View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Raymarine Dragonfly transducer placement on 13' Whaler?
drewread
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/15 - 6:23 PM

Comments: 0

Has anyone found a good mounting location for the Raymarine Dragonfly transducer on the 13' Whaler? I took a first stab at things and am not yet happy. I thought I would see if anyone else has figured it out.

Thanks!

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/15 - 7:08 PM

Transducers best installed on the downstroke side of the propeller. I attach directly to the transom using BoatLife (sealant not adhesive). Follow directions for height placement.
Garris

sjp2
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/15 - 2:29 AM
Personal Page

yup me to ,i've adjusted the angle so the back of the transducer is tilted slightly up/and down (to allow for the transom motor weight originally from level)and still lose the reading after a bit of speed ,lifting up or down has no effect its 2 1/2 inches in from the outside strake .the length might be a reason for the finicky readings .friend has just bought the new garmin 95 and its transducer is even longer

drewread
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/15 - 4:16 AM

sjp2 wrote:
yup me to ,i've adjusted the angle so the back of the transducer is tilted slightly up/and down (to allow for the transom motor weight originally from level)and still lose the reading after a bit of speed ,lifting up or down has no effect its 2 1/2 inches in from the outside strake .the length might be a reason for the finicky readings .friend has just bought the new garmin 95 and its transducer is even longer

I know from placing mine out that far that the transom is not parallel to the direction of travel at that point... did you straighten the transducer out at all with a wedge? That is one of my next projects.. figuring out that angle...

Edited by drewread on 09/08/15 - 4:17 AM

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/15 - 6:24 AM

I stopped by a Raymarine dealer/installer and came home with interesting info. He installs the transducer on the upward stroke of the propeller for less bubble interference (contrary to the standard written guides by Airmar). The positive pressure forces the bubbles out. On most boats he installs it on the strake but with Whalers he sneaks it a little closer to the motor due to planing. 1/4" down from the bottom of the hull on the short side with a 5 degree angle. He eye balls the bottom of the transducer so an imaginary line has it intersect the bottom of the hull mid ship. He keeps the transducer flat and does not match the bottom of the hulls angle. My transducer is going on the corrected side.
Garris

drewread
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/15 - 7:25 AM

Interesting feedback, and exactly the opposite of the advice from the Dragonfly manual and Raymarine forum administrator feedback. It really all just adds to the confusion. ;)

Moving the transducer to the inside of the strake would put it quite close to the prop on a 13" Whaler, which is why I chose the outside of the strake. Going inside would mean less of a angle on the transom though..

These are the photos of my original installation.

https://flic.kr/p/ypGLPa
https://flic.kr/p/ynokK1
https://flic.kr/p/xsFnYm

I plan to make a wedge to straighten out the transducer in relation to the direction of travel, and I will raise it up. I haven't decided if I will move it to starboard yet.. ho hum.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/29/16 - 6:30 PM

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/15 - 7:21 PM

My resource is Fred Fritz of Fred Fritz Electronics. If you happen to contact Blue Sea directly they are familiar with him. He is the inventor of their ACR multiple battery isolation systems preventing spiking/surge of high amp motor starting and travels the west coast wiring boats. He tells me the reasons for his install practices as I expressed them to you. His body of work and methods have me not question his advice. For through hull direct drive propellers he places the transducers on the down hill stroke of the motor. For IO's and outboards the opposite. I scribbled notes (so please forgive me if I misplaced the terminology). His time is valuable and every time I ask a question and am given an answer I look at it as a gift and let him get on with his day. My transducers (I have two, one regular, one downvision) are being installed as he suggests......no debates.

He is a mom and pop outfit who has a Rarmarine distributorship. Usually reserved for larger volume distributors.

Garris

Edited by gchuba on 09/09/15 - 7:46 PM

sjp2
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/15 - 3:16 AM
Personal Page

i am confused ,my is on the starboard side ,inside the strake by about 4 inches ,going with the rotation of the propeller (Drewread yours looks on the port side from the photos already )and i have angled it down on the outside (backend)to allow for the boat on a plane but it still loses a picture at about 10 knots or so.and besides the motor seems to be well pretty well after it anyway .

drewread
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/15 - 5:08 AM

Yes, mine is currently on the port side of the boat.

I wasn't entirely happy with the performance I was getting, so I contacted Raymarine at their forum. They suggested moving it starboard as per the instruction manual.

Fred Fritz apparently suggests port.

I will probably just make a plastic wedge for the transducer to straighten it out on the hull and lift it up before I make new holes on the other side... I will report on my results when I finally get it done.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/29/16 - 6:29 PM

gchuba
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/15 - 6:27 AM

One of the important features Fred mentioned was the 5 degree angle. I do not know if I described it correctly when I reread my post. The if you placed a string on the bottom of the transducer and ran it along towards the hull.....it would intersect mid ship. When I said level I meant parallel to the waterline/ground side to side. Hope I am making sense.
Garris

drewread
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/15 - 6:36 AM

@gchuba -

How long until you think you will have yours mounted? I'd love to see some photos when you are finished..

sjp2
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/15 - 2:53 AM
Personal Page

well after reading the replies and trying to understand without spec pictures i went and had a decent look at the transducer from ground level behind the boat and as you mentioned Dewread ,because of the angle of the stern i think you might be right about the travelling line of the transducer as mine was certainly not at a right angle to the transom so like you i am makeing a wedge to go on the starboard side of it probaly about 20 degrees at a guess.

sjp2
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/15 - 3:03 AM
Personal Page

well after reading the replies and trying to understand without spec pictures i went and had a decent look at the transducer from ground level behind the boat and as you mentioned Dewread ,because of the angle of the stern i think you might be right about the travelling line of the transducer as mine was certainly not at a right angle to the transom so like you i am makeing a wedge to go on the starboard side of it probaly about 20 degrees at a guess.

drewread
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/15 - 5:31 AM

Before anyone mounts their unit . You should be aware that there is no way to plan a route on these devices currently... not much of a "chart-plotter" thanks to that...

gchuba
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/15 - 9:10 AM

Andrew,
I will send you a personal email with my phone number. Give me a call and when mine is mounted I will send a picture. I do have to bottom paint my transom first. I was told "wedging" needed on these transducers and will try once again to describe the angle. When mounted.... the transducers bottom is 1/4" below the bottom of the hull on the short side (making it 5/8" on the longer side). Imagine sighting a rifle with the bottom of the transducer as a scope. Play with the angle so if you fired off a round....it would hit the center of the boat. My motor is a counter clockwise rotation so it is going to be placed on the starboard side of the boat. Upward stroke of the propeller.
Garris.

drewread
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 2:57 PM

How did it go Garris?

I didn't really play with mine much last year.. just dealt with it and enjoyed the water. :)

Will be playing with it this week though...

gchuba
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/16 - 3:30 PM

I mounted my downvision and transducer on my other boat but....the positioning would be the same for a Whaler for angle and height. I will take pictures today and email your profile. I would appreciate it, if you are abl,e to be so kind to post them.

Garris

I now have a commercial salmon boat.....a 1978 23' Penn Yan so.....I am allowing my Whaler hull to dry out this summer with the tubes removed.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 8:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,983,125 unique visits