View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Starting from square one
bottomline
#21 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/14 - 2:33 PM

Comments: 0

Changed my mind. what's new, went with the stainless steel. whalers have so much stainless railing, I couldn't mix the metals. Better looking too, no black fittings either like on the aluminum. Beefed up the center railing post, larger bolts and backing material that's screwed into the wood support on the inside of the console. The backing material I use is plastic cutting board you can get at the grocery store.Put the trailer guides on , didn't want to tear a transducer on a trailer rail putting it on the trailer. when I get the bimini tee top I'll have to adapt a rail mount hinge on the forward part of the console hand railing. the other mounts to the console to the back side area.

Binkie
#22 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/14 - 1:46 PM
Personal Page

A little human interest story about Raymarine. Ray Jefferson, the founder of Ray Marine was my neighbor. He lived two doors down from my house when I was a kid. I remember that he was a Kaiser-Frazer automobile dealer back in the 1940's. I guess he dabbled in marine electronics on the side. When K/F went bankrupt in the late '40's he started selling marine ship to shore radios under the name (RAY JEFF). He had the first TV in the neighborhood, way before anyone else. He would leave his front window blinds up in the summer evenings, and the window open so us kids could look in and watch TV. He never let us in his house though. We were about 7-10 years old then. I don't remember him as very friendly though, later on, I never bought his stuff, although it was high quality.

Rich

bottomline
#23 Print Post
Posted on 12/18/14 - 2:00 PM

getting closer to finishing this Whaler.got the vhf gps/sounder/chart plotter,rear bait tank switch mounted.Replaced the running lights switch, and waiting for the bait tank to come in so I can plumb that. Mounted the bait pump on the transom and ran power back to the chrome access cover on the starboard side for the running lights. drilled a hole in the cover and put a waterproof switch there.

Weatherly
#24 Print Post
Posted on 12/18/14 - 3:23 PM

Comments: 4

Are you going to share some photographs of your completed BW17 Montauk rig?

bottomline
#25 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/14 - 4:51 AM

Yes I am going share some photos with you. I just got the bait tank yesterday from fedex. It's a 13 gallon kodiak oval bait tank that I'm going to mount on a poly something base. I'll be mounting it on the teak bench in the rear of the boat.Might plumb a bait tank feed/wash down set up.Waiting for the bimini tee top to come. Then I can finish for now, and take some pictures. I don't remember outfitting a boat that required so much thought involved in preping for fishing. Must be getting old.

bottomline
#26 Print Post
Posted on 12/23/14 - 6:35 PM

The convertible version of my montauk is almost there. I have laid out the most practical, sensible,best use of space configuration I can come up with. I have tweeked, (modified) everything in My head and hands on till i'm blue in the face. I;m looking for the perfect boat till it makes me sick. Someone talks to me and I'm listening and something about the boat pops into My head on how to make it work.I've actually lost weight from not eating to do one last thing on the boat.Can;t wait for it to be done, and hate that it might be done, and I'll have nothing to work on.

bottomline
#27 Print Post
Posted on 12/27/14 - 4:10 PM

Just finished installing the on-board charger. I went with an 8amp 2-bank because of it's size and weight. I mounted unit on some backing and secured it to the center console plywood for the center grab rail mount. It worked out great with the waterproof plug in connector. tied up some loose wires under the console.Remember it takes 5 minutes to remove the seat and tank to get under the console. Make your life easier and remove them

bottomline
#28 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/14 - 7:18 AM

Took a maiden voyage around the harbor and around the break water.My mechanic suggested i do this because of the length of time the boat wasn't running.It sat for about 6 years.It ran better the more time i put on the engine. Bait tank worked great, along with all the electronics.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 3:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,030,930 unique visits