View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow light wires shorted 2003 Sport 130
d5884930
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 3:49 PM

Comments: 0

Bow light wires shorted 2003 Sport 130
Was blowing fuses, traced it to my bow light wires going through the hull. Looks like they built the boat around the bow light wires, I pulled some, there is no conduit, looks like they are foamed in? Guessing I have to rum a new wire through the rub rail? Any thoughts? Thanks Dave

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 7:57 PM

Check the continuity of the wires. Just for fun, set up the continuity tester for the positive/hot on one end and the negative on the other to see if they are truly rubbing/crossed in the inaccessible area. I would think it rare to have crossed/grounding wires in the rub rail itself. Check the accessible areas for potential villains (switch, fixture, etc...).

Garris

d5884930
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 4:55 AM

Its an intermittent short, I did measure it shorted with my volt meter, then later it was not shorted. The original wires go through the hull to the bow, I have spent hours trying to figure this out.

Whalerbob
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/14 - 1:44 PM
Personal Page

On my old 13, every time I had to re wire the bow lights the wire got shorter so eventually I had to splice in an extension, maybe you have my old boat? It's not an easy job but the only way to get at those wires is to remove the rub rail... that would be the last resort but if so you'll want to search WC for the article that explains the process. You probably only need to pull it out half way so maybe not so bad.

vagent
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/19 - 6:29 PM

I realize this is an old thread but I don't see an end other than "go through the rub rail" I'm having the same issue with a 2005 Sport 130. Blows fuse when I turn on the Nav lights. Troubleshooting indicates a short on the wire(s) to the bow light. I can successfully light the Anchor light with switch out of the picture but connection to the
bow light causes the fuse to continue to blow. Disassemble the bow light and can see all the connections--nothing there appears to be causing a short. So it must be something prior to that ? ? ? ?

Will continue my trouble shooting meanwhile has anyone else come up with another approach.? And, how do you go through the rub rail to do this--can't find that searching the forum.

Thanks in advance,

Vagent

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/19 - 7:59 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Vagent -

To run a new set of wires:

The rubrail is two parts. A "reciever" that is riveted or screwed into the gunnel edge and a black "insert" that has grooves that accept two slots from the insert.

You want to remove just the insert on one side (side with the battery) from the stern all the way to the light. Start at the stern and remove the end cap or screw. Use a plastic putty knife or screwdriver wrapped in tape (to prevent damaging the gelcoat) and pry the insert out. With your hands, pull it firmly away a little bit at a time.

You will find that marine speaker wire (not regular speaker wire) has the proper size and rating to fit inside the gap between the rubrail receiver and the insert.

Edited by Phil T on 09/14/19 - 8:00 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

vagent
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/19 - 9:32 AM

Hi Phil T,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Boated many years, many boats, large and small--my first Whaler. Not the best maintained in the past but I'm enjoying making it "better".

Was hoping to fix the bow light without having to do the rub-rail thing, but if I must. I've looked at some other posts regarding the "rub rail". Interesting part is that I can disassemble the bow light and nothing is shorted in it--all contacts are clearly 'examanible'. Surprising that the short would be somewhere in the wire in the rub rail. I'm going to first work within the console and wiring harness to see if I can find the culprit there. The fuse in the wiring when I received it was a 3 amp. The wiring diagram I have indicates a 5 amp. I have placed a 4 amp in the fuse holder and it too blows.

Appreciate you feedback and any other that might help. I'm out of town for a week so might not be responding to see how things are going for a week or so. Also interesting to see you found your boat in Norfolk VA--I live in Hampton, just across the tunnel from Norfolk (I reviewed your projects--good work)

Vagent

Phil T
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/19 - 10:02 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

V -

Before embarking on a re-wire, I would:

replace bulb
clean fixture contacts
Examine wire in stern to the battey.

Examine wire end fitting which connects to the switch. If possible, cut off and re-crimp new connector.

Clean (fine sandpaper) switch contacts.

Verify it is the bow light that is the culprit and not the all around light. Disconnect all-around light from switch and test bow light.

Any other permutations you can think of. Easier than rewire.

Aside- The story of how I found my first Outrage 17 is interesting. I found my 2nd and current Outrage 17, a bit farther south, outside Danville. VA

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

vagent
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/19 - 10:28 AM

Phil T

Again thanks for the prompt reply. I agree one of the last things I want to do is go into that rub rail. Will continue to troubleshoot when I return.

Aside--I grew up in Chatham VA, some 17 miles North of Danville VA where you found your second Outrage--the 6-degrees gets narrower and narrower.

Vagent

vagent
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/19 - 7:04 PM

Update. After dreading going through the bow rail to troubleshoot the navigation light, I was pleasantly surprised. Found that all one has to do is remove the molded end of the bow rail on the stbd side then pull the round tubular shaped portion of the bow rail from the portion screwed to the hull and one easily gets at the wiring in the bow rail. Seems like a previous owner installed a cover and put the snap-on connectors in the bow rail. One of the screws went right through the wiring and shorted the wires together. Problem solved! Repaired the wiring, poked the round portion of the bow rail in place, and replaced the molded end of the bow rail.

It was one of the easier maintenance actions I've taken on a boat :-)

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 1:42 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,045,246 unique visits