View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1984 18' Outrage Gas tank Q
SJ
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/15 - 9:31 PM

Comments: 0

Are there baffles in my tank? Trying to clean/siphon a stock tank that fresh water got into and has been sitting for over 5 years. You can imagine the amount of crap thats in my tank.Tried sending a clear tube to the back of the tank but I believe I'm hitting a baffle before I reach the end. After 2 atempts at cleaning the tank and 3 injector (2009 yamaha 115 4 stroke) cleaning's, I'm now running exterior tanks to get me through our Salmon / rockfish season. Any tips on getting my tank right would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gregg C 707-567-1509

[IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/IMG_5350_zpsidjpv9r1.jpg[/IMG]

mtown
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 5:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I had similar issues with my 1985 18'. I simply disconnected the fuel barb from the motor. Stuck a small nail to keep the ball bearing stop open and put the barb lower than the tank bottom. Squeeze the primer bulb and let siphon do the rest.
I then used a flexible stick and a rag to completely dry the tank. No baffle that I know of.
You should probably install a Racor or other water separator.

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 9:03 AM

Yes, there is a baffle in the tank. My guess is your current access is at the fuel filler side. You then have a deck access cover over the aft side of the tank where the fuel pick up tube is. I installed (1979 22' Revenge) a 4" tank access plate by Seabuilt cutting a hole around the the fuel pick up tube. The 4" plate measures 6' O.D. and fits. I drilled and tapped a hole for the fuel pick up tube. I ended up with an access hole my hand fits through on the backside of the baffle. With a minimum of 2" holes on each side of the baffle you can have fuel polishing done or clean how you see fit.
Garris

SJ
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 9:31 AM

3 filter's later, still fouling my injector's. After several attempts to clean my tank and the cost of having my injectors clean, replaced filter's and labor, its time to hand it over to the pro's and have them professionally clean my tank. For the cost of having my injectors done I could have polished 3 boats.

[IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/IMG_5352_zpssgvhwqh5.jpg[/IMG]

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 9:37 AM

Polishing cannot get past the baffle. You need at least 2" for the equipment on either side. I was told this by a polisher in Washington 3 to 4 years ago. I could not find a local one at the time in Northern CA (I may have a lead now) so I do not know if that access issue still stands.
Garris

cg_wilson2003
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/15 - 3:49 PM

I was having the same issue you are describing and thought it was old dried up gas. Actually turned out I had a hole in my tank and all the sediment was foam parts. You could clean it all you want and new junk would get introduced. I never smelled gas or put it together until I pulled the tank and found the nickel sized hole. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to get it clean. If I had it pressure tested right away I would have know there was a leak.

Mine was a Outrage 1980 so if your tank is original that may be your issue. My fuel tank has 3 baffle's so it may be harder to clean than you think.

SJ
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/15 - 6:44 AM

CG,

What did the crap/foam look like that made it to your tank? Color, size would be helpful.

cg_wilson2003
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/15 - 3:45 PM

SJ wrote:
CG,

What did the crap/foam look like that made it to your tank? Color, size would be helpful.

It looked very similar if not the same as the first picture you posted with the exception to the string looking item. Most were small crumb size yellow in color(foam is yellow) for the most part but a few were pea sized. Just a lot of filth settled on the bottom of the tank generally. The tank would come clean but the sloshing action of the fuel was breaking more foam free so it get all filthy again.

How did fresh water get in the tank? If you are not sure it may be from a hole in the tank. I also expearenced that as well. The outrage I have sat up for 5 years with 20 gallons of gas in it so I always thought it was old filthy gas and the tank was just that dirty from varnished gas.

Tank pressure test would have saved me a lot of time. Your story sounds almost exactly like mine by the way.

Edited by cg_wilson2003 on 07/14/15 - 3:51 PM

SJ
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/15 - 3:59 PM

The previouse owner failed to take out drain plug during the rainy season and the boat flooded. The gas filler and overflow lines failed/cracked and allowed water to get in.

cg_wilson2003
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/15 - 4:15 PM

SJ wrote:
The previouse owner failed to take out drain plug during the rainy season and the boat flooded. The gas filler and overflow lines failed/cracked and allowed water to get in.

All the junk I described would be ontop of the tank as well and could have been introduced through the broken line.

That being said I would pressure test the tank before you spend any more money on it. Sitting under water would speed any corrosion that was there as the foam is likely fully saturated.

Regardless of if there is a hole It's a 30+ year old tank and well passed its service life. I just replaced mine during winter. I sure enjoy not using on deck tanks and the piece of mind of it being all new. Florida Marine Tanks built it for me and it went very smooth and the tank fit perfect.

Good luck.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 4:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,702,203 unique visits