View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1979 22' Revenge- Rubrail remove/replace
VA Whaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 5:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I need to replace the navigation light wires which are behind the rubrail. I'm fairly sure the rubrail won't just slide out of the bracket, I'll probably need to pull it out of the tracks. Is that a true assumption?

If I have to pull it out of the track what's the best way to get it back on track?

I remember when I installed new rubrail on my 13' I slid the rail into the bracket and pushed/pulled it all the way around the boat. That was not easy. I can't imagine that would be possible with a boat this size. If you have any advice before I start this, I'd really appreciate.

Hoping the bracket stays in one piece when I do this.

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 6:01 AM

John,
Start pulling the rub rail out from the starboard side stern. Remove the aluminum fixture that hides the ends. Just pull and it comes right out. you will see the navigation wires as you pass the cabin and as you pass the starboard navigation light. Continue to the port side around the bow and leave the rub rail in place once you have access to the lamp. Have a long 2x stick of lumber handy to lean on the rub rail so it stays in place. The weight of the rubber might continue the removal hands free.

I just used my fingers/hands and popped it back in place. Some fellows recommend dish soap solutions on the rubber channel but I did not need it. Do have a rubber mallet handy to help set the rubber deep and flush on the track. Actually quite easy. Installing the track another matter. Tough little project. Try to do the install on a hot day when the rubber is warm.
Garris

VA Whaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 6:41 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Garris. I'm with the boat now and there was a spot on the rubrail where it was not 100% in the track. It was near the stb light. I pulled the rubrail away from there and was able to expose the wires back to where they route from the console to the port light. So I was fortunate that I did not have to break it away from the stern to start the separation.

The bracket has been fixed in places but it appears to still be usable. The wood its fastened to must be sturdy enough to hold the screws and rivets in place. More latee Thanks!

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 7:19 AM

John,
There is no wood backing. Just the outer shell of the hull. Maybe 3/16" thick at most. Is yours screwed or riveted? Mine was screwed in place but also was replaced once before judging from the holes I sealed when I did the track. If screwed in place you may want to Boat Life seal them one at a time as the are accessible. Have fun.
Garris

VA Whaler
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 8:34 AM
Personal Page

Garris there were screws where there was some previous repairs. Maybe 2' worth. Rivets elsewhere. It went back together pretty well. Time will tell how it holds up but it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm going to leave the old lights off for now. No sense in reinstalling them as I will be replacing them this fall. Hope the wood underneath will dry some more as well.

Thanks

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 1:32 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,978,869 unique visits