View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
boat Cover
Reel Easy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/14 - 6:11 AM

Comments: 1

Might anyone know where to find a trailoring full cover for a 1974 Outrage 21 with twins? My quess is that they are custom but thought I would inquire.

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/14 - 7:16 AM

Comments: 0

Try Carver first. Go to the web site for the toll free number and ask. The web site selector may not be complete, www.carvercovers.com

Butch

VA Whaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/14 - 9:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks for posting this question, Reel and the answer Butch. We have a 1983 GTX 18 I/O and it has needed a full cover for about the past 31 years. It lives in a boat house where the western sun just pummels the gelcoat in the summer. During the winter I will cover it with a Rube Goldberg tarp and it helps to keep the dust and bird crap off but it is a pain to set up and remove. I think its time to bite the bullet and invest in a proper cover for her before she's winterized.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/14 - 4:56 PM

Comments: 16

I believe the only place you will find a fitted cover for a 21 Smoothside is Mills. Contact Bob Mills and see if they make one specifically for the Smoothside.

In 2004, Mills designed a cover for the 21 Ribside using my boat as a pattern, since back in 1971-1979 when these 21's were being built, Whaler never ordered a cover design. I believe the same cover that fits the Ribside will work on the Smoothside, with alterations at the stern. I do not know whether Mills has ever sold a mooring cover for a Smoothside. But the one he did for the Ribsides is excellent.

You can see it here, and any cover for a Smoothside would be very similar, since basic hull lines and bow rail configuration are identical.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...3102644227

Expect it to cost about $1200.

I do not trail mine with cover on, since I believe it puts too much stress on the cover and boat. My cover is only used for trailer storage as shown in the photo, although it could be used for a moored/docked boat also.

Mills covers are not affected by either single or twin engine installations. My Ribside now has twins, but when the cover was designed and patterned, it had a single.

Edited by Finnegan on 09/25/14 - 5:00 PM

Reel Easy
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/14 - 7:57 AM

Finnegan: Thanks much for your input. I did reach out to Mills and they indicated they made nothing for the Classic Outrage 21 of the 70's. I always appreciate getting your photos as they are an inspiration as to what is possible in classic restoration. Your work is amazing. Although I truly appreciate original restorations, my projects are much more "one and done" which will require little or no maintenance in the future. Thanks again.

EJO
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/14 - 12:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I bought my full trailering cover through iBoats and I'm very happy with its fit.
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Boston_W...=022314205
The price was right too. It might not be special custom/custom made but it only has a little slack on the bow side of the front railing.
Pick your model and answer the options questions. I recommend this to anybody. Quick and sunbrella is sunbrella although they have other material options.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Reel Easy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/14 - 7:22 AM

EJO: Thanks for your thoughts but they don't offer a cover for the antique Outrage.

ritzyrags
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/14 - 1:34 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

This question has come and gone often enough for prompting me to give my two cents.
Taking it by the numbers,I can state that in reality the Classic Outrages/Revenges or Montauks of the Seventies were at the time of issue delivered (for the most part) without a boat cover option from the great Whaler plant.
To have a boat cover for your Classic Whaler was and is to be a "custom" order such as
https://www.boatcovers.com/
Now the personal point to be made here will reside in several details
Quality and type of cloth materials will be important enough to give along the years self congrats or everlasting regrets.
Color,a huge factor will always be carefully picked.
Fastening to the structures will demand careful consideration.
I, for one cringe at the idea of countless drilled holes stoppered with male snap parts.
A tightly laced up option will be seen as a viable choice.
Over all structure as in tightly stretched over console or a console custom fitted allowance will be considered.
Fitted to the gunwale or over part of the hull is another choice to be considered.
All in all,your Classic should be contracted out to the "Tailor" and custom fitted with the "tux" of your preference.
Hope that this input has helped you in a small way.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 2:50 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,987,333 unique visits