View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1981 22 revenge cuddy
NB Whaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/15 - 10:25 AM

Comments: 0

I'm looking at a 1981 revenge cuddy 22' in Dedham, Ma. Boat was on CL for a while and didn't sell. Owner is asking 4k with no motor, but new trailer. It has an aftermarket bracket , similar to WD , on the back that was installed poorly. It was bolted thru the transom and fastened with metal plates that have cracked through the gel coat and glass. (Have pics will try to upload soon). Owner mentioned he would take 1750 cash no trailer.

Owner also claims that gas tank doesn't leak. But I peeked under the floor and it will definately need to be replaced along with surrounding foam.

Questions: do these hulls pick up water like a 13'? Is it worth having it weighed? Replacing the tank seems manageable, but the boat has been left outside to the elements. Otherwise, gel coat is pretty nice. Wood needs replacing around cabin. Hull felt solid with the tap of a hammer, but floor over tank was iffy.

Debating on picking it up, redoing tank and transom, then Putting older 225-250 two stroke.

Thoughts and opinions? Did anyone else on here look at the boat?

http://postimg.org/image/j6y6e14qv/j6y6e14qv/

http://postimg.org/image/u3uwp224n/u3uwp224n/

http://postimg.org/image/d222myn9j/d222myn9j/

Edited by NB Whaler on 09/23/15 - 10:36 AM

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/15 - 3:41 PM

Comments: 2

I don't know -- the condition looks sketchy to me, especially that bracket installation.

I see these around regularly for short money. With engine and trailer.

Personally, I'd prefer to pay more for better condition -- in the end you often save money this way. Seems to me you'd be ahead with something like this one:

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5...50041.html

This one (link above) has been on the market for quite a while and I'd expect it could be purchased for less than asking.

Edited by JRP on 09/23/15 - 3:43 PM

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/15 - 8:22 PM

Both Revenges posted have the "mini" cuddy which does not have the porta potty and sleeping/storage area. A glorified Outrage with the closed bow without as much deck space. To me the beauty in the 1979 to 1989 (?) Revenge series is the full cabin. I would pass. Proud owner of 1979 22' Revenge. There are a few 20' Revenges from the same era with full cabin, few and far between but a neat smaller boat. They have a later model Revenge in your parts which has a nice lay out but does not have the smirked hull.
Garris

tom blinstrub
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 5:24 AM
Personal Page

Thats a Red Dot Hull. Extra heavy duty lay-up. I would take that bracket off and put a Aluminum plate on the inside of the transom for insurance.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 6:05 AM

Tom,
Is the "red dot" the extra decal by the Whaler logo? The hull sure looks like mine. Those cracks in the splash well look pretty ominous. Any other markings or tell tales to see if it is a red dot?

I also want to clarify that I desired a full cuddy. If the lay out meets your needs....more power to you.

Garris

tom blinstrub
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 6:35 AM
Personal Page

The Red Dot next to the decal is not a decal. It is in the Gelcoat molded in when the hull was laid up. The sunken in cracks are at the edge of the transom where there is no wood behind it. That transom probably has more fiberglass layup then a regular hull. Red Dot hull were laid up with extra fiberglass inside and out. You could have the factory lay up special parts of the hull meant for special purposes. It would be smart to take the bracket off and bolt the engine on to the transom. I would put a half inch aluminum plate on the inside just for insurance .

mikegcny
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 7:46 AM
Personal Page

I think that all old hulls will pick up water if you are / were not careful with them. Not sure if weighing is an option - you would have to know the exact weight out of the factory, then factor in the weight of anything added or removed. Since this is a red dot it will weigh more and I am not sure if the amount of extra glass was that exact that you could trust it.

Since the transom is cracked I would just assume it has water in it.

I would pass on it. Seems like too much of a headache.

EDIT - Also look at the scum line. Does appear that it has some stern squat that brings it down over the paint. The bow does not have the scum line. I have the same hull, mine squats but it is painted to match the squat.

Edited by mikegcny on 09/24/15 - 7:51 AM

tom blinstrub
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 7:59 AM
Personal Page

Those 22' hulls sit real low at the stern. The cuddy actually has more weight up forward which would raise the stern. We have a 22 Revenge cuddy at my marina with a 250 Suzuki and it sits real low in the stern. He even added to the transom to lessen water coming over the stern when backing down. The scum line isn't that high on the transom from what I can see.

Jay Fitz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 8:10 AM
Personal Page

Here's a local Revenge 20 that needs a bit a work to make it shine, it's been for sale for over a year and could probably be had for less than asking. I looked at it over the summer, it's not horrible, needs a bit of TLC but much less work than that one you've posted.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/...81757.html

mtown
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 3:30 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Really depends on what you want. Have a Whaler that you know and rigged yourself, including the tank if required, or pay a lot more for a boat and motor you hope is worth what you spend.
Personally the scum line and small crack at the transom would not make me walk away. The scum is from wind slap of water on the hull more than likely. Cracks are not severe and simply show what happens when you attach stuff to a boat that was not part of the original design spec.
Just guessing, but I bet Whaler saw some cracks when they starting offering brackets, just as part of the learning process.

NB Whaler
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 3:50 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. Personally I think this hull is one of the best looking whalers of the era, besides earlier banana hulls. I don't really need a full cuddy, as it will mainly be used for storage.

Is there any reason why the heavy-duty hull would be more desirable than a standard revenge 22'?

Also, why remove the bracket vs. just reinforcing the transom and reinstalling? Other than the fact that it did not come with the boat originally. Will it provide any extra bouyancy like a WD?

I'd assume it has water intrusion to some degree, but below the waterline looked pretty good. I have herd that the bigger 18+ whalers don't suffer from water intake as much as the 13's, or is this just size relative?

I'm thinking I will lowball the owner for $1000 no trailer.

A few extra pics for reference.

http://imgur.com/a/sEb79

Marko888
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 6:07 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 10

This are reference pages on this site for the various Revenge models. I would suggest the OP study them to get a better handle on the various models.

There are several 22' models, all with the same outer hull from 1980-1990 or so. The notched transom was improved in 1989.

With the 20, pay attention to the change at the introduction of the WT model in 1986/7 as the hull was significantly improved that year.

The first boat posted would have to be pretty cheap, as Revenges typically sell for very reasonable prices.

gchuba
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/15 - 10:26 PM

Tom,
Thanks for the info on the "red dot" series. I am glad it is part of the mold and not some decal purchase.
Garris

tom blinstrub
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/15 - 4:25 AM
Personal Page

I would not keep that bracket. Im surprised it hasn't torn off the transom. The spot where the bolt/washer broke through the hull is where the transom gets fatter and joins the side of the boat.The 2"+ piece of plywood that spans the transom ends before the bolt. There is only foam there and the glass isn'y very thick there. And that bracket Im pretty sure is hollow/ no foam. You could probably sell the bracket and spend the money to fix the floor.
I wish I saw this boat a few years ago when I was looking for a boat to fish and pull lobster traps out of. I saw one just like this with the cap removed. It needed a new tank cover and front hatches to make it into an Outrage. I had the console. I just made a new tank cover for my 1977 Outrage 21. A piece of marine grade plywood painted with resin wood last for years.
Red dot hulls are rare and if you ever run aground or get hit or hit someone you will be glad as Whaler hulls aren't very thick. A nice 13' Whaler will cost you more then this boat,let us know how you do.

gchuba
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/15 - 8:48 AM

For what it is worth...you would be hard pressed tracking down a trailer set up for that boat for $3000. I would not separate the combo. You have more things to worry about getting that boat in the water than how to transport it. Good luck. I happen to believe the most beautiful hull by Boston Whaler is the banana hull Revenge.
Garris

flippa
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/15 - 8:03 PM
Personal Page

I agree with the OP, I love this style Revenge. Tons of deck space.

gchuba
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/15 - 8:23 PM

I believe the difference between the full cuddy and the one he is looking at is the height of the cuddy. Looking closely at the "lines" I believe my deck space (1979 22' Revenge) is exactly the same.
Garris

JRP
#18 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/15 - 3:50 PM

gchuba wrote:...I happen to believe the most beautiful hull by Boston Whaler is the banana hull Revenge.
Garris

Here you go:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bod/...41688.html

Jay Fitz
#19 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/15 - 8:27 PM
Personal Page

JRP wrote:
gchuba wrote:...I happen to believe the most beautiful hull by Boston Whaler is the banana hull Revenge.
Garris

Here you go:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bod/...41688.html

That boat has been for sale for a while...and will probably still be for sale next season as well.

gchuba
#20 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/15 - 6:06 AM

Thanks for the pictures fellows. However......I do prefer the factory original windshield. I customized my 22'1979 Revenge but I do believe if I acquired the banana hull (death or divorce of wife) I would painstakingly keep it factory original. Too beautiful to tamper with.
Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 7:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,982,604 unique visits