View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 Montauk marine antenna mounting location?
darrenmolder
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/14 - 6:44 PM

Comments: 0

I want to mount my antenna on the gunwhale near the stern as recommended in my owners manual and have purchased the heavy duty stainless Shakespear rathchet mount which is fairly heavy. I will be using lag screws but am not sure if there is any plywood or anything beneath the glass to support the lags? My concern is with the weight of the mount the fiberglass might not have the strength to hold the bouncing & weight of the mount and the four foot Galaxy antenna. Thanks.

wing15601
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/14 - 7:34 PM

It's always best to get the antenna as high as possible and of course an 8 foot antenna gives more height than a 4 foot. I would think that with time the screws used to secure the antenna in an area with no wood will eventually pull free. An 8 foot antenna whipping around will cause that to happen sooner. There are stainless steel ratchet mounts made for rail mounting and the console rail would offer a secure site and give more height than the gunnel. If you have a Bimini you may be able to use a 4 foot antenna that will clear the top. you could also mount it to the side of the console and would have access inside the console for a substantial backing plate.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

aeriksen
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/14 - 9:38 PM

If you mount the antenna to the side of the consul you can use through bolts instead of lag bolts, I mounted mine on the starboard side of the consul towards the bottom. 1980 17' Montauk.

Whalerbob
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 4:14 AM
Personal Page

The original owner of my Montauk mounted a 7' or 8' fiberglass antenna on the starboard side of my console near the floor and toward the bow. It worked okay but it interfered with the bimini and was in the way getting around the console. After I broke it baking into the garage.... I replaced it with a stainless whip style that I installed on the crook of the console rail. I get the same our better performance, doesn't interfere with anything (rods, canvass, etc), easy wire run, and it's practically indestructible. I highly recommend it.

A guide in FL showed me a trick I thought was interesting. Since he runs the back country out of range on his skiff he leaves his antenna cable long so if he's in a jam and out of range he can unscrew the antenna from the base and tape it to his push pole to get more height /range. I've never had the need to test it but I set mine up that way as well, just in case.

Whalerbob
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 4:18 AM
Personal Page

Ps, now when I use the bimini I just angle the antenna a little towards the stern so the tip barely touches the bimini, not in the way of anything and I can't notice any difference in performance.

EJO
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 9:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Research antennae tests as there is a lot of difference in antennae technology. I was getting better performance with my 8' Shakespeare fiberglass antenna on my cabin cruiser (18 to 19' above water level) than I was getting from my SS whip antenna 43' above water level on my sailboat using the same model Horizon VHF radio.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Whalerbob
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 9:45 AM
Personal Page

That's interesting because I think I get better performance with the SS whip and both were installed roughly the same elevation but when I made the change I re did everything so there could be other factors. It's been several years but I seem to recall trying a smaller fiberglass antenna on the crook as but someone hit it casing a plug and cracked it. As I said, the stainless whip is nearly indestructible and for me performance is comparable and the crook installation works well.

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 2:05 PM

Comments: 16

For a Montauk, there are only two feasible locations to mount an antenna - on the console, or using a rail mount ratchet to place it on the stern stantion of the side rails, on the same side of the boat as the engine cables.

The console mount is OK and convenient for running the cable, but no good if you are using canvas.

I think the stern rail mount solution is the best - no holes in boat, and the antenna wire can be run in the boat tunnel and bundled up with the other wiring so it doesn't show.

In my case, where I have the full Flying Top canvas system, I elected to avoid an antenna altogether and use a high quality hand held.

darrenmolder
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/14 - 11:32 PM

thank you all for the input. after digging through the paperwork I received from the original owner I found that I actually have the build sheet & blueprint of my boat from Boston Whaler showing all the locations & dimensions where the plywood is actually installed which does exist in the gun whales and elsewhere in the boat. I also have the original owners manual which advises against using the center console for mounting the antenna. It was my belief that everyone on this site had all that info thus my question of where's the plywood to dig into? If by any means anyone wants this blueprint and doesn't have it I would surely provide it. I showed it to my restoration shop which I have listed previously & he immediately solved the issue. Thanks!

wing15601
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 6:07 AM

I would be interested in seeing that drawing showing plywood in the gunnels of your whaler. A download from this site showing the location of wood in the 17 Montauk shows no wood there suitable for attaching an antenna base. Maybe you have the same drawing. If the wood you are referring to is designated by a letter, what is the letter?

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Whalerbob
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 10:45 AM
Personal Page

Finnegan wrote:
In my case, where I have the full Flying Top canvas system, I elected to avoid an antenna altogether and use a high quality hand held.

Hand held VHF's are a joke, ok for a back up at best.

The problem with mounting the antenna anywhere but on the console, especial off you fish, is it will be in the way and if it's fiberglass it probably eventually beak. I broke two before I switched, live and learn I suppose.

I think the reason for the performance difference I experienced, on amy Montauk, is an 8' antenna mounted near the floor has more things to interfere with it than the whip which is mounted higher above the obstructions.

Edited by Whalerbob on 08/28/14 - 10:58 AM

Joe Kriz
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 11:03 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I mounted my antennas on the Shepard crook on my Montauk and Outrages.
Didn't bother most of my canvas as you can see the photo with the flying top up.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrag...trage.html

When the rest of the canvas was up, the antenna angled back and up and was still out of the way for me.

Whalerbob
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 11:40 AM
Personal Page

Here's a pic with the Mills Console Cover and one from the lake last week. I also have a full Mills Bimini but as long as I angle the antenna at about 45 degrees forward or back while the Bimini is up it's not in the way of anything.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w...wztzqq.jpg

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w...tsjcn1.jpg

DennisVollrath
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/14 - 1:47 PM
Personal Page

I have my antenna mounted on the transom opposite the stern light pole. The cable is routed through the tunnel and bundled with the other rigging until it reaches the motor, where it runs solo to the mount. The antenna is a SS whip mounted on a 4' extension, which gets it well above the motor, console, and me. There is a cutout in my Mills mooring cover on each side, with the stern light passing through one and the antenna mast through the other.

I chose the transom mounted location so it wouldn't interfere with my canvas (bow dodger, windscreen, and flying top in addition to mooring cover). There is full thickness wood, and the lag bolts get very good bite. The base is a 2 axis swivel type, and can fold on the deck or against the gunwale to get it out of the way.

It works great for me. One other mount location to consider.

Dennis

1985 Outrage 18 with Suzuki DF140A

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 3:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,039,099 unique visits