View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Towing boat long distance
bcoastal
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/14 - 6:09 PM

Comments: 0

I want to take my 1986 25' outrage from galveston to venice this winter. Only problem is my truck for towing is a 1999 1500 with a 5.3. I'm concerned Im maxing out the tow rating. Boat and trailer probably weigh in around 6k and the tow capacity is 6400 on the door sticker. What are opinions for towing total of 850 miles with this setup?

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/14 - 6:18 PM

If you are within the rated capacity of the manufacturer, you are fine. If you have an automatic transmission. Make sure it stays cool (no overdrive). Make sure the brakes are functioning on the trailer with the bearings serviced and greased. Pull over every so often and feel them anyway. Stopping becomes an issue with the larger tow loads.

Garris

If it is a factory bolt on hitch, crawl over it and check for cracks and missing bolts.

Edited by gchuba on 12/16/14 - 6:20 PM

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/14 - 12:20 PM

Comments: 16

As Garris indicates, you can do it easily, assuming the TRAILER has good brakes, preferably disc. Drum brakes are worthless in a saltwater environment and quickly becoming obsolete.
Since 1990, EVRY YEAR I have towed my Outrage 25 with twin 200 Mercs (a boat that is probably heavier than yours) 1400 miles EACH WAY from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale, with a Caddy with 5.7 liter GM/Chevy V-8. Per owners manual, I HAVE to drive in 3rd (no overdrive allowed), I get about 9 MPG and never go over 63 MPH. This speed is perfect, since all the traffic will be passing you continuously, which basically leaves the road wide open ahead of you as they speed by. The only thing you have to watch out for are the semi-s and other large non-aerodynamic vehicles such as a bus/RV, which can draw you in to them as they go by. So I stay as far right as possible and have no problems. My Continental trailer is in great shape, even though it is a 1989 model also. I use Goodyear Marathon radials.

I assume you are talking about Venice FL. Co-incidentally, I am over there several times during the winter season with my 25, since the lady in my life owns an ocean front home on Casey Key (just north of Venice), complete with Intercoastal side dock. So I will keep an eye out for you.

bcoastal
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/14 - 2:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am worried that it will be to much stress for my truck but this gives me confidence. I will be towing it to Venice la in search of big tuna and wahoo. About 900 miles round trip.

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/14 - 6:03 PM

Comments: 16

Sorry - wrong Venice!

gchuba
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/14 - 10:38 PM

!!!OOPS, I POSTED IN TOWING , NOT TIRES, I HOPE AN ADMINISTRATOR COULD CORRECT!!!

I agree with Finnegan about a good used tire. It must come from a responsible tire dealer, not Craigslist (I have some 7.50 x 17's as a standing order, they are . I would take a good used over a recap any day of the week. I still would say go with truck or trailer tire. I know your weight load does not match the trailer but dual axle trailers tend to track straight on a turn. The tires work against each other. A single axle trailer is more responsive.

Garris

Edited by gchuba on 12/17/14 - 10:42 PM

jvz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/19/14 - 6:01 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

We take the Outrage out to Newport Beach/Catalina every summer from Austin...14 hrs to Phoenix, spend the night and roll the next morning 5 hrs into Newport.

Trailer maintenance goes without saying.. Since I took the boat out of the Marina I trailer a lot!

Every year I put new bearings on, (carry spare bearing kit) make sure all running lights are good..every other year new tires. Check trailer bunks and hardware..spare tire.

Every fuel stop, check the load, check the tires...
I tow with a 3/4 ton Silverado..don't even feel the boat. Maintain 65/70mph..I-10 goes on forever.

Keep the boat fuel tank empty and usually top off just before Blythe, before crossing the CA border - The Flying J has cheap fuel.

You could even get a temporary dry storage out there and fly back & forth...so easy with jet Blue & South West

Go for it and have fun!

*Or take your 25' to Mazatlan, put it on the ferry to Cabo...you won't come home. ; )

Edited by jvz on 12/19/14 - 7:01 AM

Silentpardner
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/14 - 10:41 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Good luck on the trip bcoastal! Be sure and post about your experience there, I am very interested in trying the same thing soon. I am considering trailering the Outrage 18 for a trip out of Venice, the big game species are very close range compared to our TX coast. The only thing that has prevented me from already doing that is I still can't figure out how I could get the large 250 lb class Tuna back to the dock in edible condition on such a small boat! :)

FlyAU98
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/21/14 - 6:54 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Silentpardner wrote:
Good luck on the trip bcoastal! Be sure and post about your experience there, I am very interested in trying the same thing soon. I am considering trailering the Outrage 18 for a trip out of Venice, the big game species are very close range compared to our TX coast. The only thing that has prevented me from already doing that is I still can't figure out how I could get the large 250 lb class Tuna back to the dock in edible condition on such a small boat! :)

Bring a couple coolers full of ice and throw the fish in a kiddie pool from walmart on the bow...dump ice in pool, put towels over fish for insulation??? I guess you'd have to make sure the tuna was dead first...

I've never done it, but that quickly jumped into my mind...

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 2:06 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,972,278 unique visits