View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Incorrect capacity plate data?
GPJ
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 11:54 AM

Comments: 0

Re: 1975 Montauk 16'7"

I just had a reproduction capacity plate made for my 1975 Montauk by a reputable vendor. It is a sticker. It arrived today:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/a...e0a848.jpg

The data seems very strange:

Max Hp with reote steering: 100
Max hp w/o remote steering: 50
Maximum Persons Capacity (Pounds): 1154
Maximum Weight Capacity (Persons, Motor & Gear) (Pounds): 1154

The hp figures seem correct. The weight capacities seem inconsistent. 1154# seems low for people, their gear, and the motor. It also seems strange that the plate would specify the same for people only, and then include the same all-up weight.

Does anybody know what the actual figures for this boat might be?

Thanks.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/31/14 - 12:29 PM

GPJ
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 11:56 AM

Make that a 1975 Montauk with a 16'7" hull. Sorry!

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 12:31 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

That doesn't seem right.

Will wait to hear from other 1973-1975 Montauk owners.
Maybe they can post a photo of their capacity plate for us?
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=17

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 1:24 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The NMMA capacity plate format looks completely different than what your vendor produced. That is a very poor "reproduction".

See this is an example: http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...photo_id=2

Since yours is wrong, I would request a refund and order the correct plate from Magic Brush. Janis, the owner, is the only authorized Whaler decal vendor and is also a whaler owner.

http://magicbrushsign.com

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 2:00 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

We also need to keep in mind that the 17' models were not made until 1976.

Your original capacity plate should probably say 16'7" and not 17.
I cannot find any photos of the 16'7" capacity plates.
Anyone?

The 16'7" should probably look something like the photo below but 16'7" Model.

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[92.95Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/31/14 - 2:01 PM

Weatherly
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 4:17 PM

Comments: 4

A 16 hull has a capacity plate that reads as follows:
BOSTON WHALER INC. ROCKLAND MASS.
16'7" MODEL (WHALER LOGO)
THIS BOAT IS BUILT TO ACCOMODATE UNDER NORMAL
CONDITIONS AN OUTBOARD MOTOR OF NOT MORE THAN
100 OBO CERTIFIED HORSEPOWER AND
10 PERSONS AT 150 LBS. PER PERSON
OR PROPERLY LOCATED MAX. WEIGHT OF
2400 LBS FOR PERSONS, MOTOR, AND GEAR.
WARRANTY IS VOID IF 100 HP IS EXCEEDED

The 17 hull has a capacity plate that reads:

7 persons or 885 lbs
1415 lbs Persons, Motor, Gear
100 HP motor

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 5:05 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

We already have the 17' models here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...photo_id=2

We just don't have a photo of the 16'7" model
Thanks for the info. Now we just need a photo from someone with a 16 model.

Marc-B
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 5:22 PM

I have a 1979 Newport 17 commercial hull with original plaque and I have a weight limit of 1154 lbs, is your hull a commercial hull with red dot besides the logo

Marc

GPJ
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 8:02 PM

Phil T wrote:
The NMMA capacity plate format looks completely different than what your vendor produced. That is a very poor "reproduction".

See this is an example: http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...photo_id=2

Since yours is wrong, I would request a refund and order the correct plate from Magic Brush. Janis, the owner, is the only authorized Whaler decal vendor and is also a whaler owner.

http://magicbrushsign.com

Hi Phil. I actually purchased this capacity sticker from Magic Brush, along with a new HIN plate and a set of side decals. I worked with Tom, not Janice (he answered the phone). In all fairness, I only specified my year and model number (1975 Montauk). I did not supply the hull length or a capacity plate format/ratings (frankly, I did not know what the ratings were). I remembered reading a post from Joe that these folks were the authorized suppliers for these items. I supposed I assumed they had official Whaler information on the ratings.

I will check call Tom (or Janice) and let them know I have the wrong capacity sticker. In boat terms, the cost was low: 12 bucks. I will see if they will send me the correct one at cost. I have a feeling we need to keep these folks in business!

GPJ
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 8:03 PM

Joe Kriz wrote:
We also need to keep in mind that the 17' models were not made until 1976.

Your original capacity plate should probably say 16'7" and not 17.
I cannot find any photos of the 16'7" capacity plates.
Anyone?

The 16'7" should probably look something like the photo below but 16'7" Model.

Joe, where would this plate have been riveted?

GPJ
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 8:08 PM

Weatherly wrote:
A 16 hull has a capacity plate that reads as follows:
BOSTON WHALER INC. ROCKLAND MASS.
16'7" MODEL (WHALER LOGO)
THIS BOAT IS BUILT TO ACCOMODATE UNDER NORMAL
CONDITIONS AN OUTBOARD MOTOR OF NOT MORE THAN
100 OBO CERTIFIED HORSEPOWER AND
10 PERSONS AT 150 LBS. PER PERSON
OR PROPERLY LOCATED MAX. WEIGHT OF
2400 LBS FOR PERSONS, MOTOR, AND GEAR.
WARRANTY IS VOID IF 100 HP IS EXCEEDED

The 17 hull has a capacity plate that reads:

7 persons or 885 lbs
1415 lbs Persons, Motor, Gear
100 HP motor

Weatherly, this is great, thanks! The figures make much more sense. With your permission and that of Joe, I will send your text and Joe's photo to Magic Brush with the replacement order.

GPJ
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/14 - 8:20 PM

Marc-B wrote:
I have a 1979 Newport 17 commercial hull with original plaque and I have a weight limit of 1154 lbs, is your hull a commercial hull with red dot besides the logo

Marc

Marc - I believe you solved the mystery of where that very strange 1154 lb number came from! Is the red dot on the capacity plate? My plate or sticker is long gone. I am going to call Boston Whaler customer service tomorrow to see if I can track down a little of the history of the boat.

Besides the weight limit, does your plate look anything like the sticker I received?

I suppose the moral of this story is that I need to do my research before placing an order and provide as much information as possible, even when dealing with an experienced vendor like Magic Brush.

By the way, Tom was very, very nice, and the service was quick. The HIN plate is a work of art, but it has to be replaced as well. The last character of my HIN is an "I" (capital I), and it was made up with the numeral 1. Again, I emailed the correct HIN to Tom but did not emphasize that the last character was a letter not a number. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the side decals!

Marc-B
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 3:47 AM

The red dot and in some reading the dot could be black, is on the side of the hull imbedded into gel coat close to where the logo is, it is the size of Canadian loony.

My plate which is riveted to the Inside of the hull close to the console is metal and is exactly like the one you received

Good luck in your research

GPJ
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 4:56 AM

Marc-B wrote:
The red dot and in some reading the dot could be black, is on the side of the hull imbedded into gel coat close to where the logo is, it is the size of Canadian loony.

My plate which is riveted to the Inside of the hull close to the console is metal and is exactly like the one you received

Good luck in your research

Thanks for the orientation, Marc! As I sand down the sides, I will look for the old holes so I make sure I get the new "plate" in the correct place. Magic Brush apparently doesn't do real capacity plates, only stickers. I may make my own plate and affix the sticker.

draftsman
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 6:43 AM

OK, here's what I've been waiting for... Joe, the 17 art shown, and most of the plates shown, are incorrect by a mile. Mostly it has to do with all the bottom info on them, it is not cookie cutter info and not all boats have the same details, and another thing is the boat authority logo's.. The first three plates were USCG approval, then BIA/BIA, then BIA/NMMA and the NMMA/NMMA was the last, still in use. There are actually 4 different "styles" of plates and many variations from there... I have most all the original art and variations. GPJ's model, according to BW official records, is in a transition year where the plate could be a 16-7 or a 17, I debated which to send...
Either way GPJ, if you think it's wrong, why not call me back? I'm not perfect and mistakes get made, but as you say, we deal with it pretty well when wrong...
The 13 plate shown runs from about '72 to '77, along with 16'7, 19, & 21 models in the same style as shown. You guys also have to remember that the capacity numbers changed alot when they started adding "factors of safety" numbers to the mix among other regulations. We do have alum. plates for all that were 1 color, mostly models up to '77 or so, and all colors were used on plates '77 on into the 80's, right up to the normal standard of black/yellow we have today.
I do have pics of all models and variations and have verified the info with the factory if I am not sure... Point is, don't look at the plates on this site as gospel, they're not...

brikyrd912
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 7:13 AM

Comments: 1

Thank you Phil. GPJ, if there is a problem, please call my office,
JANIS

Phil T
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 8:19 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Once again, I have overstepped my knowledge.

My apologies for confusing the issue further.

Just goes to show, even after 10+ years of reading all about Boston Whalers, there is a lot more to learn.

GPJ
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 8:51 AM

brikyrd912 wrote:
Thank you Phil. GPJ, if there is a problem, please call my office,
JANIS

Dear Janis - I think we have sorted out what capacity sticker goes with this hull. I should have done my research before placing the order.

Whaler Central Members - For what it is worth out there in Whaler Central land, the quality and aesthetic appearance of all three items I ordered from Magic Brush - capacity sticker, HIN plate, side stickers - is exquisite. The price was very fair. Shipping was fast and damage-free. I would not hesitate to use the company again. In fact, I plan to ask if they can make some switch labels for my instrument panel.

GPJ
#19 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 8:58 AM

draftsman wrote:
OK, here's what I've been waiting for... Joe, the 17 art shown, and most of the plates shown, are incorrect by a mile. Mostly it has to do with all the bottom info on them, it is not cookie cutter info and not all boats have the same details, and another thing is the boat authority logo's.. The first three plates were USCG approval, then BIA/BIA, then BIA/NMMA and the NMMA/NMMA was the last, still in use. There are actually 4 different "styles" of plates and many variations from there... I have most all the original art and variations. GPJ's model, according to BW official records, is in a transition year where the plate could be a 16-7 or a 17, I debated which to send...
Either way GPJ, if you think it's wrong, why not call me back? I'm not perfect and mistakes get made, but as you say, we deal with it pretty well when wrong...
The 13 plate shown runs from about '72 to '77, along with 16'7, 19, & 21 models in the same style as shown. You guys also have to remember that the capacity numbers changed alot when they started adding "factors of safety" numbers to the mix among other regulations. We do have alum. plates for all that were 1 color, mostly models up to '77 or so, and all colors were used on plates '77 on into the 80's, right up to the normal standard of black/yellow we have today.
I do have pics of all models and variations and have verified the info with the factory if I am not sure... Point is, don't look at the plates on this site as gospel, they're not...

Dear Tom - Thank you for your gracious reply. I am not surprised that 1975 was a transition year. More than anything, I was concerned that the text listed the same weight limit for both categories.

I will call you up to discuss options. Glen

gchuba
#20 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/14 - 9:14 AM

GPJ, any chance you may keep the plate as true factory original? 4 plates for that year, who knows which was with your hull. Especially when the archivist used for references (with factory records) is the one supplying the product. I have had some old tractors with mismatching I.D. information. I believe those old boys would have a stack of plates, use them up regardless of a particular change on the assembly line, and send them on there way. Adds character to the era.

Garris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 2:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,030,095 unique visits