View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1971 13' Whaler (Sport)
Rosner
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/15 - 6:56 PM

Comments: 0

Looking at purchasing a 1971 13' Whaler (Sport) from a neighbor who refinished the boat. No info on the history, looks nice as the seats have been re varnished and the hull of the boat painted with marine paint (top and bottom).

Question, what issues should I look for in the boat when I inspect it (if any)? Any concern that the hull has been painted?

Thank you. Jordan

GFC
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/15 - 9:21 PM

Jordan
I bought a 1971 13' Sport last fall and love it. I don't really know what to advise you on what to look for but I'd start with finding out if the owner has owned it long. If so does he have maintenance records? Does he have photos of the restoration job so you can see if it was done properly?

We have used ours quite a bit including a few hours today. Here are some links to photos of ours.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...e061cc.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...2a3145.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...2a3145.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3...f5a79d.jpg

Edited by GFC on 04/13/15 - 9:22 PM

wing15601
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 7:55 AM

What kind of paint did he use? If he used enamel it will probably have to be painted annually to maintain the shine. If he used polyurethane and you protect it (like in a garage) when not in use you could go 5 years. If he used 2 part epoxy paint it could go 10 years. Some paints are easily repaired, some aren't. Some can be polished when they start to dull. Find out what he used and read up on it. Be aware that some paints, like Interlux Brightsides Polyurethane aren't meant to be continuously immersed in water so if you slip or moor your boat you would want to remove that from the bottom and replace with a paint which would tolerate the water.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Rosner
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 8:08 AM

wing15601 wrote:
What kind of paint did he use? If he used enamel it will probably have to be painted annually to maintain the shine. If he used polyurethane and you protect it (like in a garage) when not in use you could go 5 years. If he used 2 part epoxy paint it could go 10 years. Some paints are easily repaired, some aren't. Some can be polished when they start to dull. Find out what he used and read up on it. Be aware that some paints, like Interlux Brightsides Polyurethane aren't meant to be continuously immersed in water so if you slip or moor your boat you would want to remove that from the bottom and replace with a paint which would tolerate the water.

He used a 2yr Epoxy sealed bottom paint. Looks good (flat not shiny) but when I asked about putting boat in the water he said no because it will change the color of the paint (which I never heard of). To his credit he will guarantee the boat is water tight and sits properly on the water (for initial day of sale, i.e. no long term warrantee) which makes the sale easier to do (for me).

I have a jet ski lift that is not used for a jet ski that I may see if the Whaler will sit on.

Edited by Rosner on 04/14/15 - 8:12 AM

wing15601
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 8:19 AM

What brand and type of paint? If it is anti fouling paint then it is made for continuous immersion and will reduce/eliminate any marine growth on the hull. Yeah, bottom paint changes, fades, if it is an ablative paint ( the best to use for a trailered boat) but that won't hurt it. The older whalers all have water in the foam. some very little, some are very wet. Have you seen this boat in the water? Where are the motor well scuppers relative to the water? if they are above the water I wouldn't worry too much. If you moor or slip store the boat you have to repaint whenever the ablative paint wears off. I don't understand why he would put anti fouling paint on a boat that isn't stored in the water. Read the paint manufacturers website. Good luck. You'll love a Whaler.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Rosner
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 8:54 AM

wing15601 wrote:
What brand and type of paint? If it is anti fouling paint then it is made for continuous immersion and will reduce/eliminate any marine growth on the hull. Yeah, bottom paint changes, fades, if it is an ablative paint ( the best to use for a trailered boat) but that won't hurt it. The older whalers all have water in the foam. some very little, some are very wet. Have you seen this boat in the water? Where are the motor well scuppers relative to the water? if they are above the water I wouldn't worry too much. If you moor or slip store the boat you have to repaint whenever the ablative paint wears off. I don't understand why he would put anti fouling paint on a boat that isn't stored in the water. Read the paint manufacturers website. Good luck. You'll love a Whaler.

Thanks for the note. The drain hole is just above the floor by about 1 inch (no bailer) so we would use a plug which will be open when on the lift. The boat will probably be on the jet ski lift assuming the width is not an issue so paint should last longer than normal. I was reading about the changes in the boat design and that the motor transom was changed from 15" to 20" in the early 1970s so only real concern is if the 15HP engine is too heavy for the boat and if the hull has water. Person who refinished the boat owns a small marina and used boat selling business (and sounds like he knows a thing or two about boats) - said the hull is dry based upon being able to lift it with 4 people.

For $2500 it is not a big risk so excited to own a Whaler. Thanks again.

Edited by Rosner on 04/14/15 - 8:55 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 9:00 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.30 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,991,527 unique visits