View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Self-bailing Sport 150 2008
randolphp
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/15 - 4:11 AM

Comments: 0

I read on page 2-6 in my Owner's Manual that my boat is self-bailing. I didn't know this and I'm relieved to know that the boat is self-bailing because it changes my thoughts and planning about leaving the boat at a mooring this summer. My boat has a 60 hp Mercury on the transom. The manual says that the boat will self-bail without the weight of people aboard. Has this been people's experience with the Sport 150 - that it does self-bail well enough that if I also cover the boat with my mooring cover that I can leave the boat alone at the mooring for awhile and not worry about the cockpit filling with water? For me, knowing the boat is self-bailing changes everything and I'm greatly relieved. But I'd like to know for sure. Please share your experience. Thanks!

PS I put this message in the Parts section by mistake.

blacksmithdog
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/15 - 4:18 AM
Personal Page

I haven't owned a Sport 150 specifically, but I have owned 6 whalers in the past 30+ years, and my experience has been about the same on all of them with regard to self bailing. Sitting still, like at a mooring, when you pull the plug some water will come in, an inch or two, and more in the stern than the bow. The water will equalize at that level. If it rains and water gets in the boat, it always equalizes to that level. I always have kept my whalers on their trailers, but I have been at the lake and wanted to keep the boat in the water overnight, and I always pull the plug in case of rain.

randolphp
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/15 - 5:06 PM

Thanks for your message. I can sleep at night despite the image of an inch or two of salt water in the cockpit. It seems like there's going to be some water in the cockpit even if I fix the mooring cover over the boat to keep rain out. That's OK with me. When I'm underway will the water go out the drain hole in the base of the transom or am I going to have to bail the boat before I leave the mooring? I just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

blacksmithdog
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/15 - 10:29 AM
Personal Page

Oh, the water will go out the drain hull, you do need to be moving along pretty well, just guessing above 12 mph? Just have the plug handy.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 7:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Ermanno
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,965
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,710,247 unique visits