View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rare Sakonnet sighting
Finnegan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 7:59 PM

Comments: 16

Just for information purposes, in case any Whaler historians are interested, recently at a launching ramp in Door County, way up on the Wisconsin "thumb", I came across a fellow launching a 1976 SMIRKED HULL Sakonnet, complete with the mahogany console and mahogany Reversible Pilot seat.

In my case, I have NEVER seen a 1976 17' smirked hull in the Sakonnet version, even though the catalog clearly shows it to have been available. It seems at the time that everyone wanted the fiberglass console Montauk instead.

I did not have a camera avaiable, so don't have a photo. The owner told he only picked the boat up a few weeks earlier, for $3500. Engine was an OMC 90, and the boat may have been originally sold by Twin Cities. The hull was in remarkably good shape, no bottom paint, all original gelcoat.

It was interesting to see how the console was installed, which required some additional base mahogany fittings to conform with the boat floor. The reverse sloping windshield was missing.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 11:08 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Very hard to find that model.
I have seen a photo of one.

Unfortunately, the 1976 catalog shows the earlier 16 smirkless model.
Even the catalogs do not have a photo of a Smirked Sakonnet.

Too bad you didn't have a camera.

The photo attached below is from the 1976 catalog and says Sakonnet 17 but we all know it isn't.
The photo is from prior years and is a Sakonnet 16 with the smirkless hull and rectangular bow locker cover.
The same photo can be found in the 1975 catalog.

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[65.48Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/23/14 - 11:13 PM

crbenny
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/14 - 4:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Larry, wouldn't the casting platform have been altered as well?

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/14 - 3:46 PM

Comments: 16

Chris - The boat did not have the Forward Platform. My guess is that Whaler did not have one available for the few Sakonnet/smirked hull boats they sold.

It's possible I may see that boat again this summer. If I do, I'll get a photo.

MG56
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/14 - 7:14 AM
Personal Page

I saw one for sale by the original owner. If one of you would like to contact him, for pictures or details, email me and I'll send you the contact info.

saumon
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/14 - 7:52 PM
Personal Page

Here's one for sale, a 1976 Sakonnet on a smirked hull, all original, one owner boat without bottom paint and all wood intact, including the front platform:

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/4620...61154.html

Looks like a rare find!
(in case the ad got deleted, I save all the pics for reference, if anybody whants them: http://s984.photobucket.com/user/saum...20Sakonnet)

Edited by saumon on 08/16/14 - 8:01 PM
1991 Outrage 17' I - 2005 E-Tec 90hp

MG56
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/14 - 5:28 AM
Personal Page

That's the same boat I saw I just wasn't sure if we should post a link to it.

Someone else listed it because the owner doesn't have a computer but I have the owners name and phone number. I also have the original images that I uploaded to PB, you need to click on the magnifying icon on the bottom right twice to open them to full size,

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Qtrme...amp;page=1

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/14 - 10:17 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

BWCB6648M76i
3B0976

With the last letter being an eye, that would designate it being built in April of 1976 as a 1976 year model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=61

The bow platform is even different from the earlier models.
Smaller as it doesn't wrap around the console and the layout of the wood is crosswise instead of lengthwise.

(EDIT: added Stencil number above for future reference on this 1976 Sakonnet)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/17/14 - 4:22 PM

MG56
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/14 - 4:04 PM
Personal Page

If you zoom in on the engine mounting plate you can see the stencil # 3B0976, which makes it after March and before June. Actually the B looks like an 8 but I assume whoever made that plate made a typo. There is a whole story of why that plate was made, which dovetails in with why that 120 Johnson is on there.

Better than that the owner has the original build list from Boston Whaler because he was trying to buy a Sakonnet and he had to go to the very end of the list to find the last one for sale anywhere, and it was the last one made. This is documented to be the last Sakonnet made & sold.

He has all of the original paperwork & a log of everything ever done to the boat, down to tightening a screw.

He had a carpenter make the console doghouse for gauges & the front platform. He said the boat did not come with a front platform as stock from BW. The trolling motor mount is something else I would rather not see but what are you going to do?

The Johnson 120 is a 1992, has 127 hours on it and weighs 365 lbs. I'm not hating it.

I wish I didn't see that ad because I bought the boat, I couldn't let this boat be bought by some nitwit. It wasn't that long ago I was getting beat up for objecting to how an old original hull was "Restored", and that played a big part in why I bought this boat. There was only one person on that tread that understood what I meant and this boat is too special & too important to let it be ruined. I also think it can be restored to a very high level with most of it's original parts. We'll see, I am taking a big chance here.

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/14 - 4:17 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Yep, April comes after March and before June.

The HIN tag was put on in April as signified by the last letter, eye.
May would have had a J for the last letter.

I saw the transom plate and the 120hp motor.

Not sure what you are going to find out about the front platform.
I have never seen a factory one for the Sakonnet 17'.
All the Smirkless 16 platforms probably will not fit properly.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Now you have a 1975 Montauk and a 1976 Sakonnet.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/17/14 - 4:18 PM

saumon
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/14 - 6:26 PM
Personal Page

Congratulations, you now own a very unique boat!

1991 Outrage 17' I - 2005 E-Tec 90hp

MG56
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/14 - 1:56 PM
Personal Page

I wasn't going to say anything until the boat mentioned above sold but I didn't buy the boat, and I hope the reason this boat still hasn't sold isn't because people here think it is off the market. It is still for sale and here is the link>>>

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/4701...36540.html

I didn't buy it because it wasn't right for me, and I almost turned around three times on the drive home to buy it. It's a damn nice boat, and I passed on paying 10K for it. The reason I didn't buy it was because it was left in the water without bottom paint, and there are hundreds of tiny blisters below the waterline. If you need to have a boat with bottom paint this is a deal. Above the water line the hull is very good.

My email is under my profile if anyone is interested in buying. I have no problem sharing what I know about the boat.

MG56
#13 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/14 - 2:17 PM
Personal Page

As for the Smirked Sakonnet details, Chuck Bennett has supplied a lot of new info.>>>

"Looking through the old handwritten shipping records; HIN BWCB6648M76I was built in our old Rockland, MA factory as a 17' Sakonnet model and was originally shipped out to a Mamaroneck Marine, in Mamaroneck, NY, on 4/20/76.

I counted quite a few Sakonnets were built after this one".

Joe, I've seen this boat and the stencil & HIN are verified. Should you add this to your list of boats? I don't know where you would add it b/c you don't have 17 Sakonnets

It gets better. I asked what was the last one built, and info on the forward platform.>>>

"I counted 27 Sakonnet models in 1975.

32 Sakonnet models in 1976.

Only 4 Sakonnet models produced in 1977.

The last one, that I could find, was serial # 3B1768. This was picked up at our Rockland, MA factory by F.L. Tripp Marine, out of Westport, MA on 11/17/76 (as a 1977 model).

The Sakonnet platform would have been mahogany, or, there was an available forward seat instead of the platform".

I tried to reconcile why the owner of the above boat, and the dealer who sold the boat, were so sure it was the last boat when it is clear there were more Sakonnets sold after. I think at the time it was the last one built, but there was pressure from buyers, since the last one was sold in April, and BW ran another production run of the furniture, say like 20 or 24. Which explains why there were 1977 models for sale.

Regardless, in 1976-77 there were only 36 Sakonnets made. How many of the 1976 models were Smirked? Out of 32 maybe half of them?

Weatherly
#14 Print Post
Posted on 10/18/14 - 6:19 AM

Comments: 4

Severe osmosis, multiple blistering, or "hull pox" is a serious condition. If the bottom of this Boston Whaler 17 is covered with blisters, filling them won't cure the problem. Pox is a systemic condition indicating that the hull is saturated. The actions necessary to remedy boat pox require specialized equipment and hull repair expertise. Hull pox is a good reason not to buy a used boat, no matter how "rare" you consider the boat.

Edited by Weatherly on 10/18/14 - 6:19 AM

MG56
#15 Print Post
Posted on 10/20/14 - 11:00 AM
Personal Page

Weatherly wrote:
Severe osmosis, multiple blistering, or "hull pox" is a serious condition. If the bottom of this Boston Whaler 17 is covered with blisters, filling them won't cure the problem. Pox is a systemic condition indicating that the hull is saturated. The actions necessary to remedy boat pox require specialized equipment and hull repair expertise. Hull pox is a good reason not to buy a used boat, no matter how "rare" you consider the boat.

Give me a break. The gelcoat on this boat has been compromised, for sure, but the hull is not saturated. The only special tool you need is a grinder. Or you could just forget the tiny blisters and trailer the boat for the next 40 years and do nothing.

Is it a big repair? Yes, but it is pretty straight forward and probably less difficult than removing bottom paint.

The fact remains that this is a nice boat with tons of extras, and a kick ass engine with very low hours. If this boat is still for sale in February I have a magic number I'll buy the boat at. I'm pretty sure I could have left with the boat for 8k after seeing the hull issues, so feel free to assume my magic number is much less.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 8:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,042,203 unique visits