View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What's in your Emergency Kit?
Perry Vayo
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/14 - 2:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I just picked up a great little dry box that is going to house my first aid kit and a few other things to keep handy just in case. So, I thought it might be good to ask, "What's in your boats emergency kit?", in order to be sure I don't over look anything.

Fire away!

dougt
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/14 - 2:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

First Air Kit
Distress Flag
Throwable Cushion
PDF's
Fire Extinguisher
VHF portable

Will be adding flares when I get to Florida. I think they are required there.

If you asking what's in my First aid kit?

1. 4 x 4 gauze pads
2. Pressure dressing
3. Ace bandage
4. Bandage sizzors
5. Tape
6. Bandaids
7. Tape
8. Cravat
9. Anti-biotic ointment
10. Ibuprophen

Doug

Edited by dougt on 09/30/14 - 2:35 PM
1996 Sport GLS 13' - 1996 Johnson 40hp, 2 Stroke

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/14 - 7:53 PM

Everything on my boat passes Coast Guard regulations if boarded (which did happen when I needed a tow for fuel issues). Passed with flying colors minus a "fix it" ticket for not having registration. Everything from a "life ring" to up to currently dated flares to fire extinguishers to etc... . I also have a Coast Guard approved first aid kit. Follow the C. G. regulations and you will feel more secure. They do make sense. I also carry a boarding ladder as well as a warm cap and neck scarf for hypothermia if some one (me) takes a dump into the water. Courtesy of an earlier thread on this site warming after getting dunked, head/neck a must among other techniques.

Garris

wing15601
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/14 - 8:35 PM

Here's a link to the Coast Guard safety gear requirements. I would like to offer that you should prudently have better than the cheapest you can get. Also those requirements are the minimum and many Mariners carry more. http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/publications/420.pdf

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

awayland
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/14 - 5:06 AM
Personal Page

To add to the above, Very Heavy wire cutters for cutting barbs off fishing hooks. Prop nut, Kotter pin, propnut wrench and spare prop.

1970 custom 16 with 1999 Merc 2 stroke 90hp

Whalerbob
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/14 - 6:44 AM
Personal Page

I have two emergency kits on the boat, one for the boat and one for me.
In addition to most items listed above, in the "for me" kit I also keep the following; PLB, Waterproof LED flashlight (Fennix TK35), LED headlamp (Fuse), glow sticks, spare glasses, Leatherman, Orange trash bags for flotation and visibility if I'm in the water, small hank of line, cigarette lighter in waterproof case.
The "for the boat" kit stays in the console and has all the parts and tools I need to fix most issues on the water. I also have a boating emergency kit in my truck for the trailer and boat repair work I'm not likely to perform on the water.

Perry Vayo
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/14 - 6:59 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Separating into tow kits makes sense. I was thinking of an "all in one" but doing it in two seems like a better idea. I've got some parts collecting to do!

I love all the feedback, its very helpful.

EJO
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/14 - 8:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Perry the US CG recommendations should be followed. Also you can contact your local USPS (US Power Squadron) as the will do VSC (Vessel Safety Checks) for free and tell you what isn't up to par if needed.
You said upstate NY check http://www.usps.org/d_stuff/dist.html/dist.html I don't know if you're in District 6 or District 2 but the have squadrons in many cities in those areas.
Give them a call and tell them you want a VSC (your boat does not need to be in the water) and they'll be happy to have a USCG certified volunteer do it.
Safe and happy boating

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

gchuba
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/14 - 7:00 PM

If I recall, when I outfitted my boat I was looking at "Commercial Standards" for safety standards. Hence the "Life Ring vs. Flotation Cushion" among other items. When I was boarded the only two commercially specked items I did not have were the "EPIRB" (I have since purchased) and the self inflating life raft (will be on my boat soon). The EPIRB is an emergency beacon which calls out the troops when activated (capsized). I do plan on going out for albacore which could be 40 miles out plus. As Wing mentioned upgrading minimum standards for Coast Guard a good idea. They are more guidelines and compliance. It comes down to your use. Going out for a local cruise with boaters around you vs. 40 miles out in saltwater would have different standards.

Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 4:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,973,705 unique visits