View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
trade question
dkasht
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/14 - 6:57 AM

Comments: 0

I have a supersport limited 13ft. I believe it is 1987 or 89. Its in great shape and I have done many upgrades. Thinking of trading someone on cl for a 1991 17 Montauk anniversary edition. Looks ok from pictures in general. Anything about the Montauk that standout as troublesome? Common problems ect?

dkasht
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 12:46 PM

Anyone? Should I take the lack of response a hint that there is nothing bad about a Montauk 17' 1991 anniversary edition!?

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 1:48 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The Montauk is one of the best selling models and a very capable all-around boat.

Here is the 1991 Anniversary model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=15988

ritzyrags
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 4:27 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Seems like a Montauk would be a nice progression after having completed your thirteen.
Nothing wrong with moving up to a nice 1991 Montauk.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

northeastern
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 5:02 PM
Personal Page

I think I've seen the add for the anniversary. If you desire more room than do it for sure, Montauks are great hulls. The 91 isn't a classic (no wood for example) but they're very capable boats and will give you more room and range over the 13.

Make sure the Montauk is in good shape, engine runs and hull is dry and then enjoy.

Weatherly
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 5:04 PM

Comments: 4

It is tough to give an opinion on a boat without identifying data. Can you post a link to the CL ad? That way, we can give you an informed perspective. Right now on CL Boston there are two Montauk anniverary editions for sale. One has been for sale for some time, more than a year, off/on. The other has missing Boston Whaler decals, an no apparent anniversary decal on the exterior hull. How much do you have invested in your BW13 SSL? Is it a fair trade, or plus cash? Which way? More information requested.

Also, the repair of the interior hull area around the norman pin is not a difficult repair, nor is it costly. Dick Fisher used to call that area that hold the norman pin, the "Generd." A norman pin that is used for holding lines more than an anchor or dock line will be subjected to damaging stress. Never use the norman pin for towing.

Edited by Weatherly on 06/25/14 - 5:04 PM

MG56
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 5:46 PM
Personal Page

dkasht wrote:
I have a supersport limited 13ft. I believe it is 1987 or 89. Its in great shape and I have done many upgrades. Thinking of trading someone on cl for a 1991 17 Montauk anniversary edition. Looks ok from pictures in general. Anything about the Montauk that standout as troublesome? Common problems ect?

Why don't you know what year boat you have? It is easy to find out. When you have a chance go to the site map here and spend some time.

I would take any Whaler 16/17 over a 13 all day every day, and the Montauk is the best 17. What, a 13 fits in a smaller garage? If you were talking about moving up to a bigger boat things get more complicated. But you know this already.

You are asking about a very specific model and I have only seen 2 of those listed up here recently. One was 12k and it would have to be a very mint original to get that money, The other was 6k and looked a little worn, but it could be a good deal.

Condition is everything and you have to look at the boat yourself. Assuming the boat/motor/trailer is an original package everything not a Whaler is at the end of its life. If the boat has been moored instead of trailered maybe the Whaler isn't worth beans.

The trailer is going to need work even if all it ever did was sit around. The motor either runs right or it doesn't. Maybe if it is a fresh water engine it could be worth more than parts value, but we get back to condition.

I like to know how long the owner has owned the boat, and I look around and see how well he takes care of things in general. That matters.

You probably have a nice boat and put a lot of work into it to make it yours. When selling, owner specific upgrades generally return very little value. You are probably going to look at a boat that needs all the same work, and even more.

I think you are on the right path to upgrade to a 17 but you have to make sure this deal is right for you. #1 you have to make sure the condition of the boat is acceptable to you for your use, and future investment. Don't be swayed because of the easy trade situation. The boat you are trading is just about the easiest boat to sell in America.

dkasht
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 7:11 PM

Thanks for the replays. Here is the cl listing. http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/boa/4531916723.html

I do not see the anniversary symbols or whaler logo on side. Someone removed? Could this be faked? Person says they owned it for 8 years. I am looking to move up. My ss is in good condition no engine problem ect. This montauk seems aged a little but could be good for me if there is no major problems. Any suggestions based on this cl ad I'm going tomorrow to show him mine and see his boat. Thanks all this is a great site

dkasht
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 7:15 PM

Also I didn't address one of the other posters here. I have invested some money in my ss. New fuel pump, gas tank, battery, upholstery, radio, fish finder, ect. That being said it would be an even trade no cash. Anything to look for. Is there anything that should be on an anniversary edition to make it authentic? I don't want to buy a copycat boat. Any help appreciated.

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 7:21 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

An even trade for a larger newer boat for your smaller older boat.

WOW.

I would do that all day long, every day of the year.
As long as it was in good condition.

That is pretty much a no brainer.

dkasht
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 7:27 PM

Anything specific to make sure it's a whaler since no decals? Any way to tell if it has water? Sorry for dumb question but mine is sound so I don't know exactly what to look for other than engine compression and overall appearance.

dkasht
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/14 - 7:29 PM

Also I believe my older smaller boat is in much much better condition than that newer bigger boat so seems fair to me. Quality matters I love the Boston whaler brand. Besides giving me some pointers on anything to look out for, does this seem underpowered? 70hp on 17ft?

Edited by dkasht on 06/26/14 - 3:52 AM

Weatherly
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/14 - 3:59 AM

Comments: 4

The Montauk you identified (link provided at bottom of this post) as a prospective trade has been for sale off and on during the last year plus. The boat is in disrepair. The windshield is missing. There is apparent chine damage right side exterior hull. There is gelcoat damage from a "kicker" motor right side transom exterior hull. The exterior hull above the waterline is algae stained. The trailer winch bracket support is improperly adjusted too high, that usually causes chine damage to the "smirk" area of the exterior hull forward. The aluminium propeller has dings; the lower unit of the OMC J70 appears to have a color mismatched lower unit and has apparent severe galvanic corrosion. The boat has ME registration numbers but is being sold in MA. Where is the boat titled?

I do not personally like the 1991 Anniversary Montauk. I do not like the lexan hatches; I do not like the lack of a true BW Montauk identifier: the Sheppard's Crook. I do not like the modified side and bow rails, even though I do like the t-less stainless welded rail concept. I do not like the green color exterior hull decal. Looks like something you might find on a pair of Reebok sneakers. Or maybe designed by a guy who took his art degree from the Rhode Island School of Design. One final question: "where's the teak?"

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/boa/...16723.html

Edited by Weatherly on 06/26/14 - 4:01 AM

dkasht
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/14 - 5:13 AM

wow, thank you. This site is very knowledagable!

dkasht
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/14 - 5:49 AM

Just out of curiosity is that green stripe a decal or actually under the gel? IM gonna pass on this I think. Don't want to spend my summer fixing.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 5:28 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,981,548 unique visits