View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13' drain tube installation question
huckelberry145
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/15 - 4:26 PM

Comments: 3

I am replacing the brass drain tubes in a 1971 13' sport. The transom is angled where the bottom drain goes in, therefore I can't crimp the flare straight. How do I get a watertight crimp on the tube?

Thanks

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/15 - 10:00 AM

Comments: 0

I have fooled with that angle issue. I heat the end of the pipe before flaring. I try to flare the water side angle first outside of the boat. I have extra pipe and cut long. Scribe the end I am doing first and cut to match the angle using a cutting blade on a 4" grinder. Ridge ream the end. I undersize the bolt one diameter that comes in the kit as well as cutting down the neck of the flaring head so it does not deeply rub on the interior of the pipe. I then bend the bolt to match the angle a little better and tighten. I tried using all thread with a couple of lock nuts but.....even with additional lock washers the double nut side spun and screwed with the angle pressure. I bought a bunch of bolts to custom bend accordingly. I like doing the water side first because to me.....the most important. I place the tube in the hole and scribe the opposite side cutting long by 5/16" ( extra pipe length from memory, I referred to the Tom Clark article) and reversed the process. You need some one on the opposite side of the bolt holding it dead solid. If it turns, it throws the mitering off. Some fellows use the air hammer method from the article. I use the nuts and attach one of the flaring heads to a bolt with some nuts and tap it with a hammer for touch up. Sometimes just use the ball pinned hammer for a couple of taps. The method is dictated by access for which side to do first.

Good luck and have extra pipe on hand. I nearly went through a 3' length for my first fitting. I load up the the drilled hole in the boat with "BoatLife Sealant" to aid in sealing with the rubber O ring. Not too much or it distorts the rubber....mostly inside the holes edge. Some use some epoxies but I worry what would happen to the hull if I have to go in there again.
Garris

huckelberry145
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/15 - 10:06 AM

Comments: 3

Thanks Garris.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 7:04 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,710,045 unique visits