View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Fuel Vent Leaking Fuel
lost sailor
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 10:10 AM

Comments: 0

Hey everybody, I went home for lunch and was just looking at the boat when I noticed fuel leaking from the vent. I opened the gas cap and relieved quite a bit of pressure so I'm wondering if there was maybe some kind of vapor lock or something? Has this happened to anyone else before and any idea to what caused it? I put 15g of fuel in yesterday as usual, went and had her out for about an hour, rinsed and flushed as usual and that was it.

It was kinda humid yesterday and I beat a squall home (just finished up flushing when the bottom dropped out) but I don't think the change of atmospheric pressure would have anything to do with it. There's what looks like a fuel filter or something between the tank and the vent, is that supposed to act as a check valve or something? The only other thing I can think of is if some rainwater got in the tank and caused some pressure but I'm pretty sure the cap was tight. I know the fuel water separator is on the other side but it was replaced right before I bought it. Pardon my ignorance but this is something I have very little experience with. Thanks.

Sorry for sideways pics, photobucket is acting all stupid. I changed the orientation but it didn't apply...
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...ervent.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...rvent2.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...thatch.jpg

1990 Outrage 17 I - 1990 Evinrude 120

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 10:39 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Dan -

For everyone's information, you have a 1990 Outrage 17 I. This particular model year had a very different arrangement for the fuel tank and rear splashwell/insert.

Your boat uses an "open vented" fuel system. For fuel to be exiting the vent, there is a blockage. Somewhere.

looks like a fuel filter or something between the tank and the vent,
This is NOT correct. There should not be anything between the vent and the tank. Can you post a clear photo?

Since the boat is somewhat new to you are the fill and vent hoses (1 1/2 inch diameter) original? They should have a red stripe and a year stamped. Do they say "alcohol resistant"? Is the fuel supply to the motor light grey? If so, I would replace. This will prevent hose degradation due to the ethanol blended fuel.

Edited by Phil T on 08/07/14 - 10:45 AM

lost sailor
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 10:57 AM

Phil- Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a better pic when I get home from work. The pic I posted shows it, but not in great detail.

Since the boat is somewhat new to you are the fill and vent hoses (1 1/2 inch diameter) original? They should have a red stripe and a year stamped. Do they say "alcohol resistant"?

It does look like 1 1/2" diameter but they are all black and I never noticed a red stripe. I'll definitely double check & try to get some better pics.

On a side note, would putting Stabil in the tank help with the Ethanol problem? It was suggested to me to use even when using the boat regularly not just for storage purposes. I definitely wanted some feedback before just doing it.

One thing I failed to mention, I had used the aux tank the last time I used it so the 1st few times I cranked over I was on the wrong tank. I switched to the main tank, turned over a few times, hit the primer bulb 3 times and she fired right up. Once again, not sure if that had anything to do with it...

Edited by lost sailor on 08/07/14 - 11:02 AM

dougt
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 11:21 AM
Personal Page

The mechanics at my Johnson Dealership just told me to use stabil in every tank of gas. Said everything except my car I should use it. Lawnmower, etc.

FYI,
Doug

1996 Sport GLS 13' - 1996 Johnson 40hp, 2 Stroke

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 11:45 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Stabil helps with wager from evaporation. As a result, it reduces the risk the blended fuel will go through phase separation.

Only vented gasoline fuel systems have the risk of ethanol blended fuel phase separating.

While I used Stabil in every tank in the last year or two, I had a 4 stroke, a 34 gallon tank and used barely a tank a season. I would use a fuel conditioner only if the fuel will sit un-used for at least 4 weeks.

Edited by Phil T on 08/07/14 - 11:46 AM

Gmondun
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 1:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Lost sailor,

Any chance you over filled your fuel tank? I have a different fuel tank setup than you on my Montauk 17, but anytime I over fill the tank the gasoline expands and leaks out the vent holes. Also, the hotter the day the more the gasoline expands.

Gordon

lost sailor
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 2:10 PM

Gordon, I really doubt it unless I've completly underestimated the fuel consumption. I was told the fuel gauge was inaccurate so I never trusted it.

Upon further inspection, it is a fuel air separator that is plumbed in between the tank & vent. I'll post some pics in a few. Also, it's 5/8 hose for the vent & 1/4 for all the fuel lines aux & main.

Silentpardner
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 6:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

It seems to me that maybe that fuel/air separator in the vent line is the problem. Does it have an element that can be replaced? If it does, replace it immediately or remove it. There should not be any positive pressure on your fuel system. All pressure from fuel expansion should be getting vented through the vent system. If you remove the fuel filler cap and pressure vents, you have a problem with restriction or complete plugging of the fuel system vent. It needs to be addressed and corrected immediately for safety reasons.

Edited by Silentpardner on 08/07/14 - 6:37 PM

gchuba
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 6:43 PM

I just removed and replaced my fuel filler and vent lines in a 1979 22' Revenge. There is a loop in the vent and if fuel gets in the bottom of the loop it defeats the purpose. Take off your fuel filler cap and blow air through the vent and see if it clears up the system.

Garris

Silentpardner
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 7:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My fuel tanks get filled routinely at the marina I use. They are overfilled from time to time and liquid fuel is actually expelled from the vent line occasionally when the tanks are filled to fast. I have never experienced any positive pressure at the filler cap or lack of venting after this occurred. Liquid fuel evaporates very quickly with heat from outdoor ambient temperatures.

Edited by Silentpardner on 08/07/14 - 7:08 PM

lost sailor
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 4:46 AM

Thanks so much for all the input, here's the pics I said I would post so you have a good idea of what's going on. So here is the fuel/air separator and the lines going to the vent:

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...arator.jpg
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...nthose.jpg

Here is the link to the actual part:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?...;id=133911

It says that it needs to be 60 degrees of vertical & I think that's my problem.

This is what the fuel lines & tee look like with the water fuel separator:
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...lspply.jpg
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...arator.jpg

Phil T
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 5:29 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

The plumbing of the fuel lines is very different for the 1990 model compared to the 1991-1995.

To me, it is the overspill protector that is a problem. It is just a glorified check valve. It needs to be slightly vertical to keep the ball covering the hose.

This is the first time I have seen one of these in a Boston Whaler so I suspect it was installed by a former owner who overfilled the fuel tank and a marine installed it as a "fix".

I would consider removing it and adding a loop in the vent hose.

What exactly is the brass looking manifold next to the battery selector? What hoses is it feeding and where is it mounted? Not the best location (next to electrical switch).

Please replace the zip tie on the hose leading from the separator. Replace with a stainless steel clamp.

Edited by Phil T on 08/08/14 - 5:33 AM

lost sailor
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 5:48 AM

What exactly is the brass looking manifold next to the battery selector? What hoses is it feeding and where is it mounted? Not the best location (next to electrical switch).

That is the fuel main/aux selector. It is mounted directly across from the vent in the splashwell. I have a fuel line that runs under the bulkhead thru the tunnel and comes up near the bilge access for the aux or external tank.

I'll definitely replace the zip tie when I do a thorough cleaning of the bilge this weekend. I had no idea it was that filthy down there.

lost sailor
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/14 - 7:55 AM

In case anyone was curious as to how the aux fuel line was run, here are some pics...

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...uxline.jpg

And here is the fuel selector:
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...ector2.jpg
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac...lector.jpg

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 2:49 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,063,864 unique visits