View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Revenge Cabin Repairs
Jay Fitz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/15 - 7:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I'm looking at a Revenge 20 WT that is for sale and can see from the pictures posted it has a chunk of missing "fabric" inside the cabin, on the bow wall. Has anyone repaired a Whaler cabin? What is the original material used and is it available anywhere?

Thanks.

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/15 - 9:26 PM

VA Whaler has a Revenge that came with a fabric repair kit. He may very well have insight for repair and availability. I vacuumed the heck out of mine for the nasty dust that falls. Good luck, I know you have been looking for a while for the right Revenge.
Garris

Jay Fitz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/15 - 5:19 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Garris. Yeah, been looking and I have seen many,and although my wife wants a cabin, I'm torn...I really dig my Montauk! It's such an easy boat!

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/15 - 6:25 AM

Jay, you will learn to love the cabin. I mean love. A recent Craigslist in your area 22' Revenge, Hanover, I think has more value and versatility than the 20 ' Revenge in Bethlehem. I checked out the pictures of both. Both need work. I own the identical hull of the Hanover boat and can fill you in on the upgrades. Again....good luck.

Garris

Jay Fitz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/15 - 10:07 AM
Personal Page

gchuba wrote:
Jay, you will learn to love the cabin. I mean love. A recent Craigslist in your area 22' Revenge, Hanover, I think has more value and versatility than the 20 ' Revenge in Bethlehem. I checked out the pictures of both. Both need work. I own the identical hull of the Hanover boat and can fill you in on the upgrades. Again....good luck.

Garris

Thanks for the offer and input Garris. My first question is the WT vs. the older Revenge hull, do you find it difficult accessing the bow deck via the hatch? Although, the WT railing does seem to limit the bow deck space as well.

And why do you feel the older hull offers more value and versatility that the newer 20 WT?

gchuba
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/15 - 8:48 PM

Jay, the versatility of the early 22' is it is easily converted to a "walk around". It was a narrow cabin. The anchor locker storage is accessible from the interior of cuddy but....deploying the anchor can be easily done walking to the bow outside of the cuddy. , I raised my railings from the second stanchion down from the cuddy and matched the height to run parallel with the gunnels. The taller rails makes the walk safer and frees up the space in the cuddy . I installed an electric anchor winch which is managed from the pilot seat. The 22' boat in question also has a stainless rail which protects the motor. The boat is a little cheaper than the one you are interested in. Quite frankly, for the $2000 savings I would very well purchase it as a "back up hull " for my own boat if it was for sale on the west coast. I say grab it.

Garris

Edit: Jay....these comments are being made if the condition of the hulls are both in similar/good shape.

Edited by gchuba on 04/29/15 - 7:36 AM

VA Whaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/15 - 7:20 PM
Personal Page

Jay, like Garris, I have a 1979 22' Revenge but the headliner in my boat was in pretty bad shape. Every time you'd brush against the material, you'd get a face full of dust. I tried vacuuming it but it basically crumbled. On a cool day last summer I put on my old work clothes, gloves, respirator, earplugs and stuck a running full size Shop-Vac in the cabin and started scraping the material off the cabin ceiling/walls. It was a dirty job but the material came down easy for the most part. After about an hour of scraping and vacuuming I had the liner and the layer of foam backing removed.

The cabin walls are bare but its a huge improvement over the prior condition. The former owner included a roll of headliner material that looks to be from the factory. I have 0 upholstering experience and no desire to give it a shot so one of the last steps of my restoration will be to find an upholsterer to replace the foam padding and the headliner.

Good luck in your search.

John

steelhead55
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/15 - 12:59 PM

I also have a 79 Revenge V22. Much like VA whaler I scraped the junk of the bottom of the interior of the cabin. Instead of re-upholstering it, I just prepped it and painted it, and I have to say I was surprisingly surprised with the clean looking results. This is also a good option, and it eliminates the inevitable tears that come along with boat cabin headliners.

gchuba
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/15 - 5:10 PM

My interior cloth is intact. I found it helps insulate. How hot do your cabins get without the cloth and do you notice condensation forming? Condensation does form on my hatch window.

Garris

steelhead55
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 11:12 AM

gchuba wrote:
My interior cloth is intact. I found it helps insulate. How hot do your cabins get without the cloth and do you notice condensation forming? Condensation does form on my hatch window.

Garris

Hi Garris

I have found it is generally so cold on the ocean out here, it is not a problem. As far as when the boat is in my driveway and I am working on it, it definitely gets warmer, and the underside of the fiberglass (where it is painted) is warm to the touch.

I actually have'nt had any condensation issues on the windows at all.

Looks like the salmon are starting to make there way south, down towards Bodega, are you going to have that boat out anytime soon?

gchuba
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 11:32 AM

The welder emailed me that my recent hard top attachments are done. Now back the the shop for the last phase of manufacturing....Once back in my yard hopefully all come together fairly soon. I am letting the through hull drains air and once the t top (with some rocket launchers) is attached... off to the electronics man. All my old mounts without the hard top are now obsolete (lights, antenna, etc...). I am dying out here... I was this close to wrapping it up and getting it wet when the hard top walked into my life. Just so much easier to wait and run the wiring when opened up like it is.

Thanks for letting me know about the insulating. My canvas interior is in good shape with an occasional kick butt vacuuming. The canvas by the front seats where the little storage shelf/box is....is shot. I would love to locate some of the matching material. The salmon have been located locally in Bodega at 50 fathoms out past the weather buoy.The winds keep them safe. Few windows.

Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 4:45 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,988,496 unique visits