View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Our Whaler has a beard!
flyfisher
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 2:23 PM

Comments: 0

We are leaving our Monauk in the water at a marina this summer. The bottom is getting stained from the muddy water. The guy who works on the motor calls it a Fish River Beard (g).

Is there anything I can do to minimize the staining of the hull? Some special spray or something I might could apply before I put it back in the water?

Thanks!

wlagarde
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 2:42 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

Older hulls are more succeptable to this. The gel coat becomes porous with age. Keeping it waxed helps and Mary Kate On Off will usually remove the stains.

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

wlagarde
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 4:42 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

Also, just to confirm - the marina is located on a body of freshwater, correct? Otherwise, you will need to apply antifouling bottom paint...

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

wing15601
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 7:30 PM

Which body of fresh water matters also. If it's attached to the Great Lakes the boat will need antifouling paint to prevent zebra mussels from attaching.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/14 - 8:12 PM

Comments: 16

Any boat left in the water more than 1 month should have bottom paint, a recommendation I hate to make since I don't like bottom paint at all. But many do not have a choice if that is how they plan to use their boat.

The only way to avoid the paint is to pull the boat out RELIGIOUSLY every two weeks, and clean it up with "Instant Hull Cleaner", either sprayed or wiped on. Starbrite makes it, and you can get the same thing by SeaSense at Walmart. A coat of wax on the bottom and sides will help, but it's a lot of work, and each application of the hull cleaner (basically an oxalic acid misture) will remove the wax. Stay away from that MaryKate On-Off phosphoric acid stuff - way too strong for your gelcoat.

You do want to keep the bottom buffed out, since that smooths the gelcoat surface and eliminates a porous surface which will soak up water. Yes, any gelcoat will eventually absorb some water, and then you get blistering, etc. Not good. I would let the bottom dry out for a day before putting it back in after each cleaning.

butchdavis
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/14 - 8:10 AM

I assume you are talking about the Fish River near Magnolia Springs/Marlow?

Depending upon rainfall and your location on the river you can get sufficient water from Weeks Bay to make the water brackish. Do you also fish in Weeks Bay, the Magnolia River and Mobile Bay?

I concur with the earlier recommendation to apply antifouling bottom paint to your Whaler. Nothing else will keep growth off the bottom. I recommend a good quality ablative water based paint carefully applied to a properly prepared hull. I use Petit Hydrocoat for my Whaler used mostly in Little Lagoon and other salt water around Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

Butch

flyfisher
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/14 - 8:58 AM

wlagarde wrote:
Also, just to confirm - the marina is located on a body of freshwater, correct? Otherwise, you will need to apply antifouling bottom paint...

Actually it's a brackish river down here in what we locals call LA (Lower Alabama)

flyfisher
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/14 - 9:09 AM

butchdavis wrote:
I assume you are talking about the Fish River near Magnolia Springs/Marlow?

Depending upon rainfall and your location on the river you can get sufficient water from Weeks Bay to make the water brackish. Do you also fish in Weeks Bay, the Magnolia River and Mobile Bay?

I concur with the earlier recommendation to apply antifouling bottom paint to your Whaler. Nothing else will keep growth off the bottom. I recommend a good quality ablative water based paint carefully applied to a properly prepared hull. I use Petit Hydrocoat for my Whaler used mostly in Little Lagoon and other salt water around Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

Yes sir...we are keeping it down at Big Daddy's for the summer (right at the 32 bridge). My wife and daughters hate fooling with launching it...and it is nice to just step in it and go. They have fuel right there at Big Daddy's.

Actually, I tend to fish down at the beach more than up this way. I've gotten interested (well, obsessed might be a better word) with tarpon. I do fish in Fish River (and the reefs and rigs in the bay for trout with a slip cork some. I've gotten really interested in flyfishing and those opportunities are better down at the beach.

How about yourself?

I had to get a power pack replaced on my motor and, when I got a good look when putting it on the trailer, was shocked to see how much "junk" accumulated in just a month. I'm really getting cold feet about leaving it down there.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 7:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.38 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,703,397 unique visits