View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Does the bimini top provide decent protection from the rain?
Alley Oop
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 11:32 AM

Comments: 0

How effective is the bimini top in protecting you from the rain if you’re cruising in an Outrage 18 at say 20 knots and there is no wind. I fish the Straight of Georgia and the west coast of Vancouver Island, we get more than our share of rain up here. I’m making plans to buy an Outrage 18 and am making a list of “must haves” for the boat. I owned a Montauk for 20 years, sold it a few years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

ritzyrags
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 12:33 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Alley Oop wrote:
How effective is the bimini top in protecting you from the rain if you’re cruising in an Outrage 18 at say 20 knots and there is no wind. I fish the Straight of Georgia and the west coast of Vancouver Island, we get more than our share of rain up here. I’m making plans to buy an Outrage 18 and am making a list of “must haves” for the boat. I owned a Montauk for 20 years, sold it a few years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Hey Mark,

Biminis will be great as primarily sunshading the operator.
In the BC weather as in cold windy and grey; a partial or fully enclosed shelter will be preferred.
On the West Coast or in the Georgia Straight, one will be careful to choose his tide co ordinated outings.
Greeting from the Big Island.
PS- The saying actually say.."The floggings will resume until moral improves."

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 12:34 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Some coverage for you, none for anyone else.

I always carried a full rain suit.

alexjeter
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 12:47 PM

I agree bimini tops are for protection from sun, not wind or spray. I had front and side curtains made for my whaler. Not cheap but very affective. I would do the same in future if needed. Good luck.

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 1:19 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

How effective is the bimini top in protecting you from the rain if you’re cruising in an Outrage 18

Not much if it is windy at all.

Consider the Flying Top Set.
Here is one I had on my Outrage 18'.
I didn't have the side curtains but still had it in the snow.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrag...ngtop2.jpg

You can add side or rear drop curtain if needed.

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 3:12 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

If you are concerned about wind and rain, then your must haves should include a mills canvas set Joe linked too. The side curtains and the rear drop curtain will fully enclose the boat both you and your passengers. I have a full set and even without the drop curtain you stay dry and warm

Alley Oop
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/14 - 4:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
Mark

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/14 - 4:58 PM

Comments: 16

For all-weather protection, the Sun Top (bimini) is basically worthless at any speed whatsoever.

Having extensively cruised the waters of the BC Inland passage in an Outrage 18, all the way north as far as Port Hardy, I can say you DEFINITELY need the Mills Flying Top Set as mentioned, and also the Side Curtain set. It will keep you dry, warm and out of the wind. The totally enclosing Aft Curtain can be considered optional.

Don't bother with after market, locally designed stuff. The Mills is superior quality, fabrication and design, pre-done and now with computerized fabrication, sold in conjunction with Boston Whaler since 1958. It fits the boat perfectly, and comes with complete installation instructions. It is what you want, and will cost less, although the complete set will still run around 3K. For the kind of weather you are boating in, it's worth every penny of that cost.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/29/16 - 6:55 PM

Alley Oop
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/14 - 8:13 PM

Thanks for the info Finnegan.
Mark

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 3:16 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,038,929 unique visits