View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Built in Tackle Cabinet in Reversible Seat
Reonainoue
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/15 - 2:07 PM

Comments: 0

Hi,

I am planning to install a tackle cabinet into the reversible pilot seat for my Montauk 210. There's a small 2-tray tackle cabint(made by SSI) came with my boat but this is too small for me.

So, I am thinking about installing a large built-in tackle cabinet (3-5 drawers & a few trays for Plano, line/knife holders, etc). However, my concern is structural integrity of the seat....I don't want to install a big cabinet and break the seat due to large cutout....

The seat is approx 40inch wide. Do you have any suggestions as to how wide I can cut and install the cabinet without compomising the structural integrity of the seat?

Thank you!

Reo

SeaLevel
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/15 - 4:01 AM
Personal Page

I would reinforce the perimeter of the cutout on the inside of the seat with 3/4" thick mahogany strips . I would use the widest pieces that will fit inside. If only narrow pieces will fit I would substitute mahogany with white oak and go thicker. Glue and screw everything together and it should be plenty strong. Another fix would be to cut the entire perimeter reinforcement out of a single piece of marine plywood and install it on the inside same as the wood strips. This method would probably be the strongest as there would be no joints at the corners. It depends on how much reinforcement you need.

"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

Reonainoue
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/15 - 10:32 AM

Thanks SeaLevel,

Do you think I can use Marine Starboard instead?

SeaLevel
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/15 - 2:57 AM
Personal Page

I don't see why not as long as it is wide enough or thick enough to support the load that will be placed at the center of the top span of the cut out.

"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/15 - 5:47 AM

Could you possibly post a picture of your seat? I would love to see what you are doing, trying to do. Starboard is non structural and sags without reinforcement.
Garris

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/15 - 1:53 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

For a drawing diagram of the seat, go to Whaler.com/owners/resources/diagrams

If the backing material is hidden and out of the elements, you can use wood just seal all of it with a coat of epoxy.

Reonainoue
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/15 - 2:20 PM

Well, somewhat the post I wrote wasn't posted....Anyway, thank you very much for the advice. This will be my winter project to do.

Reo

EJO
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/15 - 10:32 AM
Personal Page

I assume this is a 2012 or newer Montauk 210. Are you thinking of modifying you RPS (reversible pilot seat) so it can't be reversed any longer as you'll have a tackle-box hanging of the seat back??
Can you post a sketch of what you are planning?
I don't think the owners resources gives you a schematic of the seat except maybe the final assembly drawing showing the RPS.
A sketch will help and as mentioned before starboard as no real structural strength as compared to solid wood or even better marine plywood.
When seriously fishing I just bring my 4 drawer Plano with carrying handle on board. Problem solved.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Reonainoue
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/15 - 8:09 PM

EJO,
Yes, mine is 2013 model.
The link below shows how my reversible pilot seat look like.
http://www.clemonsboats.com/Page.aspx/pmId/335544/pageId/157155/view/Overview/Brochures.aspx

Since inside the seat is more like a bucket storage, I want to flush mont the tackle cabinet like this.
http://www.boatoutfitters.com/tackle-unit-4-drawer-6-tray

I know montauk 170 has a large cut out for fuel tanks, so I guess mine should be okay.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-BOSTON-WHALER-170-Montauk-102435175

It is really pain in the neck when I bring tackle boxes and they slide all over. ...

EJO
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/15 - 10:31 AM
Personal Page

Reonainoue thanks for the explanation. I now understand you want to put the tackle box in the bottom of the RPS opening to the back. I thought you meant the back that you lean against hence I didn't understand.
Now in answer to your original question, yes as you indicated they use it for tank storage too so you could cut out the back and slide in the beautiful tackle drawer system you showed.
It probably will be fine especially when sitting while facing forward. I as an engineer like to slightly over-design when not doing complete stress analysis and therefore would build and internal reverse "U" wood frame supporting the back facing edge of the bottom seat.
Slide in the drawer system and yes use a Starboard cover. Are you keeping the OEM 2 drawers?

Skipper E-J

Reonainoue
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/15 - 10:59 AM

EJO,

Thanks for the comments. No, the OEM drawer will be replaced with the tackle drawer system (I may relocate the OEM one by center console).
Also, I am thinking about make the cut out so tight, so that the the drawer can take some weight (need to check with the manufacturer).

EJO
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/15 - 10:51 AM
Personal Page

Like I said I think it will work and look great. Even a 1"x 1" (3/4" true) frame over the box supporting the seat bottom should do the job.

Skipper E-J

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 8:24 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,983,338 unique visits