View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Vandalism...What can be done?
flyfisher
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/14 - 3:16 PM

Comments: 0

We have a 1998 Montauk. I recently took it in for some trailer repair and they discovered someone had drilled two 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of the hull. I have no idea when or why but it must've been vandals.

What can I do? I want to get a season out of it and then take it in next fall so I had the holes fixed but I'm sure water's gotten in the hull...it has to have.

Can this even be fixed? I am sick, sick, sick.

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/14 - 3:31 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Did they happen to say or did you notice water dripping from the hull? If not, as long as the holes were filled properly, there is not much you can do so I wouldn't stress too much. I have never know someone to go drilling holes in a boat, but maybe they were hoping it would sink and could salvage it and get a nice whaler. Clearly they know nothing about whaler construction.

Silentpardner
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/14 - 5:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Yes, it can be fixed

flyfisher
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 5:07 AM

Silentpardner wrote:
Yes, it can be fixed

What would have to be done?

flyfisher
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 5:09 AM

kamie wrote:
Did they happen to say or did you notice water dripping from the hull? If not, as long as the holes were filled properly, there is not much you can do so I wouldn't stress too much. I have never know someone to go drilling holes in a boat, but maybe they were hoping it would sink and could salvage it and get a nice whaler. Clearly they know nothing about whaler construction.

I don't believe there was water dripping from the hull. What bothers me is how long has this been going on? Fortunately, I trailer it and it doesn't stay in the water but still...

Do you think the foam etc is ruined?

wing15601
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 8:48 AM

The foam in a whaler absorbs water very slowly. Depending on where the holes are and the angle at which they were drilled, water could have been under pressure in the holes and you may have some wet foam. You didn't notice the boat sitting lower in the water so the intrusion is probably minimal and shouldn't be a big concern. As for repair, there will be as many different opinions as members on this site. 3/8 inch holes could be filled with 5200 and the boat used the rest of the season and repairs made after you winterize. Do you know how deep the holes are? With that information I would cleanup the holes, get a piece of fiberglass cloth, the width equal to about 1/8 inch less than the hole depth, wet it out with epoxy and roll it up and stuff it into the hole. Finish off with a dab of gelcoat and forget about it.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

jfortson
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 9:27 AM
Personal Page

My question is how long have you had the boat? If you bought it 2nd hand, the previous owner may have been checking for water in the hull or drilled the holes to let it dry out. Most vandals do not carry drills around and would likely done more than drill a couple of holes.

As far as patching, there are almost as many ways as there are members here. I would taper the holes and fill with a mixture of West systems with high density filler and maybe a little chopped glass. Smooth it out when applying and sanding if needed and a little gel coat, but that is not critical.

15' Striper 1987, 70 hp 2000 Johnson

gchuba
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 9:47 AM

Two part "Splash Zone" is the hole filler/waterproof repair on the Sausalito waterfront.

Garris

Silentpardner
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 10:59 AM
Personal Page

In my opinion, any of the above methods could be used to repair a 3/8" hole. There are also many more methods you could use, some more skill-intensive than others, and some would certainly be more involved with the determination of water intrusion.

You really need to look at these holes closely. Are there blisters in the fiberglass at the edge of the holes? This is one observation that would definitely change your course of action in the repair process you choose, and there would be a different repairs required for different observations of the problem. If it's just a couple of holes, that's one thing.

Others here have asked questions in their replies that reflect their own experience in observing holes in hulls. You need to look at yours, take some pictures, then review, with a search of this site on "hull repair", in order to determine the best way to attack your possibly unique problem.

I am in agreement with the poster who questioned vandalism as the cause of your problem. I have NEVER heard of a vandal drilling holes in boats, doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would seem that vandals would be set on doing damage in a much easier,(for them), way. Have you made someone that angry with you lately? :) Have you had the boat in a bad area of town full of out of work craftsmen carrying around battery powered drills? :)

Are these holes in the bow of the boat? My 1989 Whaler 27 has 2 holes approximately 3/8' that appear to be drilled into the bow of the boat with no trim that are actually the anchor locker drains. I would certainly not want to fill them with anything, as the anchor locker would not drain if they were filled. These holes were made at the time of manufacture of my boat by Boston Whaler, and they have served a needed purpose every since then. Have you determined if the holes in your boat could actually have been drilled on purpose by Boston Whaler? I am unfamiliar with your model of Boston Whaler, but be certain they are not supposed to be there before panicking. :)

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/19/14 - 11:01 AM

Silentpardner
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page

I want to get a season out of it and then take it in next fall so I had the holes fixed

Upon re-reading your post, I see you have already had these mystery holes repaired! Exactly what is your question? have you observed something that indicates your hull is full of water or something?

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/19/14 - 11:13 AM

Tom Hemphill
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 3:24 PM
Personal Page

...took it in for some trailer repair and they discovered someone had drilled two 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of the hull.

What sort of trailer repair? Was drilling holes in the trailer required? Was it you who first came up with the vandalism theory?

flyfisher
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 4:50 AM

Silentpardner wrote:
I want to get a season out of it and then take it in next fall so I had the holes fixed

Upon re-reading your post, I see you have already had these mystery holes repaired! Exactly what is your question? have you observed something that indicates your hull is full of water or something?

My question is what can be done to repair any damage to the foam or stringers or whatever might've absorbed water? Is there anything that can be done to dry out or repair any internal damage from the absorbing that water?

flyfisher
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 4:54 AM

jfortson wrote:
My question is how long have you had the boat? If you bought it 2nd hand, the previous owner may have been checking for water in the hull or drilled the holes to let it dry out. Most vandals do not carry drills around and would likely done more than drill a couple of holes.

As far as patching, there are almost as many ways as there are members here. I would taper the holes and fill with a mixture of West systems with high density filler and maybe a little chopped glass. Smooth it out when applying and sanding if needed and a little gel coat, but that is not critical.

I've had the boat many years (almost 20)...I know they weren't there when I got it because I got up under there and looked. It may not have been vandals but I occasionally go down to Florida to tarpon fish and have heard some stories. Ive had some trailer work done but they're extremely reputable. If they did accidentally drill those holes, I have to doubt they would've repaired them.. I'm just worried about internal damage and if it can be repaired. I have the holes sealed but don't know what the next step should be.

kamie
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 5:27 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

The next step is to enjoy the boat. There is nothing you can do, unless you want to open up the holes and close them up again. Personally, I would just leave them be, you may want to keep an eye on that area just to ensure there is no delamination but that's all you can do.

donp
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 5:40 AM

I don't believe there was water dripping from the hull. What bothers me is how long has this been going on? Fortunately, I trailer it and it doesn't stay in the water but still...

Do you think the foam etc is ruined?[/quote]

Did the holes look freshly drilled? In other words was the fiberglass clean inside the holes? If so and no water was dripping, my gut says the trailer shop drilled these holes and the boat never went into the water.

If not, your whaler more than likely has water in the hull like hundreds of others. Go boating.

BTW-I know how your feeling. Last year while trailering my boat I ran over something that struck my boat. Because it wasn't day light yet when I launched, I didn't notice the damage until I got done fishing for the day.

Silentpardner
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 7:08 AM
Personal Page

My question is what can be done to repair any damage to the foam or stringers or whatever might've absorbed water? Is there anything that can be done to dry out or repair any internal damage from the absorbing that water?

My answer remains the same then, YES, there are things that can be done. All these things are discussed on this site. There is NOTHING that can be done NOW without removing the repair you have already done, as others here have already told you here.
I agree with Kamie, continue to use the boat, just watch the repaired areas closely and look for signs of any problems. I don't think you are going to see any, but if your worried, observe the area of the repairs after each boating session. If you do see a problem, you will then need to either repair, or have the issue repaired.
Right now, you really don't have a problem. No water is getting in your hull at this time. If you have any evidence of a waterlogged hull, you have not stated this here. As a matter of fact, from your own statements here, we can only assume you do not have a water intrusion problem at all.

Do you think the foam etc is ruined?

If you don't believe there was water dripping from the hull, then what's your worry? If your foam was wet, or ruined, it would be dripping water. Surely, the repair shop where you had the repairs made would have discussed this issue with you. Did they? Did your repair shop tell you that you needed to do further repairs?

There are no "stringers" in your boat. It's just a fiberglass shell around foam. If there was water in the foam around those holes, your repair shop would have addressed the issue when they made the repair. This usually involves removing the wet foam and then replacing it with new foam, then closing the hole in the fiberglass.

I would not worry at all at this point and just observe the area. If you have really got a problem, it will show up.

Ive had some trailer work done but they're extremely reputable. If they did accidentally drill those holes, I have to doubt they would've repaired them

I doubt that they would have repaired them also.

Instead of vandalism, it is much more likely that the holes were accidentally drilled while doing the trailer repair. A trailer repair shop does not have the skills or the materials to repair accidentally drilled holes, but they did you a favor by alerting you about them.

Recently, on a local board to me called 2coolfishing.com, several members have had new trailers fitted to their boats at a large and reputable trailer manufacturer in Houston. One of these guys got really mad at the dealership and posted about it after going to pick up his boat and new trailer and finding 2 holes drilled into his Contender brand boat by the trailer manufacturer. It took him some time and energy, but they finally admitted they had accidentally drilled the holes. If you would like to view the story, let me know, I can do a search of that site and find the thread and link it.

My point is: reputable boat trailer shops DO have accidents.

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/20/14 - 7:20 AM

Silentpardner
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/14 - 11:57 AM
Personal Page

From the same post you just quoted in it's entirety, and in answer to your "what if" question included deep within the quote, I re-quote :)

There are no "stringers" in your boat. It's just a fiberglass shell around foam. If there was water in the foam around those holes, your repair shop would have addressed the issue when they made the repair. This usually involves removing the wet foam and then replacing it with new foam, then closing the hole in the fiberglass.

The repair, done correctly by Boston Whaler recommended procedure for a hull breach of any kind, and I again re-quote:

involves removing the wet foam and then replacing it with new foam, then closing the hole in the fiberglass.

Again, if you or your repair shop did not notice wet foam when they made your repair, you did not get water in those 2 holes. Believe me, if that foam was wet, it would definitely not have gone unnoticed by the repairman. Even when simply filling the holes with any material that has been discussed in this thread, the repairman must have intimate contact with the surrounding foam. Some of the methods cited in this thread would absolutely require dry foam to hold.
If the trailer people accidentally drilled those holes, you had the repair done before you put that boat back in the water! It would have never even been exposed to water!

Don't be sick, sick, sick... Be happy, happy, happy that you have avoided a potentially serious issue by your own and your trailer shop's quick attention :)

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/20/14 - 12:49 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 4:47 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,708,677 unique visits