View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Incorrect capacity plate data?
GPJ
#21 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 9:24 AM

Comments: 0

gchuba wrote:
GPJ, any chance you may keep the plate as true factory original? 4 plates for that year, who knows which was with your hull. Especially when the archivist used for references (with factory records) is the one supplying the product. I have had some old tractors with mismatching I.D. information. I believe those old boys would have a stack of plates, use them up regardless of a particular change on the assembly line, and send them on there way. Adds character to the era.

Garris

I used to collect/restore old IH Cub Cadet lawn tractors built right here in Louisville. If your serial number placed you at the beginning of a model year, you might have parts that you swore did not belong on your tractor. Back in the day nothing went to waste, and the guys on the line were a lot less obsessive than we have become!

After lunch I am going to phone Boston Whaler and ask them if they can tell me what plate probably went with my hull. In lieu of that, I will probably just stick with the sticker I have in hand.

Thanks for your insight, Garris.

gchuba
#22 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 9:59 AM

GPJ, your lucky you only have the plate issue. My 22' 1979 Revenge is the first full cuddy slapped on an Outrage hull. Unfortunately, the gas tank deck cover was designed for the CC and the cuddy covers a line of screws holding the deck in place. Annoying, but I love the fact that my boat was one of the first in line with an innovation.

Garris

I was an OC 3/HG Oliver man. Helped with one Cub Cadet, very cute tractor.

Edited by gchuba on 08/01/14 - 10:02 AM

Joe Kriz
#23 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 11:17 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Point is, don't look at the plates on this site as gospel, they're not...

True. but they are correct for the year(s) they fit.
Like you mention, there are many different plates and we try to show the correct ones that members send us.
We don't know the years and we leave that up to you.

If anyone notices the rivets on some are photos taken right from the boat and others are drawings taken from those originals for those years.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...album_id=1

These are for reference and match what I had on my Whalers and in no way try to say these are good for all years.
Other years and models may vary.
I just added the Outrage 17' I and Outrage 17' II even though both of these just say they are for the 17' Outrage. Persons, capacities, etc. are different for both of these models I and II.
The Outrage I is from 1990 and the Outrage II is from a 1996 year model.
My 1997 had the same as far as I remember.
And now someone comes up with a 1999 17' Outrage III which no one can figure out including Boston Whaler.

Glad you have to keep these plates figured out and not me.
Keep up the good work.

Marc-B
#24 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 11:43 AM

Joe,

Is it of value that I send you a picture of the plate on my 1979 Newport 17 commercial hull.

Regards,

Marc

Joe Kriz
#25 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 12:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Marc.

Sure. I try and save all photos.
Can't guarantee I will post them as there are too many capacity plates as you know from reading this thread.

GPJ
#26 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 3:44 PM

gchuba wrote:
GPJ, your lucky you only have the plate issue. My 22' 1979 Revenge is the first full cuddy slapped on an Outrage hull. Unfortunately, the gas tank deck cover was designed for the CC and the cuddy covers a line of screws holding the deck in place. Annoying, but I love the fact that my boat was one of the first in line with an innovation.

Garris

I was an OC 3/HG Oliver man. Helped with one Cub Cadet, very cute tractor.

Garris - That's a amazing story about your Revenge. I happen to be an engineer by trade, and sometimes production deadlines take precedence over maintainability! Hopefully that moved that parting line for the following year's production. Have you posted a photo of your boat? I'd love to see it. I'm afraid my only distinction is the Montauk with the worst owner paint job in history!

Olivers... aren't those the OTHER green tractors? There were a few of the wheeled tractors still being worked in Central Ohio when I was a teenager. I was born in Eastern Kentucky, and there were a few of the crawlers around. They were prized for their stability and ability to pull a plow up a steep slope. Restoring one - and running it - must have been a blast! Olivers and IH Cub Cadets have a lot in common: Iron and steel American icons that will outlive their designers and original owners. I still mow our yard with a 1965 Cub Cadet 100. The 10 hp Kohler still runs like new. In many ways a classic BW is a seagoing Cub Cadet... or vice versa!

GPJ
#27 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 4:05 PM

I spoke with Tom at Magic Brush this afternoon about the capacity plate. I am going to replace the sticker with a metal version of the 16'7" metal plate. I believe it will have the text Weatherly posted. I ordered it without the rivet holes. Rather than adding four extra holes to the hull, I am going to use double-sided tape to hold it in place.

Despite my begging him to at least cover his costs on the replacement capacity plate, Tom would hear nothing of it. He insisted on supplying the new plate gratis. He is even going to supply the double-sided tape! Folks, that's customer service.

I also chatted with Tom for some time about classic Boston Whalers and his career in the marine industry (I'm think it was his lunch hour: hear that, Janis?). He had some GREAT stories about the old days at BW and the Brunswick transition. This man was chief draftsman for BW. The boats we obsess over bear his indelible imprint. Heck, he met his wife in Whaler! In addition to Whaler, he worked for Newport News shipbuilding on nuclear submarines and carriers. I guess Tom has drawn it all from a 9' Squall to a 1000'+ Nimitz class carrier!

gchuba
#28 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 4:31 PM

GPJ, yes they corrected the deck issue in later models. I will have pictures at some point. I do not believe it was a deadline, just an innovation that was not thought out and some fellow said "....wait a minute guys....look at what we are blocking....". I love the human element. I prefer it over computer generated products. My teak entrance misses being square by an inch or so entering the cuddy cabin. It lets me say "good enough" on my end for restoring. It is not the Swedish Yacht built for the Nike owner. Just a reasonably priced quality boat built by Americans making a sprayed in foam/gel coat work.. I like the fact the louvered door works perfect with the miss in the framing (how perfect can you get with a spray in?).

I like this label issue. Outrage III, Euro transom, 4 labels in one year. Herodotus said "...history is contemporary...". Only the fellows on the assembly line putting the boats together really know factory original.

I must have had 25 plus of the vineyard crawlers (green and yellow) pass through my hands over the years (plus quite a few other pieces of equipment). One had an auxiliary model A transmission to gear it lower (I did the same with a Volvo transmission on one) It was easier for me to get parts for a 1940 Oliver crawler than my 1981 Takeuchi excavator 15 years ago.

Garris

draftsman
#29 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/14 - 7:19 AM

Well, Squalls were a little before me but anything Temptation on I can lay claim to... I'll try to figure out the Photo Bucket thing, (sorry, I'm pretty low-tech by choice and don't try to keep up), and post pics of all of them I have and various other stickers there may be interest for... Hopefully it will help me help you guys better.
In any case, I always enjoy talking about the history of Whaler and even some of the dirty little secrets, lol... Every company has them you know... I definitely watched the landscape change from a culture of original owner/manufacturer/"family" business environment to the corporate world and way of thinking in my 11 years with the company. Surviving all the changes and problems that came with being sold 3 times was a feat in itself, at least in my mind... It was almost like being on Game of Thrones, you never knew who's head was going to be lopped off from week to week as the company was gutted by the next in line to the throne...
OK, side-track aside, I'll figure it out and get pics posted...

Binkie
#30 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/14 - 9:59 AM
Personal Page

Capacity plates were required after 1972. before that date they didn't exist.

Rich

draftsman
#31 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/14 - 7:31 AM

OK fellas, here my attempt at posting these things...

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/tom...slideshow/

Hope it works, will post more if good...

Edited by Phil T on 08/04/14 - 7:43 AM

draftsman
#32 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/14 - 5:50 AM

Added a ton more to the bucket, if anything's missing or doesn't seem right, let me know... Disregard the dates, the plates are the thing...

Edited by draftsman on 08/05/14 - 5:52 AM

hungerwater
#33 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/18 - 5:57 AM

I have a 1977 sport hull. It has the following on the capacity plate:

Max Hp with reote steering: 100
Max hp w/o remote steering: 50
Maximum Persons Capacity (Pounds): 1154
Maximum Weight Capacity (Persons, Motor & Gear) (Pounds): 1154

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 3:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 24
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,064,405 unique visits