View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1995 Dauntless 17 Drain Question
carter samford
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/15 - 11:12 AM

Comments: 0

I bought a 1995 Dauntless 17' Dual Console model yesterday for a project. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years and it was full of leaves. I hope someone out there may be familiar with these boats. My question is about the drains. There is a storage box on the starboard side rear corner and all of the control cables run through this box from the hull through the box and into the splashwell. My question is where does this drain too. When the box fills with water it drains back into the hull and I don't see anything going to the ground. This water has to go somewhere but I can't see where. I think I may have something plugged, the boat was full of leaves.
Grateful for any help.
Thanks

(changed abbreviated year to full 4 digit year for clarification)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/12/15 - 11:54 AM

carter samford
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/15 - 11:39 AM

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/csamf10419/library/?sort=3&page=1
Added a couple of pictures to photobucket with my lo pro

Flounder
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/15 - 6:40 PM
Personal Page

Nice clean Lopro there, looks like Texas City Dike in the background.

Is this the pic you're referring to?

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/csamf10419/media/dauntless%20drain%201_zpsoc85vjlm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

If yes then I have the same drain in a 1993 Outrage 19, I just plug mine every time I get on the water and it never fills up.

carter samford
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/15 - 8:07 AM

Thanks Flounder.
Not Texas City. Sylvan Beach Park Boat Ramp. La Porte.

I still can't figure out where that water is draining to. Don't want to fill the hull up with water.
I am going to pull the deck plate. I want to inspect the fuel tank anyway. It looks fairly easy on this boat.
Should be able to figure it out from there.

dauntless-n-miami
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/15 - 9:59 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello Carter, that rigging access you discuss is basically the same as with my 1996 Dauntless 15. There should be a 1.0 inch drain nearly at the center of that compartment which is visible through the 4 or 5 inch inspection port. If not plugged it well let in either sea water or fresh water which will fill the rigging tunnel that is under your deck. Typicall the accumulated water will drain once underway but, once you slow or stop it refills. There my already be silt or other accumulated in the tunnel and rigging.

If the Dauntless is on a trailer I would suggest a thorough fresh water (with degreaser) flush from the console side access back to the rigging compartment allowing it to drain. I was amazed at what came out of the rigging tunnel in my boat during the flush, old lures, paper, pieces of strange looking things. I also carefully ran an electricians "snake" with an attached rag to wipe and push any stuck debris that may have not cleared while flushing.

In my Project Album I detailed how I installed a small bilge pump within this rigging compartment for removal of any water that gets into this area. I do keep mine plugged when boating but, any deck water that accumulates finds it's way into that compartment thus my bilge pump. Once back on the trailer I pull the plug and drive my rig home using gravity to further drain.

Hope this helps...
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

carter samford
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 1:54 PM

Hi Angel,
I think you have me on the right track but on my 17 to pull that lid to the utility tunnel I believe the whole drivers side console will have to come loose. Steering, instrument panel, gauges, wires and cables. This will be a mess.
If I truly am on the right track I am cussing Whaler right now. If anyone has ever gotten into this I would be grateful for any advice. Thing is I can see this happening in the future too. Poor design.
Thanks

Flounder
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/15 - 11:18 PM
Personal Page

Carter, I don't think your 17 has the plug that Angel stated in his post. I used to have a Duantless 13 and it had the access cover to the rigging tunnel and 1" hole that Angel described but on my 18 there is no such hole.

wing15601
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/15 - 6:38 AM

Carter, put some food coloring in a gallon of water and pour it in there to see where it comes out.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

dauntless-n-miami
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/15 - 9:25 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello again Carter, so your side mounted helm does not have an access door that will allow you to view down where the harness and rigging enters the deck??? So you do have the 1.0" diameter drain port that I described previously?

I think I may have confused you or myself, your deck should have a square black deck plate/cover at the starboard rear where the electrical harness and rigging exit to the motor, yes? It should also have a 4.0" diameter inspection port. Some Dauntlesses of our vintage had 2 of these deck/rigging covers others (like mine) only have the rear one, does yours have the forward cover down in the side mount helm? If so, that would then explain your frustration in gaining easy access.

You may have to get creative if you decide to wash-out the rigging tunnel. Carter, if the rigging at your starboard rear allows undo the screws that secure the black deck cover and try to raise it a bit to better access the compartment for a better inspection.

Regarding Flounder's Dauntless 18, that hull if its a 1999 or newer (which I think it may be) are quite different that our Dauntlesses built from 1994 thru 1998.

All the best with the project...
Angel M.

Edited by dauntless-n-miami on 04/15/15 - 9:36 AM
1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

carter samford
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/15 - 4:14 PM

Everyone,
Thanks everyone I figured it out. For those who may have a problem with this. I lifted the front of the boat as high as I could with a floor jack. I hooked a piece of stiff 3/8" plastic tubing to a garden hose and stuck it in the utility tunnel at the splash well and with the water on pushed it all the way out the other end under the console. The tunnel was full of leaves and nasty stuff. Under the console if it backs up water will flow over into the compartment that holds the gas tank and this drains to the storage compartment at the back of the boat where the sump is that has a bilge pump and drain plug. There is a 3/4" PVC pipe between the tank compartment and the storage compartment with the sump. This was plugged and that was the majority of my problem.
Thanks again,
Carter

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 11:26 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,985,240 unique visits