View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
21 Outrage 1975 Banana boat questions?
cncwhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/14 - 1:17 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have a 1975 21 Outrage that I am starting on. Needs a lot of love. Couple of questions?

1. There is a drain in the deck just aft of the fwd compartment. Where does this go? Picture on PP

2. What are the circles that are molded into the deck? Pic on PP

3. I will take the cap off so I can flip the hull and remove the bottom paint, and fix damage to the cap. I can not find the seam where the cap meets the hull in the stern. Does it have to be cut? I imagine the guys with the low pro's have an idea. Thanks!

kmev
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/14 - 7:14 PM

1. It drains into the rigging tunnel and it very useful. The earlier boats didn't have this drain, and water always accumulated on the forward deck (from dive gear, swimming, etc.) until you got on plane.

2. Spru marks from the manufacturing process.

3. Don't know where the seam is on the transom, but I recall someone posting years ago that repairs are best done with the cap on, on the 21.

cncwhaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/14 - 8:02 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the info. Just starting the project with a good cleaning today. There is years of dirt in the drain tube in the bow. Looks like you get around all over with your 21! I am sure I will have some more questions as they come up.

Does your boat have the original fuel tank? The previous owner installed a fuel tank above the deck. Just interested to see if anyone has figured out how to add some to the capacity?

On another note. The admiral likes the Spotted Cow Beer when she travels to Madison WI! Never had it but I hear its good!

tom blinstrub
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/14 - 2:45 AM
Personal Page

The cap is cemented to the lower half at the transom. Leave it be.

kmev
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/14 - 6:44 AM

Every once in a while I run a water hose in the forward drain to help clean it. It does accumulate a lot of dirt, but I much prefer it over the 1973 I ran that did not have the forward drain.

Other than sitting out side and being neglected, your hull doesn't look that bad. Coincidentally, my boat had the same damage to the port quarter as yours - it had been repaired (somewhat poorly), and someday will get a proper repair but I am in no rush. If your only major damage is the port quarter and that small hole on the starboard side, don't remove the cap for repairs. Neither of those holes are in a critical structural area, both areas are fiberglass only with no wood, and both are accessible from the back side.

I replaced my in-deck fuel tank in 2011 as it was leaking badly. Florida Marine Tanks in located somewhere in North Carolina, so you may get lucky and not have to incur much shipping cost. With my Honda 150, 40 gallons gives me a 200 mile range, which is plenty for me. If you do require more fuel, there were optional saddle tanks that went under each gunwale that added (I believe) another 40 gallons. There was a gentlemen on the other Whaler site that had a set for sale about a month ago (Michigan, I believe). If I ever needed additional fuel, I would add the Montauk on-deck fuel tank under the RPS that you already have to increase my fuel capacity.

The fabric liner on the inside of the cap? You really have no choice but to tear it out. The previous owner painted the inside of the cap white on mine, and I like it.

I lived north of you in Greenville about 15 years ago. I like Wisconsin so much better for many reasons (including the fantastic beer).

Reel Easy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/14 - 9:36 AM

Comments: 1

CNC: Congrats on your new Outrage and best of luck with the restoration. With respect to your question about adding fuel capacity, my 1974 Outrage 21 came with saddle tanks. These tanks are 15 gallon tanks that fit under the gunwales in the aft portion of the boat. I believe Boston Whaler offered saddle tanks as optional equipment on the Rib Side models but not sure about Smooth Side offerings. I am not using these tanks and would sell them to you. You would need to install fuel filler hardware on your gunwales for these tanks. Let me know if you have interest.

cncwhaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/14 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page

Reel Easy,

Thanks for the offer. I am going to hold off right now until I know exactly what I have when I remove the helm and get into the fuel tank. I am afraid I have gone overboard on my 15 sport restoration and need to watch my pennies right now.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 18, 2024 - 10:40 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,970,412 unique visits