View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Banana Hull Revenge
69Scout
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 7:29 PM

Comments: 0

I currently have a 1978 Montauk and am looking at an early model Revenge. The Montauk is an easy boat for one man to launch, anchor and board. The Revenge being a much a bigger boat how is it to handle single handed? The primary use of the boat is fishing the jetties and wade fishing in the bays along the Texas coast. Any thoughts are appreciated.

(please follow guideline #1 on the front page and use the full 4 digit year.)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/09/14 - 9:14 PM

kmev
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 8:23 PM

I single-hand a banana 21 Outrage all the time without issue. I don't think there's much difference at all. That said, I think a Revenge may be a slight bit more difficult due to the lack of access to the bow area like in an Outrage. From the desired use that you are describing, I think a banana Outrage may be better suited to your use.

69Scout
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 8:45 PM

Anchoring is the main concern I have. Climbing onto the bow deck will be cumbersome. Anchoring off the stern in a shallow bay I can handle. I will only anchor from the bow at the jetties which is the tricky part. I'm hoping someone will chime in who has/had a Revenge and have some thoughts.

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 9:58 PM

I have a non Banana hulled Revenge (1979 22ft) but looked seriously at the earlier models because dang, those banana hulls are cool. I went with the later modeled Revenge because anchor deployment and bow access an issue in bananas. I believe the access to the bow was a walk through windshield as well as a hatch(not sure about the hatch). Cuddy also a little cramped, not full sized like I have now. In the 1979 I installed a bow pulpit for the anchor (deploying from locker a chore) and redid the stainless rail from the bow by raising it up and extending it to the teak gunwales (otherwise my only bow access was through the hatch). Now I can tight rope to the bow outside of the cuddy. The lines of the early banana Revenge did not lend to access from the outside of the cabin. The window walk through with the ladder was a nice feature.

I can launch my boat from a ramp solo no problem. I never launched from shore and never really intend to. However, I love the cuddy cabin because all my gear is ready to go stored inside. I could see an awkward solo shore launch (maybe a hanging rope ladder from bow). Bow access a deterrent and I cannot fish off my bow. The bows are not made for heavy travel.

Garris

See if it is possible to install a pulpit in that model. If so, see if it is designed (or you can install) an anchor rode access that bypasses the hatch (if there)

Edited by gchuba on 06/10/14 - 6:12 AM

Alan Gracewski
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 12:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

69Scout: I have had a Revenge 19' ever since 1975. You can check my boat info and personal page. Here are some brief observations on a Revenge, and the implicit comparison to an Outrage of the same hull type.
1. The Revenge or Outrage 19's are not difficult for a single person to handle. A bit heavier to launch, and more subject to wind and current, but no big deal.
2. The main reason to buy a Revenge is for the protection offered by the windshield, forward deck, and convertible top & side curtains that can be added. While we have slept 4 people aboard, it is more akin to camping in a tent. Staying in a cuddy cabin with vee berths is more roomy, and you can sit up in the forward area. The Revenge 19 area under the deck is primarily a storage area.
3. The main reason to buy an Outrage would be fishing. While you can fish on a Revenge, it is mainly suited for trolling type fishing. Any casting or need to walk around the boat makes the Revenge half as useful.
4. Access to the forward deck is easy, but not as easy as the Outrage. The Revenge 19 came equipped with a two step ladder that hooks onto the dash between both fixed sections of the windshield. After opening the hinged center windshield, it is easy and safe to access the nice flat deck forward, and the bow rail is very strong to help if you lose your balance. However, if you have difficulty walking up steps or ladders or are elderly, it could be an issue. Once on the foredeck, anchoring is easy, and I have my anchor secured on the foredeck for easy letting go.

So don't worry about the increase in size, as any experienced boater can handle that. You should assess your needs for the two types of boat arrangements (deck & windshield versus center console & walk around).

Finally, in the safety department, you mention anchoring from the stern. While many people do this, it is only safe in calm conditions with little wind and current. Anchoring by the stern has caused many a boat to capsize (especially outboards) as the combination of off center pull, low freeboard at the transom, and additional drag of the flat transom vs the streamlined bow come into play. An extreme example was off the west coast of Florida some years back where some professional football players tried to pull out their stuck anchor under power. The anchor line literally pulled the stern under and flipped it upside down. As I remember, 3 of the 4 people aboard died. Tie from the bow, and if your anchor gets stuck, cut it loose. An anchor and line are cheap relative to loss of life or boat and equipment.

I would be glad to help you decide what to do.

Al

gchuba
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 6:34 PM

Al, beautiful boat. I was this close a few years ago for a similar one. When I was in my search I saw one with a hatch for anchor access. Did not quite look right but cleanly done. Do you know if a hatch for access to the cuddy was available in that model. I still think that is a great looking model but I went with the 1st series of Revenges of the next generation. Wife likes the privacy.

Garris

PS did you get the boat from Fremont/Hayward about 2 1/2 years ago

Edited by gchuba on 06/11/14 - 8:08 PM

Alan Gracewski
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/14 - 12:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Garris, thanks for the complimentary words. As noted on my personal page, I am the original owner and purchased the boat in Hawaii from McWayne Marine, which does not exist any more. It has been a great boat. It is primarily a "day boat" because accommodations for overnighting are slim. It also does not have as deep a vee hull as the later 1980's Revenges and Outrages in the 20/22/25 foot lengths. It is similar in bottom design to the unsmirked Whaler 16' hull with significant side hull sponsons for stability and a very rounded bottom at the transom. There are still a number of these that come up for sale...and I recently saw someone in Florida giving away the Revenge superstructure/deck as he was converting to a LoPro center console.

Al

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 10:27 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,705,070 unique visits