View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1977 13' Sport seat location
AReinhart
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 5:13 AM

Comments: 0

Hello, I started buying the parts that convert a sport model to the later super sport, I.E, wrap around railing and aft seatback and storage box. While doing so, I've been studying pictures of super sports to ensure I get it correct. Looking closely, I started to think that I didn't have as much room in the area behind the aft thwart seat. This really became apparent when I tried to install a low profile 12 gallon fuel tank. So I pulled up a picture of my Whaler and a known stock super sport and sure enough, something is different. I then started reading the information on this site regarding model changes. Take a look at my pictures, the only thing that makes sense to me is that I don't have a sport at all. Somewhere down the line, the sport console was added to a tiller model and they didn't move the interior forward. If this is the case, how far forward do I need to move it? Somewhere in here I think I came across a foot or so but I'd like to get it as exact as I can. I've got plenty of slack in my control cables, is it simply a matter of taking all the fasteners out, slide it forward, reattach everything and then fill the holes with west system or something? I don't think I can just leave it as is because I don't have any room behind the seat....ill post a picture in a minute as soon as I figure out how.

AReinhart
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 5:19 AM

Here's my boat. That is a standard size battery and Yamaha 6 gallon tank.

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/ARe...s.jpg.html

(fixed url as img does not work)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/22/15 - 11:01 AM

AReinhart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 5:33 AM

Here is a picture of a beautiful super sport I found on the web and the boat I'm using as an example for my own.

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/ARe...j.jpg.html

(fixed url as img does not work)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/22/15 - 11:01 AM

WE Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 6:31 AM
Personal Page

You may be on to something that your 13 was initially a tiller model. Take a look at the wood locating diagram for the 1971 13' located in the downloads section. The best I can figure is that you work off the location of the foot for the console for Sport and Super Sport configurations. I'm guessing if you measure where the wood is in the floor for the console foot you'll see that it's under your front seat.

tmann45
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 7:21 AM

AReinhart wrote:
...Somewhere down the line, the sport console was added to a tiller model and they didn't move the interior forward. If this is the case, how far forward do I need to move it? Somewhere in here I think I came across a foot or so but I'd like to get it as exact as I can...

I can't tell you how far forward to move it, but I have a link in this post http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=18067
with pictured measurements that should help you.

AReinhart
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 5:10 PM

WE, Tmann; that's got to be it. It's the only thing that makes sense. Anyway, non of this is exact science so I just started measuring until it looked right, kept my butt aft of amidship, and left room for the front passengers legs. It ended up being 9" forward. Now my new fuel tank fits and it looks like ill have room for a storage compartment. Here is what it looks like now:

(IMG LINKS DO NOT WORK HERE. PLEASE PUT IN JUST THE URL LINK)

Much much better. I took it out for a few hours an it even rides better now. Makes me wonder though, if all of this was just thrown in the boat, I wonder if it is all attached the way Whaler intended it to be attached??? So far, everything is screwed into the fiberglass with 2" SS wood screws and finish washers......

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/22/15 - 5:53 PM

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/15 - 5:57 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

(IMG LINKS DO NOT WORK HERE. PLEASE PUT IN JUST THE URL LINK)

See your post #2 and #3 above along with the "Frequently Asked Questions" about photos.
http://www.whalercentral.com/faq.php?...p?cat_id=3

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/22/15 - 5:58 PM

AReinhart
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/24/15 - 6:23 AM

Thanks Joe, every forum has different rules and regs on photos; I'm on so many I forget which is which and what is what. Let me try again,

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u...fmepea.jpg

This link looks like the ones you repaired.?.?.

Anyway, here is 9" forward from where it was originally.

Edited by AReinhart on 05/24/15 - 6:25 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 1:08 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,706,573 unique visits