View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Seating options for a 1979 22' Revenge
VA Whaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/14 - 2:57 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I'm a long way from being able to use my 1979 22' Revenge for fishing and cruising but I'd like to keep my eyes open to replacing the rear seats with something more universal. It came with 4 Wise swivel seats and I'm thinking about keeping two for the capt and front passenger. Depending on what we come up with I might scrap that plan as well. Basically I was wondering what my best option would be for the rear seat(s).

I foresee this boat being used for fishing the Chesapeake Bay as well as crusing around with friends and family. So I'd like to be able to quickly and somewhat easily swap out the rear fishing seats for a bench seat or a pair of more comfortable seats (while at the dock). Would there be a good interchangable option that you could reccomend for this type of set up? If that involvesd scrapping the front seats and installing some sort of back to back option, I'm willing to listen but I do like my swivel captains seat. :)

Thanks!

John

Edited by VA Whaler on 07/14/14 - 2:59 PM

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 8:29 AM

John, when I first got my boat (same as yours 1979 22' Revenge) a commercial fisherman looked at it with me. First thing said "...put a cooler right in the middle of the deck...". Just what I did. I found a stainless Reversible Pilot Seat out of a Proline boat and customized the back rest into rocket launcher. The actual seat is a 94qt. cooler which sits inside the frame work. Serves as a leaning post for the whole back of the boat. A little tight between the gunnels, but works great.
Garris

VA Whaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 10:22 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Garris. That sounds pretty sharp. I'd really like to see that,,,, Smile

This site looks to have some good options for seating:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/outhil...13426.html

Does your seat looks something like this except with rocket launchers?

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/outhil...tem_213428

Edited by VA Whaler on 07/17/14 - 10:27 AM

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 11:04 AM

Nothing at all like those. Frame work of stainless and the cooler plops in with gravity holding it down. Standard cushion on top of the cooler. The rocket launcher/back rest pivots off the deck, just outside the cooler. From a clearance standpoint the next size down of cooler would leave a few more inches of "walkaround" on the starboard and port sides. A little tight but I got the seat set up for a couple hundred and could not resist. Nicest thing is removing the cooler is a snap and the bottom of the cooler is raised off the deck a few inches and leaves me access to the fish locker hatch/cover

Garris.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 11:28 AM

John,
I googled "cooler seats for boats" and found one that looks similar to mine. Mine is stainless. Ironically, the company's name that makes the seat is "Proline" but with no affiliation with the Proline boat manufacturer who's vessel I salvaged it off of. I removed the back rest cushion (actually it removed itself) and put on the launchers. "prolinealum.com" look under aluminum and cooler holders pop up. Mine is almost identical to the "Pro 34" minus the foot rest.

Garris

VA Whaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 11:45 AM
Personal Page

gchuba wrote:
Nothing at all like those. Frame work of stainless and the cooler plops in with gravity holding it down. Standard cushion on top of the cooler. The rocket launcher/back rest pivots off the deck, just outside the cooler. From a clearance standpoint the next size down of cooler would leave a few more inches of "walkaround" on the starboard and port sides. A little tight but I got the seat set up for a couple hundred and could not resist. Nicest thing is removing the cooler is a snap and the bottom of the cooler is raised off the deck a few inches and leaves me access to the fish locker hatch/cover

Garris.

I was wondering if you still had access to the fish locker. Does the frame basically sit a little forward of it or on top of it?

Thanks

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 12:00 PM

John,
I split the difference to see what felt "correct". I wanted to be able to pass completely around the seat (starboard, port and transom sides) without encroaching too much into the deck area behind the helm. A little tight. I believe I cover 1/2 the fish locker. Seat is off now while I have my fish locker deck cover off.

Garris

Jay Fitz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 12:49 PM
Personal Page

VA Whaler wrote:
Thanks Garris. That sounds pretty sharp. I'd really like to see that,,,, :)

This site looks to have some good options for seating:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/outhil...13426.html

Does your seat looks something like this except with rocket launchers?

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/outhil...tem_213428

Those are some slick looking seating configurations. Are they sold in the US? The link I clicked on took me to a site in the UK it looked like.

VA Whaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 1:51 PM
Personal Page

Garris, I can picture what you are talking about. Thanks. I hope to do some work on the boat this weekend and I'll tape off the amount of space for something similar.

Jay, yeah those seats are slick. Expensive too and they are apparently a British company. The seat I like:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/outhil...tem_213428 runs $3500 before shipping. That's a grand more than I paid for my entire rig. Smile Don't think I'll be making that purchase anytime soon.

Edited by VA Whaler on 07/17/14 - 1:54 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 7:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,058,206 unique visits