View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hit List for Inspecting a 1986 25" Outrage Cuddy
maskinut
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/14 - 11:27 PM

Comments: 0

Hi Everyone, Great forum here. I'm a longtime Grady and Shamrock boater but I am looking at picking up a 1986 25' Outrage. The last owners has had it for 20 years and seems ot have only gotten it in the water once or twice a summer. I'm going to inspect it on Friday and figured I'd seek some of the advice from this group as I make my list. The engine has a documented rebuild from this month so I won't spend too much time here on that part. But, about the hull.

Here is my list so far. Some of this came from running a search on here.

Wavy lines on the hull and sound feel of any "wavy" spots
Dimples under the rollers on the trailer.
Cracks in the Gelcoat, especially arounf the transom
Soft sports on the deck
Cracks around the console/deck
Fuel tank status.
The boat has almost no electronics so there wont be a lot to look at in that regard.

Depending on my inspection I may call in a surveyor.

I'd also be curious if anyone has an thoughts on the following as well:

Where are the key spots in the bilge/one the hull to investigate?

This is a center console with Cuddy. There is not hardtop. Has anyone added a hardtop or station to these models?

Has anyone on here added a lean tower and removed the swivel seats?

It runs a 250 Merc. I wish it were more. Anyone got any performance numbers on this setup? I've seen 25's with twin 200's and that looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks in advance!

saumon
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 1:01 AM
Personal Page

Most complete checklist you'll ever find:
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...?cat_id=15

from board member Jeff (http://www.whalercentral.com/profile....?lookup=35)

1991 Outrage 17' I - 2005 E-Tec 90hp

HRBertram
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/14 - 4:33 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 1

I have a 1982 notched transom 25 Cuddy with a 2012 300 Etec.

If the boat has been kept for any significant amount of time in the water, check the condition of the fiberglass in the small drain well in the center of the splash well. It stays full of sea water and could have a blistering problem.

If water has been allowed to accumulate and sit in the cabin bilge well, check it for blistering, both the well, and the shelves on each side.

The 300 Etec produces a top speed of about 46 with a 17 Rebel or 18 Mirage. The engine planes the boat easily, I push the throttle to 35% (Icon Gauge reading) and reach plane with very little bow rise. I installed Lenco trim tabs, but only use them to run higher speeds in rough head seas.

A week spot in this hull is the area near the fuel vents midship, the hull thins down in this area on both sides of the hull, it's very rare, but the boats will crack here if abused. Look for signs of repairs or cracks.

Good Luck, Harry

donp
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 4:52 AM

A week spot in this hull is the area near the fuel vents midship, the hull thins down in this area on both sides of the hull, it's very rare, but the boats will crack here if abused. Look for signs of repairs or cracks.

I have search this site for this very same thing and came up empty handed. Does anyone have information on this?

maskinut
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Great tips. I'm down in so cal today to check it out and quite jealous of the boating weather they have here compared to SF Bay. Will report back on what I find.

maskinut
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 5:11 PM

Well that was interesting. Turns out it wasn't a 25'er. It was a 22' Outrage with a bracket that measured out to about 25' That changed the discussion a bit as I prefered the 25. I probably wouldn't have driven down if I knew it was a 22.

The boat looked pretty good. No major cracks and spidering anywhere. Generally it looks to have been kept in pretty good shape. The 225 rebuilt merc fired right up and settled into an idle pretty easily. I didn't bother firing up the kicker motor. I wasn't super interested in the 22 so I pretty much walked. As I was leaving the seller threw out $12,500. I'm semi interested but for me to do an impulse buy on a boat I wasn't looking for it needed to be better than that.

Curious what you guys think.. This boat is would be in my slip until I can find the right hull for a different project I have in mind so I want to be able to sell it pretty easily if I need to make space in my slip.

The only other things that I wondered about was some waves on the sides. I hit them and they rang out pretty solid. N soft sports but it does look like some shape changing on the 1986 hull. Anyone have thoughts on the wavy hull?

I put some pics up here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hsebpc6yzm...zOk7Cp6Jda

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 5:28 PM

I cannot make out the "waves" in your pictures. I have a couple of what I would call "indents" by my stern on a 1979 22' Revenge. Tom Clark described to me that they were from the foam shrinking a bit that pulled in the form a little as it dried when built. An aesthetic issue not structural most of the time. That may be what you are looking at from your description. Kinda looks like a dolphin bumped the boat.

Garris

maskinut
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/14 - 6:25 PM

that description makes sense. They were solid and didn't sound to be structurally. Perhaps a dolphin! Could also be a hard knock on a piling. Thats the type of shape.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 5:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,702,619 unique visits