View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Misc. storage techniques on a 17' boat..?
jaymoussy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/15 - 7:34 PM

Comments: 0

New to my Montauk, I do not seem to have the storage thing down.

How do you folks store things like dock lines, etc?

Any homemade ad-hoc "fixtures", or commercial ones, like tie-ups of some sort?

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/15 - 10:32 AM

Comments: 16

Montauks in their original configuration are not known for generous storage, since they only have the bow anchor locker, the 94 qt front cooler seat and the inside of the center console.

On mine, I have the console raised 6", which has a side effect of needed additional storage for life jackets and cushions underneath, held in place by a bungee cord across the fornt opening. It works well to get those bulky items out of the way but easily accessible. I also have the battery in it's original location, keeping the center console interior wide open for storage. Fenders go inside the front cooler when the boat is not in use, but otherwise reside at the ready, attached to my "fender pole" design, sitting in the rod holders. I use three 3/8" x 25' dock lines, one in the bow and one in each stern corner, The stern lines are coiled and strapped to the side rail with a velcro "tie wrap". Boating clothes, womens' purses, small duffels, etc and snack/lunch bags go into either the front cooler or console. The cooler tray and RPS seatback hold misc small items and spares, etc.

donp
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/15 - 1:04 PM

There’s a front insert or deck Whaler made for Montauks. I have no experience with one but from the pictures it appears to have hatches. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and tell us more about it.

As mention before I typically use my coolers for storage. I will also mention I made rod holder that mount to my side rails in the stern. They’re more or less low profile and they don’t protrude vary far inside.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/15 - 3:46 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Jay -

On my Montauk, I had twin bow lines that ran on the outside of the bow rails. I left them in place.

I had twin stern lines attached on the outside transom eyes. They lay on the side rails going forward.

I had 4 large 12" diameter round bumpers attached to the rails. I left them attached.

The 7lb Bruce claw anchor, 12' chain and 150' of rode and throwable cushion was in the bow locker.

In the console was the marine tool box, extra vests.

In the forward cooler were flares, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and other gear.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/15 - 8:26 PM

So Phil.....did you ever fish with your Montauk?????
Garris

jaymoussy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/15 - 6:37 AM

Thanks for the detailed answers!

I got to study that a bit.

What prompted me to ask in the first place was that I had the idea to keep bow lines stored in a small bucket.
I once left without the bucket, busy with guests on board...
Launch, then, surprise no dock lines..! There was enough line on extra fenders to tie to dock, no harm done.

I will be searching the site for homemade pole holders, next.
They could be a handy "universal" fixture, beyond their intended purpose.

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/15 - 10:02 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I have never understood boaters who remove fenders and dock lines when underway. It's a boat.

G- I never fished off either of my boats, used for transportation to islands and carrying freight.

Rock N Roll
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/15 - 8:18 PM
Personal Page

I don't understand the need for multiple (more than 2) dock lines or bumpers at all. Never used them. I spend just enough time at the dock as it takes to start motor and get under way.

Space is a premium. I have a stern bench which covers batteries, water separator, anchor light spare oil and misc. gear I don't mind getting wet under bad conditions.

Console handles toolbox, drift sock Pelican for Lowrance, LED deck light, emergency equipment, foul weather gear and other misc. It is not the most organized but can get to what I need when I need. Inflatable life preservers will be in the console until I'm under way.

Cooler in front of console is for beverages and sandwiches (in tray), and fish bellow (and bait). Bow hatch house anchor, rode and line, hose and brush for cleanup.

Tackle bags, 5 gallon bucket loose in boat. Paddle has been wedged behind railing for ever. Lots of stainless clamp rod holders handle gaffs and rods.

It's tight and if I ever buy another boat it would be because space (moving around space), not because the capabilities of the boat.

bcross
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/15 - 6:59 AM
Personal Page

I don't normally put anything in the cooler that doesn't need to be kept cold - that means lunches, a couple of beers, bottle of water, and since I do like to fish, bait and plenty of room to ice fish. Here's a small tip for cooler storage that may seem very simple but it's useful. I found a tupperware container with lid that fits perfectly beneath my cooler tray. It is 6" X 13" X 9" H, and is used to store lunches and beverages - keeps them cool and dry. The tray is used for bait storage (if needed) or snack items. This leaves the rest of the cooler available for fish. I put life jackets in a dry storage bag beneath the forward console seat (a nice feature on old 16s). Batteries are aft, emergency gear is in the console, and fishing tackle is beneath the pilot seat. I rarely stray from this system, although with more than two aboard (especially kids) all bets are off!

jaymoussy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 2:48 PM

I like the fender poles concept, as described by Finnegan, above
Did anybody make some for their Montauk ("classic" or "modern")?

His are 24" long,with three adjustment holes, on his Outrage (?).
A Montauk may not need that pole length..?

jimbickett
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 4:36 PM

Have fished for Spanish Mackeral all the time with my 17' Montauk...also King Mackeral....great boat for both. Fished off NC coast many times with great success. Use two rod holder off side rails and sometime a down rigger on stern. Sometimes use a center line off backrest rod holders when fishing is hot

Finnegan
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 6:30 PM

Comments: 16

Jay - I do use my fender pole idea on the Montauk also, although the photos on website link were taken before the rod holders were installed on the rails. They are the standard design, 24" long, with three 1'2" diameter holes at the top, spaced 1-1/2" apart vertically. For line, I use 1/4" three strand nylon, with a 3' length attached to both ends of the fender. When the fender is hung vertially, as it is most often, the other line just goes into the water. It is only used when I have to have the fender hung horizontally. The poles are made from 1 1/4" dowel, stained with teak color stain, and varnished.
Each fender/pole combination goes into the front cooler when the boat is on the trailer. I carry two per boat.

They are easy to thread. The line from the fender goes through either the top or bottom hole, then back through the middle hole, and back through the third hole. The "tail" is then tucked back under the first loop, where the weight of the hanging fender cinches it tight. They are easily adjustable in seconds.

The whole idea is extremely easy to deploy, and anybody on the boat can do it, even kids, with no skill whatsoever required, no knots to ties, etc.. Just drop it in the rod holder, or if already there, just flip the fender to the outside. The correct height is pre-set for most conditions. Underway, the poles just sit in the rod holder, with the fender hanging on the inside of the boat. I have also carried them in the RPS seatback rod holders when underway, with the fenders hanging behind the seat.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...2336187513

The biggest issue most people have is the expense, because typically 4 rail mounted rod holders (if you don't already fish) are required, and if one uses the chrome-on-brass models, are about $100 each. I use either the old Lee versions (no longer available) or now the the Perko model, a very nice quality item. There are also cheaper SS versions available from West Marine, China, etc. I got into this idea because I used to do a lot of fishing, and had all these rail mounted rod holders on the boat anyway.

Recessed gunnel mount rod holder can also wrok, if they are the 90 degree vertical type. The 30 degree angled ones are not so good for this purpose, and look funny when used this way.

On the Montauk, I have one mounted on the aft stantion of the bow rail, and also the aft vertical (not curved) stantion of the side rails. It works well.

In this photo of my 21 Ribside, you can see them deployed for my approach to a floating dock. Even when alone in the boat, they are simple to use.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...9044003912

jaymoussy
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 10:01 AM

Finnegan, thank you for the detailed explanation - that cleared up the use of the three holes.

I may try a pair of 24 inch poles, per your instructions, and possibly a shorter, 20 inch one (do I have that much freeboard?).
The ease of use is a very good point - I had a guest on board recently, savvy tech guy and all. He was responding to my basic directions with a blank stare... it was funny!

I have a temporary, "redneck" rod holder setup, PVC pipe secured to rail uprights with zip ties.
If I really like it I may shop around for basic traditional rod holder sets.

Good stuff!

Timf
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/15 - 9:06 PM

On a Montauk 170 I keep the fenders attached to the top of the side rails. They hang under the rails, on top of the gunnels, out of the way, and can be easily deployed.

I installed a glove box on the console.

[url][/http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sail-systems--console-glove-storage-box--P024_726_003_503]

And I normally carry one of these strapped to the middle of stern area against the transom well. It is held in place by a rubber cord attached to the transom well so it can be easily tied in place.

There are different sizes, but this is the largest I found that still allowed walking behind the console seat and was low enough it did not interfere with raising the engine.

[url][/http://www.adorama.com/stcim2975bk.html]

EJO
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/15 - 9:36 AM
Personal Page

I'm not an avid fisherman like some of you here, but the 4 storage holders in front of ther CC work fine and I strap/bungee 1 each fishing pole on each side railing in the back.
I use my small center console for small items like, 2 trowable cushions, sunscreen, cleaning supplies, etc.
My storage consists of a 128 qt white Igloo cooler holding all my lines, including my tow harness and ski-rope, 2 fenders, 6 PFD's, and cleaning brush. I use strapping through the side handles to keep it in place. Also glued 4 half noodles on its bottom to protect my cockpit and let water flow under neath to the bilge. Behind that cooler I in the space it creates between transom & cooler I throw my Sperry's, flip-flops, water-shoes as mostly we boat in fair weather and I then have a no shoe policy on the boat. I use a steal cable with a combination lock using a eye bolt to keep it from being taken out quick and the lid secured.
The fron seat cooler is for drinks, ice and food only, the anchor locker is used for the anchor and some split hollow noodles we use to snap on the railing up front so we can lean against a "soft" railing when sitting on the forward pad.
If we want to keep fish we fill this achor locker with water and use it as a livewell.
Yes the large cooler in the back takes up some real estate but it also serves nicely as a seat and we can still fish relatively comfortable with 3 adults on this small 150.
PM me for pictures as I can't give you a link due to my server being down.

Edited by EJO on 09/14/15 - 9:54 AM
Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 5:18 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,702,386 unique visits