View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Ebay Vendor: surplus marine parts
Finnegan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 12:03 PM

Comments: 16

Is anybody here familiar with this Ebay store operation? Is this actually Specialty Marine? If you have bought from this Ebay store, is the quality good?

They seem to have some classic Whaler bow light parts for reasonable pricing. Any comments appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-b..._150wt_922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Bos..._280wt_900

Edited by Phil T on 08/26/15 - 9:19 AM

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 4:07 PM

Comments: 0

It's interesting that the new light assembly is equipped with a white LED bulb. Is that true of the Specialty Marine version?

Butch

Clyde in TS
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/15 - 8:25 PM

Comments: 1

The led bulb version is listed by Specialty Marine

cg

Blackduck
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/15 - 7:49 AM
Personal Page

The quality seems to be good, with the exception of the casting for the lip that goes over the rub rail. It has low spots along the edge, which I find distracting. It looks like the mold was made directly from a worn piece. Why didn't they true it up? That drives me crazy. There are some lift handles out there with the same problem. The mold would have been easy enough to correct, but they just didn't bother to take the time to make the correction.

Edited by Blackduck on 08/26/15 - 1:02 PM
Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

butchdavis
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/15 - 4:46 PM

When stationed in the Far East I was a shop superintendent. We had a small machine shop within the shop.

I needed a pair of replacement spindles so took the best one to our lead machinist and told him to make me a pair. The next day he delivered to my desk three spindle identical in every way to include the wear.

That was a good lesson for me.

Butch

MG56
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/15 - 5:04 AM
Personal Page

Finnegan wrote:
Is anybody here familiar with this Ebay store operation? Is this actually Specialty Marine? If you have bought from this Ebay store, is the quality good?

They seem to have some classic Whaler bow light parts for reasonable pricing. Any comments appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-b..._150wt_922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Bos..._280wt_900

Specialty Marine has their own eBay store, Surplus Marine Parts has a website called Marine Parts Depot. I've bought parts from all of them and the quality seems fine. I actually bought the older style nav light for a 1 piece rub rail and I didn't see any problems with the casting,

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/15 - 9:57 AM

OK, so thanks to MG56 it appears the answer to my question is that Surplus Marine Parts Ebay store is not connected to Specialty Marine. i am happy to hear that.

I had a reason for my question. For both my 1971 and 1975 Whalers I needed a new bow light lense (both have the traditional Whaler bow chock light of those years), since years of UV degradation had clouded up the plastic on the originals beyond re-polishing.

Not being aware of this Marine Parts Depot operation, I ordered two of the replacement lenses from Specialty, at what I thought was a stiff price at $20 each plus shipping. When they arrived, I wias very disappointed to see that the red half had a definite orange tint to it, not the same true red of the originals. A test at night also revealed the orange tint. The green side is fine. the lense is simply not acceptable to me with the bad red color rendition.

I then noticed that this other vendor at least shows a photo of their replacement lense, and it appears to be the correct red, and less than half the price. i am going to oder two, and see if the red is a truer color. If so, I guess I'll just have to eat the $40 I already paid as a lesson learned.

Does anybody here have any experience with this alternative lense from Marine Parts Depot, and if so, how is the red rendition?

Tom Hemphill
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/15 - 3:26 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Finnegan wrote:

... I guess I'll just have to eat the $40 I already paid as a lesson learned.

Did you tell Specialty Marine that you were dissatisfied with your purchase?

MG56
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 3:19 AM
Personal Page

Finnegan wrote:
OK, so thanks to MG56 it appears the answer to my question is that Surplus Marine Parts Ebay store is not connected to Specialty Marine. i am happy to hear that.

I had a reason for my question. For both my 1971 and 1975 Whalers I needed a new bow light lense (both have the traditional Whaler bow chock light of those years), since years of UV degradation had clouded up the plastic on the originals beyond re-polishing.

Not being aware of this Marine Parts Depot operation, I ordered two of the replacement lenses from Specialty, at what I thought was a stiff price at $20 each plus shipping. When they arrived, I wias very disappointed to see that the red half had a definite orange tint to it, not the same true red of the originals. A test at night also revealed the orange tint. The green side is fine. the lense is simply not acceptable to me with the bad red color rendition.

I then noticed that this other vendor at least shows a photo of their replacement lense, and it appears to be the correct red, and less than half the price. i am going to oder two, and see if the red is a truer color. If so, I guess I'll just have to eat the $40 I already paid as a lesson learned.

Does anybody here have any experience with this alternative lense from Marine Parts Depot, and if so, how is the red rendition?

You won't like their lens either, I noticed the same thing. Their ightt on left, orig in middle & smaller "original" on right >>>

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Qtrme...s.jpg.html

I would imagine most of these venders source their parts from the same suppliers.

Blackduck
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 7:39 AM
Personal Page

Larry-The light that I bought from them had the correct color lens, red, not orange.

Walter Reynolds

MG56
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 11:03 AM
Personal Page

How long ago did you buy your light, Walter? I bought mine in June.

Maybe mine was a bad batch and that was why it was so cheap, who knows? Maybe all the new ones are lighter in color.

I think Larry should call Specialty Marine and discuss his problem. We aren't calling Walmart here, you are going to talk to a person close to the core level. Regardless of what you think of Specialty Marine quality I have heard nothing but praise about their customer service.

At the very least they will offer a return, but I suspect they will search inventory to see why one buyer got the proper part & another didn't. I can take a better picture of the color difference if that would help.

If I owned Specialty Marine I would want you to call me about a problem regarding reproduction correctness. Their position is to be THE vintage Whaler part supplier.

Blackduck
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 11:16 AM
Personal Page

I bought the light in june-

Walter Reynolds

MG56
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 12:38 PM
Personal Page

Blackduck wrote:
I bought the light in june-

Go figure. But I bought the unit for a one piece rub rail w/o a LED light, so maybe the batch of those are different.

Even more reason for Larry to make the call. I have a lot of respect for the work you do, and I am pretty sure if you had a customer that had a problem you would want to be the first to know,

I buy more & more online these days and it is what it is. I don't expect anything special, and I'm certainly not likely to chase satisfaction for a $10 item. Being informed that some buyers are able to get the correct color lens when I didn't? I'd make the call.

Finnegan
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for all of the information, but you guys now have me totally confused. I can't tell which vendor you are talking about - Specialty Marine (which seems to have the orange tinted bow light I purchased) or this Marine Parts Depot Ebay vendor (whose photograph shows a much redder lense that i want to purchase)

Which seller are you talking about? Both seem to be selling this Whaler bow chock bow light and lense.

Thanks.

MG56
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 4:13 AM
Personal Page

Finnegan wrote:
Thanks for all of the information, but you guys now have me totally confused. I can't tell which vendor you are talking about - Specialty Marine (which seems to have the orange tinted bow light I purchased) or this Marine Parts Depot Ebay vendor (whose photograph shows a much redder lense that i want to purchase)

Which seller are you talking about? Both seem to be selling this Whaler bow chock bow light and lense.

Thanks.

I think we both bought from Surplus Marine, but slightly different products. One lens was the proper color the other was not.

Knowing that I would call before I bought again, and make sure I get the right color.

Since you have already bought from Specialty Marine I think you should call them and see if they can check their stock for the proper colored lens.

drewread
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 4:04 PM

Finnegan wrote:

Thanks.

I am very interested to know what the outcome of your Orange light was.. I just received the same amber tinted bow light from Specialty Marine and am disappointed with the colour. It is definitely amber I will shoot some photos tonight.

I also had my stern light shipped with no mounting stanchions, which I called about. They say the website said they were marked as unavailable at the time, I say they were not. The 'stantion unavailable' notice is clear on the website, and I am 100% sure I would have noticed it was there before I ordered. It is also not mentioned at any point after that... . Am extremely disappointed... the season will be over long before I get my nav lights up and running.

Site sponsor or not... BUYER BEWARE!

Edited by drewread on 09/28/15 - 6:13 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 10:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,970,405 unique visits