View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Foaming fuel tank in 1973 21ft Outrage
Radlax23
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/14 - 3:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am replacing my belly fuel tank in 1973 outrage 21ft. The tank is being fabricated by local company (thanks to the drawings provided by whaler central). The company is telling me not to foam in the tank. They say I should create a drainage tube into the bilge area or install a bilge pump in the compartment. They told me the Coast Guard recommends not to use foam or the rubber mats that were previously there. There is no way I can make the take compartment water tight so I am leaning towards no foam. Any thoughts regarding this subject from members would be appreciated

1973 21 ft Boston Whaler Outrage

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/14 - 4:05 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The fabricator is giving you good advice. While foaming in was the best practice, it is not anymore.

One benefit to foaming in is keeping the tank secure. If you are overly concerned the tank is not secure with the OEM straps, you can either foam just the corners or use strips of composite.

Several veteran members have mounted bilge hose (with a screen on the end) to the rear wall of the cavity and then ran it aft. It was connected to a manual pump when desired.

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/14 - 4:57 PM

Comments: 0

The layout in my 1979 22' Revenge has the fuel tank chamber, a guessed at 7" wide wall to the fish locker chamber, then a 9" wide wall to the splash well. I just installed a brass drain tube (none previously there) from the fish locker to the splash well. If I ever remove the fuel tank, I would install a brass drain tube from the fuel chamber to the fish locker. Then they would all be interconnected with an accessible bilge pump for water removal. I do a lot of drainage in my work and prefer gravity as my friend. I only use pumps and hose pick ups when absolutely the only method available. I do currently have a small hose with a screen that Phil mentions snaked through the fuel line tube. The same company (Beckson) that makes the Whaler deck access plates also carries a line of hand sumps/manual bilge pumps.

Garris

tom blinstrub
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/14 - 5:45 AM
Personal Page

I have a Old Outrage 21 with an empty tank cavity. I used a very long drill bit and went in through the drain hole in the transom and drilled a hole into the tank cavity so now the tank cavity drains into the rear sump. End of water in the tank cavity problem. I glued a small PVC pipe inside the hole that I drilled to make sure the foam in the hull dosen't get wet. The drain is also on the bottom to the tank cavity so when Im running I don't think there is even a gallon of water in there.

bcoastal
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/14 - 11:55 AM

I supported my tank with neoprene strips and foamed the sides and front. The back area is without foam but used a couple brackets. No foam in the back allows me to sponge out any water that gets in there. A drain plug would be good if you do not have room or access to sponge out the water.

swebre
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/14 - 7:02 PM
Personal Page

Folks, agree that foaming in may not be the ideal solution, but the tank in our 21 ft Revenge I bought last year only lasted 36 years, in salt water use, surrounded by saturated foam without leaking. Might be a rare exception, but I doubt it after talking with others. Top straps were severely corroded and had to be remade with the tank. I did have the tank remade with a bit heavier material, but remounted it in like the original. Figured I'd check it in another 20 years...if I make it. Check out my personal page for details.

There is a real tendency by most of us to "improve" everything we touch on our treasures. I am guilty more than most. However, after reading everything I could find on the subject, I felt I was worrying about something that really was fine for the mission. If it only last another 20 years, that will be OK.

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/01/14 - 7:45 AM

Swebre,
Beautiful job on your boat. I see through your pictures that the fuel tank chamber is directly fore of the splash well. My 1979 22' Revenge has a fish locker chamber between the 2. My fuel tank is plastic. What was good 35 years ago may have been found to need improving. I take note and comply as best I can any "...Coast Guard recommendations...". When the access is there (like yourself) I do the most possible. A fuel tank immersed water just somehow seems innately wrong to me. Personal choices on which changes to make.

Off the subject. I repeat that your boat is a beauty. I always loved the look of that hull. I went with the very next years Revenge model for the ladies needs with the comforts of the full cuddy cabin.

Garris

Edited by gchuba on 09/01/14 - 7:47 AM

swebre
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/01/14 - 9:07 AM
Personal Page

Hey Garris,

Completely agree. Like most things we tackle, many of the hundreds of decisions on a project like this comes down to personal preferences and experience. However, the goal we all have is to end up with a solid boat that we can enjoy for many years without worry. :)

And Thanks for the compliments on our project. Took her out yesterday and had to smile w/ all the folks looking at her both on and off the trailer.

Now if she just had a bit more Vee...

Smooth seas!

-Steve-

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 11:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,705,819 unique visits