10k isn't enough to find a nice older truck? All he has to do is decide what he wants and then take the time to find one. Just like finding the classic Whaler you want. I've said what I would look for with GM trucks so maybe the Ford guys can recommend what they feel comfortable with. Not to insult anyone but I think it will be GM or Ford, and I am not that crazy about Fords.

I also mentioned above that bcoastal could check his rpo codes on the glovebox door to see what axle ratio he has with the 1/2 ton. If he has 3.42 gears that truck is going to be painful for towing, if he has 3.73 gears then he has to buy a 3/4 ton.

Until that day comes I recommend that he drive that truck with the RPM's in the power band and down shift to keep them there. You don't tow trying to get awesome fuel economy, that wears the guts out of your drivetrain.

gchuba
#27 Print Post
Posted on 10/09/15 - 8:55 PM

Butch,
I am interested in the used oil recycling in the fuel. We used to mix old gas and chainsaw mix in the older carburetor trucks. Does the oil keep things nice and coated in there. Great info and I appreciate your input. Is it an advantage to the motor or just a way to recycle?

Garris

orchemo
#28 Print Post
Posted on 10/11/15 - 8:49 PM

I moved from a 1/2 Suburban to a 3/4 Suburban. I am less worried about going fast as I like the 3/4 frame and braking when hauling my 22 ft alumimun boat.

My 3/4 T suburban has the 8.1 L motor and pulls quite well. I am a past diesel owner and do like diesel, but the 8.1 does alright.

butchdavis
#29 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/15 - 8:43 AM

Garris,

Got your email. I posted a response to your ?, but it was lost in the WWW.

Other than saving a few pennies by putting a gallon plus of used engine oil in the fuel tank and avoiding donating your used oil to a recycler there is no advantage.

For fleets and large engine users the advantages are much greater. When one deals with thousands of gallons of lube oil per year as I once did at work the savings become very significant.

Butch

JRP
#30 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/15 - 2:14 PM

JRP wrote:...

In case anyone is interested, the EPA mpg ratings were just released for the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Duramax diesel mid-size pick-up truck. The 2WD = 22 city / 31 highway, and the 4WD = 20 city / 29 highway. Towing capacity is 7700 and 7600 lbs, respectively.

Finnegan
#31 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/15 - 10:25 PM

Comments: 16

How much truck for a 25 Ourage?

This much:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...0662058198

The 1996 Caddy has a factory installed 7000# tow package.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/29/16 - 6:28 PM

russellbailey
#32 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/15 - 11:38 AM

I'm with Larry - you don't need a big truck. My 2012 Suburban 1500 has no trouble with my Outrage 25, pulling several thousand miles a year. In flat areas it is easy, and even in the mountains here it has no trouble pulling them at the speed limit. The Suburban has the 5.3L engine, 6 speed, and 3.42 rear end.

MG56
#33 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/15 - 5:44 PM
Personal Page

russellbailey wrote:
I'm with Larry - you don't need a big truck. My 2012 Suburban 1500 has no trouble with my Outrage 25, pulling several thousand miles a year. In flat areas it is easy, and even in the mountains here it has no trouble pulling them at the speed limit. The Suburban has the 5.3L engine, 6 speed, and 3.42 rear end.

A Suburban isn't an entry level pickup like the OP has. They are generally the most capable 1/2 ton vehicle you can buy. You really do want a lower rear end than a 3.42 for towing though.

Here is a picture for Larry. 1972 Coupe Deville with stock rear air shocks, 472 w/ 80k miles, and mint from top to bottom. It got dumped on me and I didn't want it, and had no where to put it, and sold it for nothing. Well, I found a collector that gave it a good home, so as much as I would like to have it around to look at it is in a better place.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Qtrme...F.jpg.html

That car will tow a 25 just fine, and look good doing it.

Finnegan
#34 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/15 - 12:09 AM

Comments: 16

That '72 Coupe DeVille brings back a lot of memories. Way back in 1975, my Dad sold me his then three year old 1972 Sedan DeVille, and I towed my 1971 Nauset around with it for several years. Absolutely loved that car, and never even knew the boat was behind me!

When Cadillac was making the large body Fleetwood Broughams with 7000# factory option tow package, 1991-1996, a Cadillac mechanic told me they were basically Suburbans in disguise, with all Suburban drive train and accessory mechanical parts except for the truck suspension. They are all running factory 3.70 rear end ratios with either Positraction or Traction Control, and you have to tow in 3rd (3), not overdrive (D). That cuts the highway fuel mileage in half - 9 or 10 vs 20mpg.
For the 25, a weight distributing hitch is mandatory, but not for anything smaller. these cars are heavy, low in profile, with important long wheelbase, and tow extremely well - much better than one would expect.

When the Caddy's give up the ghost, a long wheelbase Suburban/Denali/Escalade will be in oder, as I prefer those to a pickup. I think it's the best all around tow vehicle one can buy, especially with family/friends as passengers and longer trips.

JRP
#35 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/15 - 4:22 AM

russellbailey wrote:
I'm with Larry - you don't need a big truck. My 2012 Suburban 1500 has no trouble with my Outrage 25....

MG56 wrote:

A Suburban isn't an entry level pickup like the OP has. They are generally the most capable 1/2 ton vehicle you can buy. ....

Yeah, I guess it depends on perspective, but around here a Suburban is considered a "big truck." In this urban area pick-up trucks are relatively scarce, and those that do have them are usually running a Tacoma or occasionally a "big" F-150. Some folks have Suburbans but they are tricky to navigate and park in the tight conditions here.

Have you guys priced new or used Suburbans lately? I looked at them on a nearby Chevy lot last year, and couldn't find one with an MSRP below $65K. Some of them were optioned over $80K. And I have not seen Chevy offer any incentives or discounts -- the factory in Texas has added extra shifts to keep up with demand. The used examples also seem to hold their value. By comparison, a crew cab pick-up truck is much more affordable!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 6:07 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Buda7378
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,014
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,967,693 unique visits