View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Fishbox drain repair
gentilebrian
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/15 - 9:11 PM

Comments: 0

On my 1999 23 conquest I replaced the bunks on the trailer and first time the boat came off if it something snagged the new carpet and ripped the carpet. I jacked up the boat to see and not quite sure what to think of it. I forgot to post pictures. The drain for the fishbox goes right out the bottom of the boat. From the top looking into the fishbox it all looks fine. Underneith the drain looks to be on a slight angle with the part of the drain toward the stern flush with the hull and the bow side away from the hull about 1/4". Also there is a stainless steel platecovering it from the front. The plate looks exactly like a attwood clamshell vent that is used for when wires go threw the transom above the waterline. (or at least that is what I have seen them used for).

So how do I get this drain out and put back in place. I guess trailer also needs to be adjusted/modified so the drain is not resting on the bunk. how to I check to see if what has gotten in there. Should I even worry about it? I even thought about sealing it up all together and not having a drain at all.

gentilebrian
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/15 - 12:16 PM

Talked to Boston whaler and they said the threw hull tilted may be a issue but the clamshell in front of the threw hull was suppose to be there so I guess that's good.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/15 - 12:32 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Yes, you don't want the Clamshells resting on the bunks.

You probably have more then one Clamshell on the bottom of your hull for the other drains.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=32

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/20/15 - 12:34 PM

gentilebrian
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/15 - 12:54 PM

Joe Kriz wrote:
Yes, you don't want the Clamshells resting on the bunks.

You probably have more then one Clamshell on the bottom of your hull for the other drains.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=32

Yes that's the one. Thank you.

When I bought the boat it came with the trailer. They only used the trailer for storage. Trailer really is for like a 20' lund or something but the GVW is enough to hold the whaler (check on truck scale). I think I will just cut out a slot in the bunk where the threw hull is. I cant really moved the bunks and they are welded in place. Ideally I want to get a aluminum trailer but its just not in the cards right now as used ones are hard to come by. Especially one that will hold 6,000lbs on only a 23' boat.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/15 - 8:06 PM

I have a bunk trailer for my 22' 1979 Revenge. I have adjustable bunks. Some fellows prefer rollers. I would not groove the bunk. When landing the boat or trailering there will be movement and the clam shells not line up. If with a budget.....decide on bunks or rollers and retrofit. A more reasonable cost than new trailer.. Cut out the welded ones.
Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 3:27 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Buda7378
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,014
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,965,745 unique visits