View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow/flex in the transom
Silentpardner
#21 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/14 - 10:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am having trouble following the logic here on several different levels. It is probably me.

Could someone tell me, please, how replacing a sea drive unit with a jackplate that was factory attached to an Outrage 18 full transom boat has any relevance at all, other than maybe the bolt pattern of a jackplate, to the project of adding a jackplate to 22' Revenge model that was factory equipped with a standard bolt on transom? I mean, the effective strength and buoyancy of a factory built closed transom, built for a sea drive at the factory, would seem almost certainly to be much greater than the 22' Revenge with a bolt on transom, or am I missing something here?

BTW, the fishing trip didn't go too well...managed to miss one good strike on a trolled Ballyhoo, had to return early. Sure hope I get another chance soon! Good Luck g, I feel your pain.

Phil T
#22 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 10:35 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

In re-reading a few posts, I think we have gotten off track and muddled some specifications.

A jack plate is an appendage that allows the motor to be mounted to a plate that can be raised or lowered either by a mechanical device (screw) or by hydraulics.

A set back bracket is an appendage that allows a motor to be installed a set distance "back" behind the transom.

Using a set back bracket can exacerbate the tendency for a hull to squat (due to added weight) and/or porpoise while underway.

To reduce water over the transom of a hull, one could look at reducing the weight in the stern and/or installing splash door(s).

Edited by Phil T on 06/22/14 - 10:36 AM

gchuba
#23 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 11:30 AM

Comments: 0

Phil,
In essence, my reason for the set back was greediness. I wanted to increase my deck space as well as have "splash doors" at the stern of my boat. My "splash door" is a splash board is directly on top of my transom enclosing the rear of my boat. I needed the motor completely free of stern and the 12" jack plate was my solution.

I am glad Joe posted the article that I was familiar with. In retrospect I realize I took parts of different articles and applied them to my boat. None of which was a replica of my situation. With Joe's reminder, I am actually more optimistic now. If my current reinforcement does not work instead of canning the whole idea, I'll just enclose the stern completely and have what I was after all along. A boat ride with dry feet.

Garris

Silentpardner
#24 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 11:41 AM
Personal Page

Phil, as I understand this, gchuba is using a jackplate that is also set back from the transom 12". He is NOT using a 12" jackplate by itself.

Of course, there still hasn't been any pictures posted, confusion about this is certainly understandable :)

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/22/14 - 11:43 AM

Joe Kriz
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 11:51 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Whether it is an 18', 20', 22', 25', etc., some type of bracket is needed if you want a "Full" transom.

Whaler basically had 2 types.
1. Sea Drive
2. Whaler Drive

A Sea Drive is basically the same thing as using a setback bracket or jack plate. The motor sits off the transom allowing a closed or full transom.

Finnegan ordered his 25' as a "Blank" sea drive and added his own bracket which was Armstrong or something similar I believe.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...amp;page=1
I don't remember why he just didn't purchase the Whaler Drive model but he had his own ideas.

I believe this is what gchuba is basically trying to accomplish.
A closed transom of some sort. Whether removable or permanent.

Silentpardner
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 12:02 PM
Personal Page

As I understand it, a Sea Drive unit is most certainly not the same as a jackplate. A jackplate moves an engine vertically, and is normally attached directly to the transom. A Sea drive moves the engine back away from the transom of any boat, and does not move the engine up and down.

Edited by Silentpardner on 06/22/14 - 12:04 PM

gchuba
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 12:05 PM

Comments: 0

Fellows, thanks all for the responses. Aside from research with the computer I am computer challenged for pictures and computer data transferring. My wife is with a new grandchild for another week plus and when she gets back will see about pictures/album.

Garris

Joe Kriz
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/14 - 12:15 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I think will all know that Silentpardner.
Basically the same as a Sea Drive unit however, in the way that the motor is setback off the transom like I said above.
It is a bracket no matter how you look at it.
1. Sea Drive
2. Whaler Drive (with flotation)
3. Jack Plate bracket (whether manual or hydraulic)
4. Setback bracket
5. Armstrong bracket (without flotation)

On a side note, I am not a fan of any brackets that do not provide flotation like the Whaler Drive.
Brackets can change the boat ride characteristics for the worse in some models.
Most of the time brackets are not needed unless the owner has a specific use and need for one.
I also think most brackets are ugly on a Whaler. But that is my personal opinion.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 11:03 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,625
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,052,079 unique visits