View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1979 Sport 15 - steering cable conundrum
rickngalveston
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/14 - 12:40 PM

Comments: 0

I have to replace my steering cable. I have read of some people's frustration when ordering a new Teleflex cable and following Teleflex's instructions which result in an excessively long cable. I have the regular sport console, not the shorter Striper console.

My cable removed from the boat measures 9' from threaded fitting to threaded fitting. My cable measured from end-to-end measures about 12'. I measured a new Teleflex Super-T QC 10' cable at West Marine. It's almost a perfect match in length for my 9' cable. I had expected it to be a little too long since it is a 10' cable. Obviously I don't understand their measuring system.

I was planning to buy a complete Safe-T QC helm with cable as it doesn't seem to make sense to buy only the cable. What length of cable should I buy?

I would appreciate input based on your experience with this issue.

Thanks,

Rick

huckelberry145
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/14 - 1:34 PM

Comments: 3

The cable length is the last two digits in the number stamped on the cable, or like you have already done, match it up with a new cable. Do yourself a favor and get a no feedback helm.

My original was 10'. It seems to me it doesn't matter which console you have because whaler just moves the mounting of the console a little more forward or aft depending on which one it is. My dads 1983 15' Striper had the console about 1' more forward than my 1996 Standard which had the same console. The only difference was the steering helm on the 1983 Striper was 1' more to the starboard side of the console where the Standard's console was further aft and the wheel was on the port side. It seems this is what they did to stay with a 10' cable. I decided that I wanted my steering wheel more to port so I had to get an 11' cable when I customized my boat from a Standard to a Striper.

Edited by huckelberry145 on 05/14/14 - 2:06 PM

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/14 - 4:45 PM

Comments: 16

If you are installing a new Quick Connect cable to an earlier helm, you need a special Teleflex fitting adaptor which converts the screw on fitting to a quick connect fitting. I had to do this when I installed a new cable in my 1979 Montauk.

As for steering torque (pull), always trim the engine to the point where the pull is the same in each direction, eliminating the pull. This will also be your most efficient trim position for optimizing fuel economy and speed.

Edited by Finnegan on 05/14/14 - 4:48 PM

rickngalveston
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/14 - 12:48 PM

Comments: 0

Thank you to everyone who gave advice on my steering cable replacement. As it turned out I needed the 11' cable, not the 10' cable for the best fit and look.

I removed three of the four outboard mounting bolts leaving the top, port side bolt loosened. The motor tilted easily port-to-starboard and cable was easy to remove. There is no need to remove the outboard. It helps to have another person remove/install the cable ram into the tilt tube.

I could have saved 15-20% had I not been so impatient and had ordered online.

Thanks, again.

Rick

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 4:33 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Delmartianmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,021
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,625
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,056,070 unique visits