View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Steering Wheel Play
Papa Charlie
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 6:25 AM

Comments: 0

Hello, I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 1995 13ft Dauntless. The boat is in excellent condition, almost looks new with center console, Mercury 50hp 4-Stroke OB, VHF and Depth Sounder.

My only issue is that there is a significant amount of play in the steering wheel. Most noticeable at slow speeds with maybe 20 degrees of free movement. Is there an adjustment to take out some of this play?

Thanks in advance for your help.

wing15601
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 7:19 AM

You need to find someone with the same type and brand steering system to do a comparison. Are the nuts which connect the cable's outer sleeve to the tube at the engine and the head under your console snug? I think most cable steering systems have some play and the only way to eliminate that is to get hydraulic steering at around $600 if you put it in yourself.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

WE Whaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 8:01 AM
Personal Page

Talk to us in more detail about the "play" you are feeling. Does the outboard motor move when you move the wheel or are you talking about lack of response when you are at slow speed?

Papa Charlie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 9:47 AM

Lack of response. At stand still there seems to be about 10-20 degrees of wheel movement before I see movement at the engine. This is most noticeable in steering the boat at low speeds as you have move the steering wheel back and forth a lot to keep the boat headed straight. When at high speed, it seems to not be an issue.
I have operated cable steering boats before and have not experienced this issue.

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 12:22 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

How many turns lock-to-lock?

Is the steering arm and bracket connecting hardware at the motor end all tight?

The steering on my 1987 Montauk had a lot of slop. With my hand at 12 o'clock, the motor would start turning when my hand got to 3 o'clock. This was very noticeable and annoying when doing slow speed maneuvering.

gary0319
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/15 - 5:54 PM
Personal Page

I have a 1998 Dauntless 15 and have had the steering hub and cables replaced a couple of years ago. I still have slop in the wheel, maybe 15 degrees, maybe more. It bugged me for a while, my mechanic (not the one that replaced the steering components) assured me that all cable steering has some slop and didn't think mine was excessive. I've since gotten used to it and don't even notice anymore.

One additional point. My boat would "wander" at slow speed and the slop in the steering seemed to make it worse. I've since added a Dole Fin to help with the hole shot/low planning, and the wandering is gone.

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Papa Charlie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/15 - 7:02 AM

I will be checking all the connections this weekend. I have thought about adding a fin to the motor as I think the boat takes a little too long to come out of the hole with a Mercury 50HP 4-Stroke on it. It is only a 13 footer. I realize that this is a lot of motor on the back end but would have expected a little quicker response.
I only purchased the boat last Saturday, June 27th, so have only got a chance to play with it on Sunday. Taking the next 5 days off for the July 4th and will look into the items you all have suggested.
If it is a product of the beast I will simply need to get use to it. My other boat (Bayliner 4588) has hydraulic steering so will have to get use to going back and forth.
Sure love this boat. It is replacing a 12 ft RIB with a Honda 9.9 4-Stroke as my tender and play boat.
Thanks for all the help. Will let you know what I find.

whalerman
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/15 - 7:20 AM

Comments: 5

Since it is a used boat at 20 years old and no telling what the previous owner(s) did to it, I would go ahead and change out the whole steering system for a new NO-FEED BACK cable system. It's not that expensive vs hydraulic. If what you have is a no-feed back system, then the clutches are bad in the steering head. Change it out before it fails underway making way. As for the hole shot not being what you expect, then the motor needs to be checked out for the basics; compression/leak down test, spark, fuel pressure and go from there, again if original motor, 20 years old and no telling what the history is. The addition of the fin- BAND AID to another problem, either the engine is too low and or prop is not the right one. Alum. or stainless? All things to consider but, do fix the steering first!!!

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

EJO
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/15 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I agree with whalerman. Last weekend I drove my boat 60 miles round trip on Lake Michigan and with the NO-FEED BACK steering I have (Teleflex BW factory installed) I could set a course and join my son up on the front fore-deck pad for several minutes at the time.
Yes I know not safe seamanship but boy did she run much nicer over the chop at 5000 rpm with my 250 lbs up front instead behind the CC.
I love the (NO)feel of this steering system as you don't constantly have to correct you course going straight or in a turn.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 10:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,984,368 unique visits